Mercedes W12

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
michl420
michl420

Re: Mercedes W12

f1rules wrote:
02 Mar 2021, 19:28
if merc allow a bulge like that the gain should be pretty... decent one would think?
I think a bulge in that area has very little, if any, impact. It`s too far away from any critical aero parts. I mean look what Alpine has done.

aleks_ader

At end of V8 era with Merc, Ferrari, Force India and many others we got that bulges on engine covers. Ofc V8 were bigger and longer from architecture standpoint so they hit limits early. Plus now we got Halo vortices witch should help in attaching flow in that area. Or at least made effect less prominent. Not concern if better overall flow structure overweigh the slight bugger with that bulge.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

PlatinumZealot

desl wrote:
02 Mar 2021, 13:01
That is big azz diffuser throat.. not sure if that's legal?! An illusion? Or testing equipment. We have seen testing equipment mounted here in the past.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

PlatinumZealot wrote:
02 Mar 2021, 21:05
That is big azz diffuser throat.. not sure if that's legal?! An illusion? Or testing equipment. We have seen testing equipment mounted here in the past.
I think they said they covered it up, so probably just something to block view.

godlameroso

El Scorchio wrote:
02 Mar 2021, 17:36
godlameroso wrote:
02 Mar 2021, 17:29
Just_a_fan wrote:
02 Mar 2021, 17:24

But they don't have to do that if they don't want to. It's not a requirement in order to go non-DAS this year. If they can get more from the tokens used elsewhere then that's where the tokens will be used.

So we will need to see a modified tub to be able to say they've done that.
Mercedes themselves stated they were going to use tokens at the front. I suppose it's to change things up front since they got rid of DAS. That's speculation on my part, but they are on record saying tokens were spent at the front.
James Allison said today they have not stated where their tokens were spent.

"We have spent our tokens, but we won't reveal how we used them just yet. That'll become clear in good time," he added, ominously.

If you have a statement to the contrary, it would be very interesting.
Look at where the steering rack tie rods are mounted on the W12 vs the W11. If you have to change the pick up points on the tub for the lower wishbone and steering rack tie rods, wouldn't that take 2 tokens?
Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

Did Mercedes spend its tokens copying RB16's dual bulkhead?
Saishū kōnā

El Scorchio

godlameroso wrote:
02 Mar 2021, 21:37
El Scorchio wrote:
godlameroso wrote:
02 Mar 2021, 17:29

Mercedes themselves stated they were going to use tokens at the front. I suppose it's to change things up front since they got rid of DAS. That's speculation on my part, but they are on record saying tokens were spent at the front.

"We have spent our tokens, but we won't reveal how we used them just yet. That'll become clear in good time," he added, ominously.

Look at where the steering rack tie rods are mounted on the W12 vs the W11. If you have to change the pick up points on the tub for the lower wishbone and steering rack tie rods, wouldn't that take 2 tokens?
No idea of the specific ins and outs of what and where requires a token and what doesn't.
Do you have anything from the team saying they were spending the tokens up the front or is it nothing but speculation on your part?

nevill3

Any body know what this cut out could be

Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

PlatinumZealot

godlameroso wrote:

Not for punching holes and the like.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

nevill3 wrote:
02 Mar 2021, 21:58

https://i.imgur.com/ScoAv6R.jpg
Cover plate for access electronics or something else

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

nevill3 wrote:

Looks more like a reflection or a shadow than an cut out.

jjn9128

PlatinumZealot wrote:
02 Mar 2021, 21:05
desl wrote:
02 Mar 2021, 13:01
https://i.imgur.com/OCRVBWU.png
Looks like a pretty standard F1 diffuser to me. There's a bit of foreshortening from the angle of the image but the diffuser kick of a modern diffuser, since '09, is pretty extreme. The top surface also doesn't follow the bottom surface, instead it's designed to create as high a pressure as possible to increase downforce.

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
02 Mar 2021, 22:07
nevill3 wrote:

This ^
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
02 Mar 2021, 22:07
nevill3 wrote:

you can see still a light reflectively flowing on top of it, it's not open, it's a shadow of something else.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

cheeRS
cheeRS

LM10 wrote:
02 Mar 2021, 20:19
f1rules wrote:
02 Mar 2021, 19:28
if merc allow a bulge like that the gain should be pretty... decent one would think?
I don't feel that this bulge will have a significant negative effect aerodynamically.
I understand what you're saying, but this is not how F1 teams think and absolutely not how Merc engineers think. The whole philisophy of the team is essentially, "hundreds of tiny gains add up to big, significant ones".

Thus, a bulge like that on an otherwise shrinkwrapped engine cover means that it is a quite important bulge, lol. It terms of how much sheer downforce it gives away or drag it adds, we'll never know.
🤭 wrote:
“Being the 'most successful statistically' has nothing to do with being the 'best'. neither when it comes to the cars, nor when it comes to the drivers” 😂

godlameroso

El Scorchio wrote:
02 Mar 2021, 21:51
godlameroso wrote:
El Scorchio wrote:

No idea of the specific ins and outs of what and where requires a token and what doesn't.
Do you have anything from the team saying they were spending the tokens up the front or is it nothing but speculation on your part?
Well they have not stated it directly, indirectly they have stated they did NOT change their transmission, or rear end of the car. Because they no longer have DAS, because they have opportunity to reposition the front lower control arm and steering rack, one would logically conclude the tokens were spent on the front.
Saishū kōnā