McLaren MCL35M

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
CjC
CjC

Re: McLaren MCL35M

f1rules wrote:
13 Mar 2021, 12:56
yeah it only took the sky team 1.5 day to recognize the diffuser trick, though already early yesterday it was uncovered by a twitter user, would be nice if they seeked some additional info, instead of their constant bla bla bla, sometimes its to easy to be a f1 journalist
Sometimes???? :lol:
All the time I’d say
Just a fan's point of view

proteus

A little idea: why not using the liquid that can be seen only under black lights? Noone would be able to see the flow pattern, except the team in the garage.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

_cerber1

proteus wrote:
13 Mar 2021, 14:39
A little idea: why not using the liquid that can be seen only under black lights? Noone would be able to see the flow pattern, except the team in the garage.
Teams sometimes use a liquid that can only be seen under ultraviolet light.

SiLo

Is there a better pic of it yet? I think I understand what they have done but want to see it from the side a bit more.
Felipe Baby!

f1rules
f1rules

james key in amus interview
https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... view-2021/

some points
> if they could they would probably have gone the merc rear sus way like rb did, but because of tokens used on pu int.
> All these suspension designs are aero driven nowadays
> They started with basic car, added some things and more will come
> you could do a merc floor within a month, he finds it interesting
> Not far from 2020 df levels
> The initial feel, the car is living up to expectations, thats always a good start
>
Last edited by f1rules on 13 Mar 2021, 17:57, edited 1 time in total.

f1rules
f1rules

Marc.W

aerofoilf1
aerofoilf1

Marc.W wrote:
13 Mar 2021, 19:06
What kind of difference would the McLaren having upright diffuser strakes make compared to the ones who have them angled like the Merc, RB and Ferrari?
Taking the Red Bull, they are not angled, but rather trimmed at the trailing edge (very easy to think they are angled when looking at the image...!). To be legal, when viewed from below, these fences must lie within a vertical extrude of the profile where it is attached to the diffuser, which would not be the case for angled fences. This all comes from the requirement for continuity.

With regards to the benefit, it can allow you to offload the vortex (by locally offloading the tip) to keep it under control (i.e. no breakdown etc), while keeping the load at the top of the fence.

f1rules
f1rules

maybe this shows a bit better

djos

I came across this amazing shot from the Car Comparo topic - you can really see the side pod undercut at the front (left side in this shot) and how it allows for a really clean airflow back to the rear of the car. None of the other cars look like this from this angle AFAICT.

viewtopic.php?p=957363#p957363
"In downforce we trust"

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

I think one of the biggest differences is how they've profiled the rear brake duct fins. I haven't seen another team fit them that low down, or profile them to get them even lower. Those things are seriously sensitive in terms of performance, more so than the diffuser strakes.

Merc - RedBull - McLaren

Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Another quick article on Mclaren’s diffuser, how it works and why it is legal

https://racingtech1.wordpress.com/2021/ ... -diffuser/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chicane
Chicane

Key's interview to AMUS.

Highlights:

1)They have introduced some new upgrades on the first day of testing with more new parts set to arrive.

2) They could have further optimized the engine installation if they had more freedom but it is not a serious disadvantage.

3) They would have shrunk the engine cover further if they had more experience running the Mercedes PU.

4) They would have looked at the Mercedes style rear suspension for aero benefits if not for token restrictions.

5 ) McLaren are at the moment doing parallel mechanical development for 2021 and 2022 cars but the aero development is largely skewed towards 2022 car. Does not say a particular date as to when they will switch to 2022 car completely.

6) MCL35M has so far lived up to the expectations.

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... view-2021/
Quickshifter

aerofoilf1
aerofoilf1

Bargeboard comparison vs 2020