2021 Emilia Romagna Grand Prix - Imola, Apr 16 - 18

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: 2021 Emilia Romagna Grand Prix - Imola, Apr 16 - 18

MKlaus wrote:
14 Apr 2021, 13:49
dxpetrov wrote:
14 Apr 2021, 08:43
proteus wrote:
14 Apr 2021, 07:40

There is one flaw - a red flag. If it happens, it can stretch qualifying well into the timeframe of burial ceremony.
They will probably postpone the burial as they seem so interconnected and dependant of each other. #-o
what's the big deal here? a dignitary passing away happens everywhere. is it such an issue to alter the race weekend and worry about sessions getting elongated for red flag reasons? f1 doesn't pay heed to human rights issues across globe and goes racing in countries with questionabe human rights credentials, but are empathetic to an individual's demise?
A significant amount of UK and Commenwealth will be in mourning, including some F1 workers I suppose.

The other thing too is the PR aspect. If F1 went racing during the funeral it will be seen as disrespectful in some quarters.. the backlash might even cause funding to be withdrawn or future sponsors might be lest willing to give/ lend F1 money over it.

When the Queen's time comes it might be even a race being shifted by an entire weekend.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

V12-POWER
V12-POWER

PlatinumZealot wrote:
15 Apr 2021, 15:36
MKlaus wrote:
14 Apr 2021, 13:49
dxpetrov wrote:
14 Apr 2021, 08:43

They will probably postpone the burial as they seem so interconnected and dependant of each other. #-o
what's the big deal here? a dignitary passing away happens everywhere. is it such an issue to alter the race weekend and worry about sessions getting elongated for red flag reasons? f1 doesn't pay heed to human rights issues across globe and goes racing in countries with questionabe human rights credentials, but are empathetic to an individual's demise?
A significant amount of UK and Commenwealth will be in mourning, including some F1 workers I suppose.

The other thing too is the PR aspect. If F1 went racing during the funeral it will be seen as disrespectful in some quarters.. the backlash might even cause funding to be withdrawn or future sponsors might be lest willing to give/ lend F1 money over it.

When the Queen's time comes it might be even a race being shifted by an entire weekend.

F1 has no relationship with prince Philip, there is literally no moral/ethical reason to modify the schedules

the thing is overblown and absurd. It’s as if some randoms decide to ask me to not work during a day in respect for someone who has passed away and has no relationship whatsoever in my business

cooken
cooken

Surely they are just worried about a dip in viewership. I doubt it's really about respect or disrespect, just ratings and money.

El Scorchio

cooken wrote:
15 Apr 2021, 16:27
Surely they are just worried about a dip in viewership. I doubt it's really about respect or disrespect, just ratings and money.
Probably not about ratings- I very much doubt those who have access to live broadcasts of races/qualifying in the UK and usually watch it are the sort who would give it a miss for the Duke's funeral. In any case it's probably quite hard to find many examples of a one television household that has Sky, so it would just be on on another screen at the same time. It could be possible that ad spot rates would be a little lower at any clashing time with the funeral so there wouldn't be a maximising of ad revenue, but the demo Sky sports is measured against wouldn't have a lot of crossover with those likely to be watching the funeral instead so i think in terms of money it's negligible too.

I think it's about perception more than anything. To be seen to be making the gesture is a big tick, and to not do it would be frowned upon. I think it's undoubtedly because of the UK's strong ties with the sport, even though the affected event is taking place in another country. It is a shame though, that the same courtesy would probably not be afforded to royalty from other countries in similar circumstances.

zibby43
zibby43

Marko had convinced some people that Red Bull had lost 59 seconds a lap compared to their actual pace due to the tiniest of car issues in Bahrain.

Luckily, Max, the straight shooter, rubbished all that hyperbole today:

“I think my floor, it was fixed before the race, so that was all good,” Verstappen explained. “I did have a problem with the diff in the beginning, but that was fixed after a few laps. But that was just giving me a lot of inside wheelspin in the first few laps. For sure that is not great on the tyres because I felt a lot better once we put the other set on for the second stint.”

dans79

zibby43 wrote:
15 Apr 2021, 17:44
Marko had convinced some people that Red Bull had lost 59 seconds a lap compared to their actual pace due to the tiniest of car issues in Bahrain.

“I think my floor, it was fixed before the race, so that was all good,” Verstappen explained. “I did have a problem with the diff in the beginning, but that was fixed after a few laps. But that was just giving me a lot of inside wheelspin in the first few laps. For sure that is not great on the tyres because I felt a lot better once we put the other set on for the second stint.”
Yea, his dislike for propaganda has always set him apart from the senior management of his team!
197 104 103 7

zibby43
zibby43

dans79 wrote:
15 Apr 2021, 18:07
zibby43 wrote:

Yea, his dislike for propaganda has always set him apart from the senior management of his team!
It’s one of the characteristics I really respect with Verstappen. Awesome candor. He is not one for excuses, either. I’ll give him props for that.

Schuttelberg

zibby43 wrote:
15 Apr 2021, 18:37
dans79 wrote:
zibby43 wrote:

It’s one of the characteristics I really respect with Verstappen. Awesome candor. He is not one for excuses, either. I’ll give him props for that.
Most F1 drivers on the grid today just accept mistakes. It's a really good grid. I can only think of one guy on the grid who offers regular pathetic excuses week in and week out.

I have a sneaky feeling Vettel will retire mid season this year.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

djos

zibby43 wrote:
15 Apr 2021, 18:37
dans79 wrote:
zibby43 wrote:

Yeah, I love that about him too. Danny Ric and Charles Leclerc are the other drivers who I really admire for telling the truth. Eg it was fascinating to see how hard Daniel was on himself after Bahrain despite giving it everything - then it turns out 15% of his diffuser had been broken off by Gasly in the early stages of the race and his "poor" race turned out to be a heroic AF drive!

Compare that to Vettel who blames everyone but himself, even when he makes a blatant mistakes (eg rear-ending other drivers, spinning by himself etc etc).
Last edited by djos on 16 Apr 2021, 01:25, edited 2 times in total.
"In downforce we trust"

Zynerji

#YukiWinsWetImola😇😇

NathanOlder

Zynerji wrote:
15 Apr 2021, 23:49
#YukiWinsWetImola😇😇
#YukanKeepDreamin :lol: :lol:
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Zynerji

NathanOlder wrote:
16 Apr 2021, 00:00
Zynerji wrote:
15 Apr 2021, 23:49
#YukiWinsWetImola😇😇
#YukanKeepDreamin :lol: :lol:
🤣🤣🤣

zibby43
zibby43

search wrote:
15 Apr 2021, 11:48
that seems to be the way they do it in Italy. When I visited the Giro a couple of years ago, they started the roadworks 4 hours before arrival ;)

https://i.imgur.com/0qVDQby.jpg
Ha! That's hilarious. Great photo and thanks for sharing.

djos wrote:
15 Apr 2021, 23:28
Yeah, I love that about him too. Danny Ric and Charles Leclerc are the other drivers who I really admire for telling the truth. Eg it was fascinating to see how hard Daniel was on himself after Bahrain despite giving it everything - then it turns out 15% of his diffused had been broken off by Gasly in the early stages of the race and his "poor" race turned out to be a heroic AF drive!
I think this is one of the more talented driver lineups we've had in F1 in the hybrid era. Charles is really starting to develop a knack for pulling out laps beyond what the car is capable of on a regular basis now. Both him and Danny Ric are very likeable.

I'm glad Pierre got his chance to shine for AT, too. I no longer view AT as junior team, but as true "sister" team to RBR.

djos

zibby43 wrote:
16 Apr 2021, 00:17
search wrote:
15 Apr 2021, 11:48
that seems to be the way they do it in Italy. When I visited the Giro a couple of years ago, they started the roadworks 4 hours before arrival ;)

https://i.imgur.com/0qVDQby.jpg
Ha! That's hilarious. Great photo and thanks for sharing.

djos wrote:
15 Apr 2021, 23:28
Yeah, I love that about him too. Danny Ric and Charles Leclerc are the other drivers who I really admire for telling the truth. Eg it was fascinating to see how hard Daniel was on himself after Bahrain despite giving it everything - then it turns out 15% of his diffused had been broken off by Gasly in the early stages of the race and his "poor" race turned out to be a heroic AF drive!
I think this is one of the more talented driver lineups we've had in F1 in the hybrid era. Charles is really starting to develop a knack for pulling out laps beyond what the car is capable of on a regular basis now. Both him and Danny Ric are very likeable.

I'm glad Pierre got his chance to shine for AT, too. I no longer view AT as junior team, but as true "sister" team to RBR.
So true!

I do feel a little sorry for Gasly, RBR promoted him way too early and Max just wiped the floor with him and destroyed his confidence. It'll be interesting to see how competitive Perez will be with Max - I doubt it he'll be as competitive as Daniel was, however, he's very good, just not quite in that top tier of driver imo.
"In downforce we trust"

Mansell89
Mansell89

Will Imola give us much in the way of different car strengths and weaknesses as Bahrain other than cooler temps?

Trying to do my homework and amateur reading on the technical parts of the track and a few comments say it’s rear limited and relatively power sensitive, which sounds similar to Bahrain?

What else does Imola provide this weekend when we start the analysis car strengths and weaknesses?