Ferrari SF21

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
tpe
tpe

Re: Ferrari SF21

Still, Ferrari's RW looks bigger than for example Apline, Alpha Tauri, Red Bull, McLaren...
I will wait for the next 2-3 races obviously to see if this is a pattern.

wowgr8
wowgr8

tpe wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 21:25
Still, Ferrari's RW looks bigger than for example Apline, Alpha Tauri, Red Bull, McLaren...
Because every team will have different interpretations of different tracks. Bahrain is not Monza where everyone runs no wing or Monaco where everyone runs maximum wing. It's not as simple as "we don't have downforce run the full rear wing". I see them running the big wing as a positive, they don't feel they need to compromise their wing setup to compensate for less power. Ultimately it doesn't make sense to compare wings with other cars because every car is different and has different needs and priorities

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

wowgr8 wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 22:44
tpe wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 21:25
Because every team will have different interpretations of different tracks. Bahrain is not Monza where everyone runs no wing or Monaco where everyone runs maximum wing. It's not as simple as "we don't have downforce run the full rear wing". I see them running the big wing as a positive, they don't feel they need to compromise their wing setup to compensate for less power. Ultimately it doesn't make sense to compare wings with other cars because every car is different and has different needs and priorities
It also doesn’t really matter when Ferrari outperformed Alpine, AT, and at least 1 McLaren with a seemingly larger rear wing. It’s become almost a p*ssing contest, mostly because of poor commentary, with people saying “wow look how skinny red bulls rear wing is” (for example). It’s meaningless in isolation. For them in previous years that has been to compensate for less engine compared to merc, so it’s not like a “wow look how innovative” moment, it’s just different.

Schippke
Schippke

I'm somewhat fascinated by the 'Bigger Rear Wing' discussion here; I look at it very much as a storm in a tea cup.

If Ferrari thought it would be better to run a smaller rear wing... they would've. Clearly, they run the larger one as it works best with its current aerodynamic philosophy. A big thing about aerodynamics is finding a balance... so if they wanted to run a lower downforce rear wing, they very well could've... but they might've struggled for rear-end stability in the bends for example and would need to balance out the front wing/setup to compensate.

I wouldn't be at all surprised seeing other teams running higher downforce rear wings in a lot of races even with a lot of straights to compensate for the loss of rear downforce from the new floor/diffuser regulations. Most likely we'll see Ferrari (and others) run lower downforce setups at the likes of Spa and Monza (maybe Canada too?)... but I digress.

Anyway, lets get back on topic to SF21 (and yes, I know I'm being a hypocrite in saying that!). :oops:

jumpingfish

I don't think only SF21 had big RW. It was Red Bull with smaller one 8)

wowgr8
wowgr8

Top flap of the front wing look trimmed to anyone else? Looks smaller than the launch spec iirc

aerofoilf1
aerofoilf1

wowgr8 wrote:
30 Mar 2021, 14:03
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Exuafj1XMAM ... name=large

Top flap of the front wing look trimmed to anyone else? Looks smaller than the launch spec iirc
Correct - you can see here a comparison. This was run from FP2 onwards together with removal of T-wing, which probably made possible the correct aero balance even with the trimmed flap.

ryaan2904
ryaan2904

Even if not by much, Ferrari's still behind engine wise :roll:
CFD Eyes of Sauron

wowgr8
wowgr8

ryaan2904 wrote:
30 Mar 2021, 17:33
Well they were supposedly 40hp down on Mercedes last year, and Mercedes are said to have gained up to 30hp over the winter so it's very unrealistic to expect them to make a 70hp jump in a year. The engine is competitive though, and is enough to have them compete with McLaren at the top of F1.5 even at a power sensitive circuit

Binotto said their goal is now to try and be at the top of the power rankings next year, we'll see about that

LM10
LM10

wowgr8 wrote:
30 Mar 2021, 17:50
ryaan2904 wrote:
Well they were supposedly 40hp down on Mercedes last year, and Mercedes are said to have gained up to 30hp over the winter so it's very unrealistic to expect them to make a 70hp jump in a year. The engine is competitive though, and is enough to have them compete with McLaren at the top of F1.5 even at a power sensitive circuit

Binotto said their goal is now to try and be at the top of the power rankings next year, we'll see about that
When did he tell that? I must have missed it. Any sources maybe?

ryaan2904
ryaan2904

wowgr8 wrote:
30 Mar 2021, 17:50
ryaan2904 wrote:

Yeah. I really hope that split turbo next year brings that 2019 feeling back.
CFD Eyes of Sauron

wowgr8
wowgr8

LM10 wrote:
30 Mar 2021, 17:52

Interpretation of "strong" is up in the air. Best of anybody was just an optimistic shout from me

LM10
LM10

wowgr8 wrote:
30 Mar 2021, 18:24
LM10 wrote:
30 Mar 2021, 17:52

Interpretation of "strong" is up in the air. Best of anybody was just an optimistic shout from me
Alright, thank you!

Giando

I hope this thing might be accepted as 'technical'...

Leclerc seems to be seated way higher than Sainz in the cockpit, his helmet is partially covering the airscope intake lower part...

Here you can also make a comparison with the other teams drivers... he's the only one whose helmet upper part is visible over the halo.

Quite strange, isn't it?

wowgr8
wowgr8

Probably to do with his driving style and wanting to see apexes/the corners of the car better? I wish it was easier for fans to get these sort of questions to the drivers