McLaren MCL35M

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
mclaren111

Re: McLaren MCL35M

Does anyone know if MCL35M also suffers from Understeer ??

the EDGE
the EDGE

mclaren111 wrote:
18 Mar 2021, 09:48
No offense meant... but what sort of question is that?

All cars will have understeer at some point, depending on Speed, track, conditions, tyres & probably many other factors

McLaren suffered from some understeer in low-speed corners sometimes last year, at higher speeds the car was one of the best balanced cars on the track. If your asking if they have cured the weakness from last year, I don't think anyone could answer that right now, other than to say the feedback from trackside commentators was the McLaren looks 'planted' through the corners

Only time will tell if Mclaren has significant low-speed shortcomings relative to over teams

what I will say, is judging by the conditions in Bahrain, there's a good chance they have improved on the car's sensitivity to wind

mclaren111

the EDGE wrote:
18 Mar 2021, 10:24
mclaren111 wrote:

All cars will have understeer at some point, depending on Speed, track, conditions, tyres & probably many other factors

McLaren suffered from some understeer in low-speed corners sometimes last year, at higher speeds the car was one of the best balanced cars on the track. If your asking if they have cured the weakness from last year, I don't think anyone could answer that right now, other than to say the feedback from trackside commentators was the McLaren looks 'planted' through the corners

Only time will tell if Mclaren has significant low-speed shortcomings relative to over teams

what I will say, is judging by the conditions in Bahrain, there's a good chance they have improved on the car's sensitivity to wind

It's a layman's question based on Mclaren's statements that MCL35 suffered from understeer...

Thank you for your answer... Quite Helpful...

PS: No offence taken.

mwillems

mclaren111 wrote:
18 Mar 2021, 11:03
the EDGE wrote:
18 Mar 2021, 10:24
mclaren111 wrote:

It's a layman's question based on Mclaren's statements that MCL35 suffered from understeer...

Thank you for your answer... Quite Helpful...

PS: No offence taken.
In the lower speed corners, the traction gained comes a bit more from mechanical grip than aero, so the required changes would be of a more mechanical nature, which would be the suspension and the way the car physically behaves in corners.

I'm not sure if the centre of gravity and weight dimensions of the Merc engine might help, or exacerbate it, but also I think we'd need tokens to alter the front suspension at least, so I'm not sure how much we can do.

But since the engine and it's packaging are smaller, you'd think the engine and packaging are lighter, which might give us more choice about where we put the ballast and help in corners. Or not, all I know is it is possible it could affect the handling of the car.

A more intelligent person might be able to discuss how the engine change could affect the car, if they feel that possible with the information we have.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

mclaren111

Thanks... Makes sense...

Morteza

Via @NicolasF1i
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

ort895
ort895

Morteza wrote:
18 Mar 2021, 21:21
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EwxfcjSXEAY ... ame=medium
Via @NicolasF1i
Some really clean shots of the diffuser. I can't wait to see if more teams adopt this solution.

PlatinumZealot

mclaren111 wrote:
Reports said balance is good. James Key seems to emphasize balance in his designs over the years.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

mclaren111

Anybody have a clear picture of the area below the Brake Duct ??

GoranF1
GoranF1

Is Mclaren diffuser trick easy to copy or not? Is it one of those "whole car build around it" thing?
Thanks.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Xero

GoranF1 wrote:
22 Mar 2021, 12:39
Is Mclaren diffuser trick easy to copy or not? Is it one of those "whole car build around it" thing?
Thanks.
Very easy to copy, but how that works with another car's package is a big unknown. These sort of details are built with the rest of the car in mind, particularly when it comes to the rear. I'm not sure it's performance gain is as big as the media is making it out to be though, so I'm doubtful any team will waste resources on it. I suspect most teams will switch development focus to 2022 fairly early this year.

Zynerji

Xero wrote:
23 Mar 2021, 00:59
GoranF1 wrote:
Thanks.
Very easy to copy, but how that works with another car's package is a big unknown. These sort of details are built with the rest of the car in mind, particularly when it comes to the rear. I'm not sure it's performance gain is as big as the media is making it out to be though, so I'm doubtful any team will waste resources on it. I suspect most teams will switch development focus to 2022 fairly early this year.
That might be exactly why every team actually shows up with it... Simple, high value, and if your competitors don't, while you do, it's an advantage early season.

skoop
skoop

Xero wrote:
GoranF1 wrote:
Thanks.
Is it that easy to copy? I read somewehere that you'd need to change your gearbox for this to work and therefore tokens. However I am not sure if this is correct or outdated information

SiLo

skoop wrote:
23 Mar 2021, 09:26
Xero wrote:
GoranF1 wrote:
Thanks.
Is it that easy to copy? I read somewehere that you'd need to change your gearbox for this to work and therefore tokens. However I am not sure if this is correct or outdated information
This change has nothing to do with the gearbox. It's just an aero piece, so no tokens needed.
Felipe Baby!

PhillipM
PhillipM

It's impact is small enough it's not really worth rushing anything on your car when you've already got your very sensitive diffusers signed off - it might be something you evaluate if you have plans to iterate on the diffuser anyway, and haven't signed the new ones over to manufacturing yet, but it's no silver bullet.