2021 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 16 - 18

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Schuttelberg

Re: 2021 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 16 -18

Kingshark wrote:
22 Jul 2021, 21:43
PlatinumZealot wrote:
22 Jul 2021, 20:58
Thing is King Shark I know where you stand. I really am going to stop myself from going in too deep (no punn intended) with you in this discussion.

With the logo (nice logo btw) you have been very noticeable on all the various forums and sites over the years. We have interacted before on F1 fanatic for example in the Nico Vs Lewis years.. And the Button Vs Lewis Years..and likely Autosport forums? I would be finding faded memories if i went further back.. Anyway we know where you stand when it comes to Lewis. Always fr you is very harsh criticism of this driver. It would be literally a monumental achievement if anyone in here can make you lessen your criticism of Lewis in this incident!
Almost the impossible. So imma just let you do your thang while I just kick back and wait for Hungary.
Funny you would mention Autosport forum. I had an account on there back in 2012-2013, and I actually used to like Lewis back then! I certainly preferred him over Vettel. Lewis overtaking Vettel at USA 2012 is perhaps the hardest I have ever cheered for an overtake.

The fact that my opinion on Lewis has shifted so dramatically from 2012 until now, you can tell that the primary reason why I root against Lewis is because of Mercedes domination. I have nothing against him personally, but it’s about time for someone else to win.
I've never understood why people turn against serial winners? Honestly, I've also had my swings with F1 drivers. I loved Hamilton's debut. Then started disliking McLaren and he became part of it. I started to really like him from 2012-15. I was gutted he lost 2016 and really felt he deserved to win. I then just was filled with respect for him from 2017-date. In the continuous cycle, his and Mercedes continuous pretentious acts of being the underdog has really almost made me pray now that Mercedes fail. In a weird way, I wanted Hamilton to win the 20 title in style, which he did but not for Mercedes to do well at all. Today, I have no shame saying I am fully supporting not just RBR but also Max. Hamilton is a legend but also very petty and sour as a sportsman.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

LM10
LM10

Is this the race thread with most posts ever?

Kingshark
Kingshark

Schuttelberg wrote:
22 Jul 2021, 22:20
Kingshark wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Thing is King Shark I know where you stand. I really am going to stop myself from going in too deep (no punn intended) with you in this discussion.

With the logo (nice logo btw) you have been very noticeable on all the various forums and sites over the years. We have interacted before on F1 fanatic for example in the Nico Vs Lewis years.. And the Button Vs Lewis Years..and likely Autosport forums? I would be finding faded memories if i went further back.. Anyway we know where you stand when it comes to Lewis. Always fr you is very harsh criticism of this driver. It would be literally a monumental achievement if anyone in here can make you lessen your criticism of Lewis in this incident!
Almost the impossible. So imma just let you do your thang while I just kick back and wait for Hungary.
Funny you would mention Autosport forum. I had an account on there back in 2012-2013, and I actually used to like Lewis back then! I certainly preferred him over Vettel. Lewis overtaking Vettel at USA 2012 is perhaps the hardest I have ever cheered for an overtake.

The fact that my opinion on Lewis has shifted so dramatically from 2012 until now, you can tell that the primary reason why I root against Lewis is because of Mercedes domination. I have nothing against him personally, but it’s about time for someone else to win.
I've never understood why people turn against serial winners? Honestly, I've also had my swings with F1 drivers. I loved Hamilton's debut. Then started disliking McLaren and he became part of it. I started to really like him from 2012-15. I was gutted he lost 2016 and really felt he deserved to win. I then just was filled with respect for him from 2017-date. In the continuous cycle, his and Mercedes continuous pretentious acts of being the underdog has really almost made me pray now that Mercedes fail. In a weird way, I wanted Hamilton to win the 20 title in style, which he did but not for Mercedes to do well at all. Today, I have no shame saying I am fully supporting not just RBR but also Max. Hamilton is a legend but also very petty and sour as a sportsman.
My main problem with winners in Formula 1 is when I perceive them to win because of their car rather than their ability.

Vettel was never the best driver on the grid, so watching him win 4 consecutive titles was very annoying.

Verstappen has been the best driver on the grid since the beginning of 2019, so watching Hamilton win two titles when Verstappen is performing better in a vastly inferior car is equally annoying.

Before someone gets their panties in a twist over what I just wrote, this is all MY opinion.

PlatinumZealot

GOAT wrote:
22 Jul 2021, 21:55
PlatinumZealot wrote:

So imma just let you do your thang while I just kick back and wait for Hungary.
So wait what?!! I clearly have missed something… :wtf:

You left with so much drama- and now that Lewis has crashed himself back into the championship, all of a sudden you’re back- with the same old attitude?

Hahaha, ok? :lol:

After embarrassing yourself so much, you should be a little bit more humble- IMHO.
You are the one embarrassing yourself. You now are showing a failure to critical analyse what you see in the link.

When it clicks you can PM me what you see. 8)

No more comments on this folks. PM.

Only two people figured it out.

Why would I leave after thirteen years as user? And even more as a reader?
Don't be silly now....

PS.... I am just noticing your username.

GOAT?!!

Nice... Can i license your username to use in my posts in December?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

LaplacesDemon
LaplacesDemon

Kingshark wrote:
22 Jul 2021, 23:14
Schuttelberg wrote:
22 Jul 2021, 22:20
Kingshark wrote:

My main problem with winners in Formula 1 is when I perceive them to win because of their car rather than their ability.
You will be forever disappointed.
Why not watch something like Formula Renault instead? It is a much better tool for measuring driver ability.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Kingshark wrote:
22 Jul 2021, 23:14
Formula 1 has always been a constructors sport as much as it has been a driver's sport. There are plenty of spec series where the cars are equal and it's all about the drivers. Infact, many current F1 drivers competed against each other and won championships in the junior formula series where the cars are equal. Interestingly Max Verstappen is one exception, in that he had very little junior formula experience in equal cars. In the 1 season for Formula 3 he did, he was beaten to the title by none other than Ocon.

