Ferrari SF21

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Giando

Re: Ferrari SF21

wowgr8 wrote:
30 Mar 2021, 22:29
Probably to do with his driving style and wanting to see apexes/the corners of the car better? I wish it was easier for fans to get these sort of questions to the drivers
i don't know... last year in the SF1000 which should share the same chassis with the SF21, it wasn't like that...

ryaan2904
ryaan2904

I think Driver61 at YouTube touched upon Leclerc's driving style in his latest video. He pauses at a certain point in his clip where in you can see leclerc looking literally sideways, towards the apex of the corner. Maybe its something he added to his driving style?
Tho I don't think that can be very good for the intake behind...
CFD Eyes of Sauron

mika vs michael
mika vs michael

Leclerc said that he will try to pick the right fights on the track this year. I think now he has a better viewing angle...
"It is necessary to relax your muscles when you can. Relaxing your brain is fatal." Stirling Moss

I tried this and I had understeer, I tried that and I had oversteer, at the end of the corner I just run out of talent

hUirEYExbN

ryaan2904 wrote:
31 Mar 2021, 06:29
I think Driver61 at YouTube touched upon Leclerc's driving style in his latest video. He pauses at a certain point in his clip where in you can see leclerc looking literally sideways, towards the apex of the corner. Maybe its something he added to his driving style?
Tho I don't think that can be very good for the intake behind...
That's fairly standard driver behaviour, you look where you are heading.

This is why they often run into each other :)

FDD
FDD

"The first updates to the SF21 will arrive for Imola: these are changes that had already been planned, while others are coming, the result of the experiences that emerged from collective tests.

In the wind tunnel, for example, the two vertical bulkheads were tested that McLaren has cleverly introduced under the central part of the diffuser where there is no restriction of the height of 50 mm from the reference plane. It is not certain that the same solution works properly under the Ferrari diffuser. The attention of the aerodynamics is focused on the search for the load and there is talk of modifications to the bottom: the indentation of Aston Martin and Mercedes on the trailing edge could be introduced, also introducing other vortex generators in front of the rear wheels.

Even a muzzle with a different integration of the cape that has the task of directing the flow towards the bottom is not excluded. And on the approved 065/6 engine it is not excluded that small updates may arrive on the unconstrained parts to find a few more horsepower."

Xwang
Xwang

I haven't found too many comments on Ferrari's interpretation of the cape.
It is something that I didn't expect and it seems somewhat innovative in trying to match a full cape design with a large nose.
What do you think about it?

Ringleheim
Ringleheim

Sainz is 5'10" tall.

Leclerc is 5'11" tall, so he's an inch taller. That probably has as much to do with it as anything.

Ever see rich guys driving around in purchased, old (but modern) F1 cars? Sometimes it is ridiculous how high they sit in the cockpit, with their helmet completely blocking the air intake.

It's because they are basically too big to be driving an F1 car.

Neither Ferrari driver is a small person, but 5"11" is starting to get too tall for F1.

On top of this, Leclerc may prefer a slightly higher view; not sure.

I'm sure they are trying to get him as low as they can.

ScrewCaptain27

Ringleheim wrote:
31 Mar 2021, 20:00
Sainz is 5'10" tall.

Leclerc is 5'11" tall, so he's an inch taller. That probably has as much to do with it as anything.

Ever see rich guys driving around in purchased, old (but modern) F1 cars? Sometimes it is ridiculous how high they sit in the cockpit, with their helmet completely blocking the air intake.

Neither Ferrari driver is a small person, but 5"11" is starting to get too tall for F1.

There are also drivers like Vettel who are of more average height but still like to sit higher in the car.
IIRC the Schumacher brothers and David Coulthard (who is taller than Leclerc) never looked like they stuck out of the car, and they had much lower cockpits back then. So it is mostly down to driver preference.
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

Giando

Ringleheim wrote:
Sainz is 5'10" tall.

Yes of course i knew about that difference.

Still, in the same carbon monocoque as last year, he is visibly sitting higher than 2020 and his helmet comes slighlty out over the halo in the front section view, again compared to 2020...

wowgr8
wowgr8

https://www.formu1a.uno/ferrari-in-bahr ... a-ridursi/

Lots of juicy info from formu1a.uno . Says Ferrari were running the PU conservatively last weekend

The SF21 (even with Alfa, which, having a very efficient car, defended itself well in terms of top speeds) is the car that suffered the most from clipping in the last 200 full-throttle meters of the main straight. Second Mercedes. Red Bull much less. Defending itself very well in the other two straights

Ferrari seems to have wanted (or had to) keep some HP at rest for an apparently cautious choice regarding reliability. He could have extracted further performance (0.150) from the PU setup and tuning on a track where this aspect is the most incisive.

At the tests Ferrari were believed to be about 20 HP behind Mercedes (similar to Honda) , 4 tenths in Bahrain, it will be able to increase by 5 HP if it manages to solve small 'collateral problems', reaching a gap of 15 HP. It would be a great result. Provided that Mercedes does not quickly solve some small problems with the endothermic of its PU

hUirEYExbN

wowgr8 wrote:
01 Apr 2021, 01:31
Ferrari seems to have wanted (or had to) keep some HP at rest for an apparently cautious choice regarding reliability. He could have extracted further performance (0.150) from the PU setup and tuning on a track where this aspect is the most incisive.
0.15 what?

LM10
LM10

hUirEYExbN wrote:
01 Apr 2021, 10:27
wowgr8 wrote:
0.15 what?
Seconds, so 1.5 tenths of a second.

hUirEYExbN

LM10 wrote:
01 Apr 2021, 10:32
hUirEYExbN wrote:
01 Apr 2021, 10:27
wowgr8 wrote:
0.15 what?
Seconds, so 1.5 tenths of a second.
Ahh, thank you.

LM10
LM10

wowgr8 wrote:
https://www.formu1a.uno/ferrari-in-bahr ... a-ridursi/

Lots of juicy info from formu1a.uno . Says Ferrari were running the PU conservatively last weekend

The SF21 (even with Alfa, which, having a very efficient car, defended itself well in terms of top speeds) is the car that suffered the most from clipping in the last 200 full-throttle meters of the main straight. Second Mercedes. Red Bull much less. Defending itself very well in the other two straights

At the tests Ferrari were believed to be about 20 HP behind Mercedes (similar to Honda) , 4 tenths in Bahrain, it will be able to increase by 5 HP if it manages to solve small 'collateral problems', reaching a gap of 15 HP. It would be a great result. Provided that Mercedes does not quickly solve some small problems with the endothermic of its PU
Now, that would mean a really major step Ferrari must have done over winter. That sounds encouraging of course and F1uno is one of the most reliable sources, but still, such articles always need to be taken with a pinch of salt.

sucof

Ringleheim wrote:
Sainz is 5'10" tall.

Leclerc is 5'11" tall, so he's an inch taller. That probably has as much to do with it as anything....
Do not forget that not everybody have the same leg length. Meaning, two identically tall person could look completely different when sitting on a chair, because of their proportions.