Ferrari SF21

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
tpe
tpe

Re: Ferrari SF21

I see a lot of "holes"/intakes in the nose.
I cannot understand where they guide the air.
Also the outlets at the side of the cockpit, they seem to be almost parallel to the intakes in the bargeboard area.
I think it's an interesting car and maybe we should pay some attention to its details.

PlatinumZealot

Not quite. That thin peice is the little hidden wing that Mercedes and RedBull have been using for about two years now. You can see that the wishbones are in thw conventional locations.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

F1doc
F1doc

wowgr8 wrote: ↑
10 Mar 2021, 21:53

Spending the tokens on a gearbox change has allowed Ferrari to make a further significant change. The differential has been raised so as to create deeper side channels in that aerodynamically-sensitive area. The new casing incorporates that change too.
Raising the diff will raise the CoG.

This looks like all the hallmarks of bodging all the trendy ideas into one. It won't be long to find out how it might perform on the track. I'm keeping my expectations low.

FrukostScones

Sevach wrote: ↑
10 Mar 2021, 18:25
Ferrari is one of the most modified cars i can see (Alpine also is quite different from the old Renault).
They managed change the nose and cape around the structure of the old nose.
Sidepods went even more in Red Bulls direction, inlets very similar, drop more noticeable.

Looks more "trendy" closer to what the big boys are doing, let's see how fast it is.
so it looks like 2020 was really the "write-off" (punishment?)..

2021 is the real 2020 and beyond.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

PlatinumZealot

I dont know about you guys, but I'm liking how the car looks. If all works out it will be fighting for podiums, which is no mean feat this year with two solid RedBulls.

wowgr8
wowgr8

FrukostScones wrote: ↑
11 Mar 2021, 00:44

so it looks like 2020 was really the "write-off" (punishment?)..

2021 is the real 2020 and beyond.
They'd "written off" 2020 because at the time focus was on the 2021 car and rules, and you know the rest

Predator

Spent a bit of time capturing and enhancing stills from the launch video. As always, the teams darken areas PP to hide sensitive areas. Didn't have time to highlight all the differences but I'm sure you can all see for yourselves.

PlatinumZealot

It has the nostrils of a bat.
Can it win the dark?

TimmTurbo
TimmTurbo

Looks a tiny bit leaner compared to 2020..... but I guess they will continue sandbagging throughout the season again πŸ˜‚

FDD
FDD

PlatinumZealot wrote: ↑
11 Mar 2021, 00:47
I dont know about you guys, but I'm liking how the car looks. If all works out it will be fighting for podiums, which is no mean feat this year with two solid RedBulls.
Yes, absolutely, I like the look of the car also and I hope that tests in Bahrain will show its level of performance especialy in relation to MERC & RB.

JordanMugen

Macklaren wrote: ↑
10 Mar 2021, 15:31
Sorry for the dumb question...but isn't the halo supposed to be made of titanium? is that just a carbon wrap?
In F1, an aerodynamic fairing is allowed.

This is the titanium halo:

Zynerji

Can we call this nose the "Viper" nose?

Pretty please?

Sevach
Sevach

PlatinumZealot wrote: ↑
11 Mar 2021, 00:47
In a year where most teams are presenting cars that look very close to last season models, Ferrari succeeded in making this look a lot more advanced than what they had before.

Still, the proof needs to be on the racetrack.

raymondu999

It seems like Ferrari have gone for a more hybrid route, no? Not quite the RB teardrop shape, not quite the ramped sidepod, but kind of an in-between?
ε€±θ΄₯θ€…ζ‰Ύη†η”±οΌŒζˆεŠŸθ€…ζ‰Ύζ–Ήζ³•

Ringleheim
Ringleheim

At the rear, try to follow the lower A-arms inboard to where they terminate on the gearbox itself.

You can't! The pickup point is buried way in there and you can't really see it!

The new gearbox and suspension work seems to have paid off, as that is one mega tight rear end!

Now, does it actually work? We'll find out I guess.