Kingshark
Kingshark

LaplacesDemon wrote:
23 Jul 2021, 00:05
Why not watch something like Formula Renault instead? It is a much better tool for measuring driver ability.
Disagree. I think that Formula 1 has a very bright future ahead. The cost cap means that giant soulless corporations like Mercedes can no longer outspend smaller teams by hundreds of millions of euros annually. The sliding scale for windtunnel hours means that teams who are behind will have an easier time catching up.

I have a great feeling that the next decade in Formula 1 will be far more exciting than the previous one was.

Jolle
Jolle

Kingshark wrote:
23 Jul 2021, 00:42
LaplacesDemon wrote:
Disagree. I think that Formula 1 has a very bright future ahead. The cost cap means that giant soulless corporations like Mercedes can no longer outspend smaller teams by hundreds of millions of euros annually. The sliding scale for windtunnel hours means that teams who are behind will have an easier time catching up.

I have a great feeling that the next decade in Formula 1 will be far more exciting than the previous one was.
I’m afraid you will be in for a big surprise.
For 22, if your design isn’t right up there, it will take years of catch-up without the short route of pulling some extra brainpower out of the bag.

The big three, and before that the big four had quite similar budgets going into the 2014 season, and still there were big differences. Same goes for 2017.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Kingshark wrote:
LaplacesDemon wrote:

Mercedes can be replaced in that by Red Bull and Ferrari, of course. The top 3 have been spending similar amounts prior to cost capping.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Kingshark
Kingshark

Jolle wrote:
23 Jul 2021, 00:50
Kingshark wrote:
LaplacesDemon wrote:

For 22, if your design isn’t right up there, it will take years of catch-up without the short route of pulling some extra brainpower out of the bag.

The big three, and before that the big four had quite similar budgets going into the 2014 season, and still there were big differences. Same goes for 2017.
Wanna bet that 2022 will be significantly more competitive than 2014-2020 was on average?

From 2014-2020 we had one team win 75% of the pole positions and the races. Let’s see how 2022 goes. I’m very confident that it will be far more exciting and unpredictable than 2014-2020 on average.

Also, a critical difference between 2022 compared to 2014 and 2017 is that the differences in engine performance are nowhere near as large.

LaplacesDemon
LaplacesDemon

Kingshark wrote:
23 Jul 2021, 01:34
Jolle wrote:
23 Jul 2021, 00:50
Kingshark wrote:

Wanna bet that 2022 will be significantly more competitive than 2014-2020 was on average?

From 2014-2020 we had one team win 75% of the pole positions and the races. Let’s see how 2022 goes. I’m very confident that it will be far more exciting and unpredictable than 2014-2020 on average.

Also, a critical difference between 2022 compared to 2014 and 2017 is that the differences in engine performance are nowhere near as large.
Wanna bet that the driver of the fastest car will win?

Kingshark
Kingshark

LaplacesDemon wrote:
23 Jul 2021, 01:42
Wanna bet that the driver of the fastest car will win?
So what?

The driver of the best/fastest car probably did win the title in 1997, 1999, 2003, 2010 and 2012. That didn’t stop those seasons from being classics.

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

PZ: I do not understand you. You made a thread specifically announcing your departure “with your last post”. It’s still there for all to see. The fact you now deny that makes me unable to even entertain any of your posts.
Also your total bias makes having a rational discussion impossible. Shame.

I still havent been convinced with answers as to WHY the STEWARDS thought LH was PREDOMINANTLY to blame. They have been quite clear as to why they thought he is but that just seems to not matter?

Masi has stated that they only look at incidents on their own merit.

So based on that it clearly infers LH had a bigger part to play in this coming together, enough to be issued with a time penalty. Clearly suggesting that it wasn’t just a racing incident. Otherwise, why the time penalty?

I don’t know how simple I can make it but that’s the nub of it.

If the stewards make decisions for political or show reasons then I’m not surprised the lawyers are called in. There have been far too many different interpretations of the same set of rules for me to be comfortable with. It wasn’t much of an issue when the only battles were with team mates on rare occasions but now the whole field is getting closer together, it needs sorting.

Fwiw I’ve been rooting for McLaren for the last few years too.
And as I’ve said previously on a number of occasions that VER needs to use his strategic head a bit more. Compromise when needed. Comes with age generally.

When it comes to LH, he’s been equally clear in the post race interviews that he wasn’t going to back down again.
Which makes the stewards reasoning that much easier to digest. He kept his car in a position that made it impossible for the outside car to even attempt to make that corner. In effect he left the decision with VER. It was v clever positioning but clearly he had a lot more choice as to where to be/on what line/at what speed. That is why the stewards judged it the way they did imho.

Nothing else makes much sense surely?

dans79

Kingshark wrote:
23 Jul 2021, 06:01
So what?

The driver of the best/fastest car probably did win the title in 1997, 1999, 2003, 2010 and 2012. That didn’t stop those seasons from being classics.
Do you remember watching races in 1997 and 1999?
197 104 103 7

Kingshark
Kingshark

dans79 wrote:
23 Jul 2021, 06:30
Kingshark wrote:
23 Jul 2021, 06:01
So what?

Do you remember watching races in 1997 and 1999?
2001 is the first season I watched live. I watched 1997 and 1999 in full through some dodgy websites.

Anyway, that’s not really relevant to the point.