Aston Martin AMR21

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: Aston Martin AMR21

Zynerji wrote:
04 Mar 2021, 16:59
Raleigh wrote:
04 Mar 2021, 16:16
PlatinumZealot wrote:
04 Mar 2021, 15:11

I don't get the transitional hybrid part?
Isn't it the same Mercedes suspension and gearbox. Not to mention whatever they copied from the chassis and wheelbase?
Exactly, there is no "hybrid", the AMR21 is full on low rake Mercedes style. Any difference between comparison shots are down to different angles and focal length.
Why would any of that have anything to do with the ride-height settings and the aero effects they cause?

It has been shown that the AMR01 is NOT a direct copy of the W11/12, so that means that it is developed in-house with their personnel and knowledge. It is not inconceivable that the AMR could run at 110% Mercedes ride height, even with the Merc suspension, as the aero surfaces could be tuned to do just that.

We don't know, and that's why I speculated on the possible hybridization of the 2 designs.
It would be interesting if AMR had managed to get a high (or higher) rake car work when it's so obviously based on a Mercedes aero philosophy. Mercedes themselves have said they couldn't get a high rake car, using their concept, to work. If AMR have somehow found a magic bullet that Mercedes missed, then that will be a big high-5 all round for them.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

PlatinumZealot

Zynerji wrote:
04 Mar 2021, 16:59

Why would any of that have anything to do with the ride-height settings and the aero effects they cause?

It has been shown that the AMR01 is NOT a direct copy of the W11/12, so that means that it is developed in-house with their personnel and knowledge. It is not inconceivable that the AMR could run at 110% Mercedes ride height, even with the Merc suspension, as the aero surfaces could be tuned to do just that.

We don't know, and that's why I speculated on the possible hybridization of the 2 designs.
They have pretty much committed to low rake seems. Literally whole car was designed for it. Andrew Green would be mad to take on resources and development time to mess with something that needs no fixing.

And let us not forget that low rake cars might be less affected by the floor rules. I can assume a smaller vortex is needed to seal the floor since it is closer to the ground than with a high rake car.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

PlatinumZealot wrote:
04 Mar 2021, 18:46

And let us not forget that low rake cars might be less affected by the floor rules. I can assume a smaller vortex is needed to seal the floor since it is closer to the ground than with a high rake car.
If the floor was "sealed" by a vortex along it, you might be right. But that's not really how it works, at least not in the way of a vortex running along the bottom edge of the floor like a skirt.

PlatinumZealot

Just_a_fan wrote:
04 Mar 2021, 19:04
PlatinumZealot wrote:

If the floor was "sealed" by a vortex along it, you might be right. But that's not really how it works, at least not in the way of a vortex running along the bottom edge of the floor like a skirt.
You better believe it!
All those fins and flaps are creating interacting vortices that work together to "protect" the air flows as they travel to the rear of the car. The idea is to minimize tubulent energy losses. The more internal energy the air has on it way through to the end of the car, the faster will flow under the floor and through the diffuser. If you can also prevent turbulent energy loss after it leaves the car you will have less drag.

So yeah.. The managment of vortices is pretty much a big deal. Many "trips, "strakes, " vanes and curls and tips can be seen from the front wing, barge board, floor, end plates, all the way to the end of the car.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Zynerji

PlatinumZealot wrote:
04 Mar 2021, 19:11
Just_a_fan wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:

You better believe it!
All those fins and flaps are creating interacting vortices that work together to "protect" the air flows as they travel to the rear of the car. The idea is to minimize tubulent energy losses. The more internal energy the air has on it way through to the end of the car, the faster will flow under the floor and through the diffuser. If you can also prevent turbulent energy loss after it leaves the car you will have less drag.

So yeah.. The managment of vortices is pretty much a big deal. Many "trips, "strakes, " vanes and curls and tips can be seen from the front wing, barge board, floor, end plates, all the way to the end of the car.
I believe someone just corrected us on that line of thinking in another thread. jj maybe?

MtthsMlw

First time on track

LM10
LM10

As Just_a_fan pointed out earlier already, this car looks stunning. The best from all which have been launched. The color does not only look nice on the car in it’s pure way, but it also highlights the tight lines beautifully.

Macklaren
Macklaren

Surprised that the shark-fin is green. The black shark-fin from the launch photos looks much better imo

NVM: I was fooled by the super dark lighting in the launch photos

f1rules
f1rules

i really does look good on track both the colors, design and how agressive it look

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

PlatinumZealot wrote:
04 Mar 2021, 19:11
Just_a_fan wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:

You better believe it!

Yes, but that all happens above the floor not acting as skirt.

ferkan
ferkan

Looks stunning. With lime instead of purple it would literally be 10/10.

Could be right behind Merc, even in front of RB.

hollus

Thunder wrote:
13 Feb 2021, 15:49
This is the Aston Martin AMR21 offical car thread.

Please discuss ONLY technical items of this car, and refrain from speculation.

General discussion about the team, its drivers and performance can be posted in the team thread.

Livery Talk also belongs in the Team Thread. viewtopic.php?f=15&t=29589
Rivals, not enemies.

PlatinumZealot

Just_a_fan wrote:
04 Mar 2021, 21:16

Yes, but that all happens above the floor not acting as skirt.
But i see it CFD i have done as well as other publications. Even inside the diffuser as illustrated hear by William Toet.

https://www.racetechmag.com/2017/08/wil ... diffusers/
If a body (or a large part of one) has substantial ground clearance then the chances are that there is air below that body which is relatively undisturbed. If true, then the higher the body, the more air is sitting there not being “used”. Conventional flow expansion in two dimensions is not going to take advantage of that energy (not “all” of it anyway).

I often talk about how much energy remains in the air. Now the truth is that the car is moving and the air is (relatively) still so what I’m really talking about is relative energy given the velocity of the car. It’s just easier to think of the air moving for an old man who’s done years of work in a wind tunnel!

The vortices rolling up under the diffuser take high energy air from the outside of the body and introduce it into the diffuser but, perhaps more importantly, they also take high energy air from below the level of the body and mix it into the body of airflow that is expanding under the diffuser.

That’s one mechanism that allows diffusers to remain attached even at high angles of attack.In Formula 1 diffusers are expanded both in side view and in plan view. This is in part because the height limit imposed by regulation is well below the aerodynamic optimum. There is still a positive impact on pressures and hence forces on the flat part of the floor. The trend towards running ever higher rear ride heights in Formula 1 will be in part because the entire floor can become a diffuser, in part because the teams have learned how to use vorticity to take advantage of all that air that otherwise passes under the car almost “unused”.
If you add an additional fence or strake (a vortex generator of any design really) in each side of the floor it is possible to roll up two more vortices which take advantage of that airflow energy to create downforce.
Last edited by PlatinumZealot on 05 Mar 2021, 02:23, edited 1 time in total.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

oT v1
oT v1

Re: the shrink wrap engine cover and certain similarities, is the consensus amount you guys that FI/RP/AstonMartin have worked ‘rather closely’ with Merc again?

It’s not an exact copy like last year but could we see any grumbling from a few other teams?
The Power of Dreams

Morteza

Via @NicolasF1i
Last edited by Morteza on 05 Mar 2021, 10:19, edited 1 time in total.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare