McLaren MCL35M

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Re: McLaren MCL35M

Emag wrote:
02 Mar 2021, 17:56
I am still baffled by the size of that Airbox in the Alpine though. It really seems excessively large (and that's even considering Renault has had pretty big airboxes these last couple of years)
Thank you. Airbox looks incredibly large for a modern F1 car. And to top it off, it doesn't seem they achieved a massive undercut either. Looks like McLaren has bigger undercut and less of an overhang and a smaller airbox.

Macklaren
Macklaren

So guys what do we think about the "bulge" on the Merc W12's engine cover and why the MCL35M doesn't have it? McLaren packaging simply not tight enough? or completely different packaging?

CjC
CjC

FittingMechanics wrote:
02 Mar 2021, 14:03
flexcon wrote:
02 Mar 2021, 13:58
So the way James Allison just flat out boasted about the power gains of the HPP unit.

He went straight to the "Sexy" bulge and said that was all about the power unit and the gains they have maid. Yikes...

confidence on that.
Good news on the PU front!
It’s a refreshing change to be pleased to listen to/ read about positive comments from Mercedes about their PU rather than having to grimace about them 8)
Just a fan's point of view

CjC
CjC

bauc wrote:
02 Mar 2021, 16:16
From the W12 photos of the engine cover you can actually see how much Mclaren left out on the table due to the token development limitations implemented by FIA, but still I thnik the 35M looks decent and should get out the best of that PU.
No doubt we’ll see the Silverstone team be able to take advantage of said packaging to cement their third fastest car/ closest to Red Bull status :roll:

Along with the Mercedes suspension systems :roll: :roll:

f1rules
f1rules

I really like how mclaren decided to widen its airbox/pu cover to accomodate mercs new pu, and by that making a sec "ramp" to help guide the flow down/around. Compared to mercedes that choose to slim and then put a bulge. Note, im not saying mcl's is better!, but since they had the Ren. PU with the turbo at the back they have been used to have a chubby centerline and they continue this with the Merc. PU, but then on top, they are able to have more undercut and a far more agressive ramp.
Further the trend this year, seem to be, to place the hot air exits higher, compared to previous years to free up space under. A route mclaren has followed ever since Key came in, so some of the rule changes look to have pushed concepts towards mclarens solution, which can only be good i think, since everything at the back of the mcl35 and now mcl35m has been designed for that layout, including the rear suspension. With a merc pu, that they seem very confident with, and the very agressive undercut and sidepod ramp, i really am quiet optimistic to say the least
Green circle is mercs bulge

mclaren111

@NicolasF1i

Some Nice comparisons...

ort895
ort895

After the Aston Martin reveal, the McLaren is certainly looking a little bloated. Nervous for this season.

mzso
mzso

Macklaren wrote:
02 Mar 2021, 20:38
So guys what do we think about the "bulge" on the Merc W12's engine cover and why the MCL35M doesn't have it? McLaren packaging simply not tight enough? or completely different packaging?
I think it means the other two will be more competitive, because they have superior packaging.

f1rules
f1rules

im not worried, mclaren followed a different path, with more center cooling, using that concept already last year, and now with the merc pu they have the same aggressive sidepod ramp as Aston and merc and clearly more undercut then Aston, so.

haza
haza

Going on to the bulge subject I do believe that the reason we do not see it in the McL is purely the fact that the 35M has for the last few years placed more inter coolers etc in the centre of the airbox you can see that from the engine cover having a much smaller shark fin compared to the AMR21 and W12

Emag
Emag

Well, from what we can judge visually. McLaren definitely has tighter sidepods than both Mercedes and Aston Martin (Just the sidepods, not talking about the whole packaging).

Maybe in order to get them that tight, they had to put more cooling components further up the chassis, hence bulking the center a tad bit more.

It's clearly a different philosophy compared to the other two. If it works out for McLaren, I wouldn't really worry about not having that bulge.

ort895
ort895

Forgive me if this has been answered already, but McLaren is free to slim down their engine cover right? Or is that somehow chassis related and limited by the token system?

f1rules
f1rules

yes they can

CjC
CjC

ort895 wrote:
03 Mar 2021, 17:58
After the Aston Martin reveal, the McLaren is certainly looking a little bloated. Nervous for this season.
The silverstone car definitely looks like the real deal but it was always going to be once they decided to do what they did for last season and now buying as many Merc parts as they can. I’d feel embarrassed if I was Andy Green

billamend
billamend

CjC wrote:
04 Mar 2021, 00:27
ort895 wrote:
03 Mar 2021, 17:58
The silverstone car definitely looks like the real deal but it was always going to be once they decided to do what they did for last season and now buying as many Merc parts as they can. I’d feel embarrassed if I was Andy Green
The racing trainer of Stroll participates often in the Portuguese commentary for F1 and even he makes jokes about the "photos" of the W10/W11 :shock: