2021 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 16 - 18

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Big Tea

Re: 2021 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 16 -18

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
22 Jul 2021, 14:38
Can I just ask, what those that support HAM think about the stewards saying he was predominantly to blame? Why do you think this is?

I can see why VER had some part of the blame coming to him. Yes he did absolutely leave racing room but perhaps could have turned in slightly later (I wasn’t driving, I guess he wanted to try and make the corner side by side somehow and thought he had to turn in this hard). But perhaps he could have done it at less of a turn in ratio?

But where do you think HAM was actually at fault? I genuinely want to know.
( Not a 100% HAM supporter, I also like several others including Max) To me it is because he was in the wrong place.
Leave aside if he was allowed to be there or intended to be there, it is there he was and that triggered the accident.
It is also fair to say the same about Max, but I think he got his punishment for the offense by the result.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

dans79

the EDGE wrote:
22 Jul 2021, 15:30
Sorry but this is nothing but made up narrative to try to justify a point
You are free to believe what you want, but here is what one steward had to say about penalizing max in Austin 2017.

https://www.racefans.net/2021/02/06/str ... s-steward/
“Boy did we cop a lot of criticism,” Connelly recalled. “We were public enemies number one in the Netherlands and all the Red Bull fans around the world were up in arms and a lot of other people as well.”

Imo, they absolutely know thats some decisions will draw a lot of attention to themselves. I have a vague recollection of one steward mentioning he felt he should sneak out of Monza after penalizing a Ferrari driver!
197 104 103 7

Wouter

PlatinumZealot wrote:
22 Jul 2021, 15:25
Ryar wrote:
22 Jul 2021, 15:12

More than enough for debates here i think. Especially when all that folks do is find a way to deny it. I am sure the outcome isn't going to be different even if post Phd thesis as people have taken position in this argument.
Why do you care about the 51G so much?

What does that have to do with the incident on track?

Max caused it on himself. Should have backed out.
If it were Maldonado on the inside he would have thought twice about cutting across. God I miss Maldonado.
Just laughable! It was Max's fault?? So you think Max should step aside for His Royal Highness Sir Lewis! :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:
The Power of Dreams!

SiLo

I wish I could rate this post up.
Felipe Baby!

dans79

the EDGE wrote:
you also have this from the same stewards decision.

https://f1i.com/news/283793-mika-salo-g ... nalty.html
Mika Salo
"I have received death threats, mainly from Holland," he told Finland's SuomiF1.
197 104 103 7

maxxer
maxxer

Jolle wrote:
22 Jul 2021, 09:47
Kingshark wrote:
22 Jul 2021, 08:59
Just_a_fan wrote:
22 Jul 2021, 08:53

Hamilton had a big handful of lock applied in to the corner and was going around the corner. Ergo, he was turning.
Well, given the fact that Verstappen gave him approximately 2 car widths of space down the inside and Hamilton still ran into him, evidently he didn’t steer early enough for the situation he found himself in (carrying lots of speed and on a narrow angle).
If you are on the inside line, you have to steer later instead of earlier to make the corner (with less speed, to rotate the car more). If you steer in to soon, you will miss the corner.
As for “Verstappen left him enough space” (if the FIA/Allison guide lines are applied) is a simple no, because they collided. In a case of “it needs two to tango”, Hamilton was leading in this case, and would have first dibs on the line he wanted to make the corner, Verstappen should have give him space to do so (and that is why Hamilton gave him all the space a few corners before that).

With the FIA/Allison rules in hand, Verstappen should of let his car run his car much wider (like Hamilton did earlier in the turn).
Agree totally and set up for a possible overtake if his car was fast enough which on the preceding corners it didnt seem to be

maxxer
maxxer

Charles was hust holding back knowing they would take eachother out at some point lol

Marty_Y
Marty_Y

Does anyone remember a couple of years ago when there were a lot of inconsistencies with penalties when Mercedes and Ferrari were in a close battle, they decided to start using black and white warning flags again, it seems they have given up on using them again, but it just shows that there is always knee jerk reactions to make it look like something is being done.

Marty_Y
Marty_Y

Marty_Y wrote:
22 Jul 2021, 16:26
Does anyone remember a couple of years ago when there were a lot of inconsistencies with penalties when Mercedes and Ferrari were in a close battle, they decided to start using black and white warning flags again, it seems they have given up on using them again, but it just shows that there is always knee jerk reactions to make it look like something is being done.
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/black ... 1/4989221/

Wouter

Toto Wolff visited the stewards at the British Grand Prix when they were investigating the incident involving Max Verstappen and Lewis Hamilton. Red Bull Racing strongly criticised the incident and now the FIA agrees with the objections made by the Austrian racing team.

FIA director Michael Masi sent the new directive to all teams on Wednesday, PA news agency reported. The purpose of the email was that Masi wanted to "clarify the way in which a competitor, its duly authorised representatives and/or drivers are granted access to the stewards' office."

"Access to the stewards’ office is strictly limited to the stewards, the stewards’ secretary and the stewards operator. Admission is only permitted with the prior approval of the stewards or following a decision of the stewards to summons a competitor and/or driver. Any competitor or person associated with a competitor who does not comply with the requirements outlined above may be considered to have breached Article 12.2.1.i of the International Sporting Code. We trust that the above is clear.”

A penalty will be awarded which can range from a reprimand to a fine, points deduction, or even disqualification
The Power of Dreams!

Titchener
Titchener

Best post in this thread!

NathanOlder

dans79 wrote:
22 Jul 2021, 15:44
the EDGE wrote:
You are free to believe what you want, but here is what one steward had to say about penalizing max in Austin 2017.

https://www.racefans.net/2021/02/06/str ... s-steward/
“Boy did we cop a lot of criticism,” Connelly recalled. “We were public enemies number one in the Netherlands and all the Red Bull fans around the world were up in arms and a lot of other people as well.”

Imo, they absolutely know thats some decisions will draw a lot of attention to themselves. I have a vague recollection of one steward mentioning he felt he should sneak out of Monza after penalizing a Ferrari driver!
I believe Austria with Leclerc and Max went Max's way as there were over 100,000 Max fans on site.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Wouter wrote:
22 Jul 2021, 16:30
Toto Wolff visited the stewards at the British Grand Prix when they were investigating the incident involving Max Verstappen and Lewis Hamilton. Red Bull Racing strongly criticised the incident and now the FIA agrees with the objections made by the Austrian racing team.

FIA director Michael Masi sent the new directive to all teams on Wednesday, PA news agency reported. The purpose of the email was that Masi wanted to "clarify the way in which a competitor, its duly authorised representatives and/or drivers are granted access to the stewards' office."

"Access to the stewards’ office is strictly limited to the stewards, the stewards’ secretary and the stewards operator. Admission is only permitted with the prior approval of the stewards or following a decision of the stewards to summons a competitor and/or driver. Any competitor or person associated with a competitor who does not comply with the requirements outlined above may be considered to have breached Article 12.2.1.i of the International Sporting Code. We trust that the above is clear.”

A penalty will be awarded which can range from a reprimand to a fine, points deduction, or even disqualification
It's ridiculous because it was Masi who suggested Toto go and speak to the stewards! Horner was also the first to kick it off by lobbying Masi directly. He also visited the stewards after Toto had done so.

Masi said: "I suggest if you want to, Toto, feel free to go upstairs and see the stewards directly."
After the race, Masi said he did not have a problem with teams going to see the stewards.

"If we have an incident after the race, we invite the teams and the drivers to come up and appear before the stewards," he said.

"We had the case in Monza last year when Lewis went and spoke to the stewards to understand what happened and have a look at the whole picture. During the suspension, that ability exists, so there's no reason not to."
Regardless of what you think of the incident. This is 100% the pot calling the kettle black. Horner and Toto were just as bad as each other in this instance, and Masi didn't help matters.

RZS10

Speaking of inconsistency, eh?
Last edited by RZS10 on 23 Jul 2021, 11:53, edited 1 time in total.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

nzjrs wrote:
22 Jul 2021, 10:11
Just_a_fan wrote:
22 Jul 2021, 09:51
I predict that in the next wheel-to-wheel bit of racing between Max and Lewis, if Lewis is the one slightly ahead, Max will touch him and try to spin him. I think he'll be too blatant and then we'll see what the stewards do. I fear this relationship will spiral out of control as the season goes on, with the flames fanned by the media etc.
Can you imagine if Perez spins Hamilton! That would be something to behold.

I would guess that the rules of engagement for Perez vs Hamilton do not include yielding at all....

I think Verstappen will be fine. Both Hamilton and Verstappen made their point about not conceding, it will be back to normal service.
Correct... but I think there is a dangerous area here that Red Bull do not want to find themselves in to i.e. crashgate. Red Bull cannot in anyway have a strategy that suggests Perez should take Hamilton out given the opportunity.

Drivers being drivers and causing accidents as a result of not yielding is one thing. But team instructions that lead to crashing drivers out of the race as part of a strategy are outright scandalous.