2021 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 16 - 18

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
NathanOlder

Re: 2021 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 16 -18

As an extreme example, take 1994, the 2 teams fighting for the championships were Williams and Benetton. Now lets say at the start of the 94 season , the FIA anounced a rule change. They announce that everyone must keep their chassis and are only allowed to change a ver limited amount of parts. The FIA then announce a regulation change in that no one is allowed to use a high nose for what ever reason. So now Benetton have just handed a huge blow as they can't change much of their car, yet their car was designed around the high nose. In to 1995 Williams change very little and win by a mile. Benetton tried what they could but the regs just screwed them over and they failed miserably.

I wouldn't call that a Williams win on merit, they still did a better job with what they had like RedBull are doing now, but what they had was better than thier opponents through luck of the regulation change.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Ryar wrote:
23 Jul 2021, 11:16
Just_a_fan wrote:
23 Jul 2021, 11:00
ispano6 wrote:
23 Jul 2021, 10:15

Agreed, this season is going to be one that will be talked about for a long time. It's remiscent of the golden age of F1 86-92, which is worth watching too. F1 is exciting to watch thanks to Max, RedBull and Honda's merit. It's a shame that the sprint race format has interfered with what would have been a normal season where teams could extract the maximum set up for every race. While it does bring an element of excitement and uncertainty it basically has screwed with the formula and schedule that teams relied on to get the set up right. The shortened FP has also contributed to it. F1 should have brought it in next year with the new cars and tires instead of messing with the last year of the current formula. Max and RedBull Honda have had to face adversity but they are delivering, and it really is a feel good story coming full circle ever since his father Jos was a test and development driver for Honda with young max sitting in the car. When you think about how the dominant Mercedes team was actually the former Honda F1 team, it pleases me that Honda leaves a mark and everlasting impression in F1. And Max is the Piquet/Mansell/Senna of this Honda F1 era.
It's great to see a fight at the front, but it's not purely on merit. The floor changes ended up hurting the Merc more than the Red Bull, McLaren, etc. That's good for the sport as it's made the season exciting, which we all want.

The irony with Honda is that they always seem to make a big impression when they're an engine supplier, but not as a team. Williams Honda, McLaren Honda (Senna era, of course, not the Alonso era), now RedBull Honda.

Max as the Piquet/Mansell/Senna? That's three very, very different drivers you compared to there. Arrogant/insulting, bullheaded/determined, emotional. All very quick, of course.

Not sure Max would like to be compared to other drivers - he's just Max. 8)
Not purely on merit? Because the regulation changes hurt Mercedes in 2021? If we use the same yardstick, 2014 changes hurt Red Bull Renault and hence the titles that Mercedes and Hamilton won are not on pure merit. :D

Regulation changes are roll of dice, whether they are small or big. Once accepted, the excuses for not having got it right, sound very lame.
It's not purely on merit, no. A lot of merit? Yes. The Honda engine has finally been developed to where it should have been before. That's on merit. The rule changes definitely hurt some teams more than others and it was a lottery which one would be hurt most. That's fine, that's life.

As for Mercedes / Hamilton titles, they were on merit because they did the best job with the rule changes at the time. Red Bull chose an engine path at the time that wasn't the best, that's on them and their engine supplier. They could have spent time and money in the lead up to 2014 developing an engine directly or with a third party but they didn't. So they didn't benefit. Mercedes did put a lot of effort in to the 2014 rule changes and they reaped the reward.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Jolle
Jolle

F1 is a team sport. It’s car + driver + engine + team. Unless there is cheating involved, it’s always on merit.

Slo Poke
Slo Poke

Max will resume exactly where he left off. Admittedly, he had his innards jarred at the British gp but once he’s jostled them all back in place he’ll Steak & Potatoes Hungary. You see if he doesn’t!

One more thing! Are all you guys trying to wind up Slo Poke?

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Slo Poke wrote:
23 Jul 2021, 12:51
Who? :wink: :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Slo Poke
Slo Poke

Just_a_fan wrote:
23 Jul 2021, 13:01
Slo Poke wrote:
23 Jul 2021, 12:51
Who? :wink: :lol:
Ah.. ha! I can tell you’ve never, not heard of Me. :o :oops:

Marty_Y
Marty_Y

https://uk.motor1.com/news/521966/merce ... ebrations/

Mercedes had Verstappen all-clear before British GP celebrations

El Scorchio

Marty_Y wrote:
23 Jul 2021, 13:47

If that's true, it makes all the condemnation a bit perplexing.

As I mentioned yesterday, Hamilton wasn't told Verstappen had gone to hospital until after all the celebrations and podium as well.

Wouter

Marty_Y wrote:

That is very strange, because the results of the scans in the hospital, which show whether or not there are internal injuries, were only released around 9/10 p.m. in the evening.
What time were the celebrations?
The Power of Dreams!

dans79

Wouter wrote:
23 Jul 2021, 14:14
Marty_Y wrote:

That is very strange, because the results of the scans in the hospital, which show whether or not there are internal injuries, were only released around 9/10 p.m. in the evening.
Not that late, but that doesn't mean that RBR management, or FIA officials didn't prematurely say he was ok.
197 104 103 7

Wouter

dans79 wrote:
23 Jul 2021, 14:18
Wouter wrote:
23 Jul 2021, 14:14
Marty_Y wrote:

Not that late, but that doesn't mean that RBR management, or FIA officials didn't prematurely say he was ok.
Max was first taken to the Medical Center on the track. There it can never be said that he had no injuries and he was fine, as the doctors there then sent him by helicopter to Coventry Hospital for further examinations, including scans.
The results of the investigations came late in the evening. Those are the actual facts announced by Jos Verstappen who was present the whole time. Round 10 pm Jos said on Instagram Max was fine.
The Power of Dreams!

NathanOlder

So with this incident between Max and Lewis, how many experts, drivers, journo's have after sunday said they still think Hamilton was to blame and deserved a penalty.

Since sunday I have seen an ever growing list of people saying racing incident,

Leclerc, Alonso, Hakkinen, Montoya, Yamamoto, Rosberg, Windsor and a few others I have already forgot.

Im sure there will be plenty I havent seen, so I just wondered if others can name people who have voiced an opinion on this.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

TNTHead

NathanOlder wrote:
23 Jul 2021, 16:21
So with this incident between Max and Lewis, how many experts, drivers, journo's have after sunday said they still think Hamilton was to blame and deserved a penalty.

Since sunday I have seen an ever growing list of people saying racing incident,

Leclerc, Alonso, Hakkinen, Montoya, Yamamoto, Rosberg, Windsor and a few others I have already forgot.

Im sure there will be plenty I havent seen, so I just wondered if others can name people who have voiced an opinion on this.
You could indeed make a meta data analysis on the 'experts opnions'. I'd say that there are also quite some who lend towards HAM to blame. For instance Ecclestone, Barrichello, to name a few.

hollus

Guys, Jos was not racing last weekend. Move on from that, please. Thank you.
Rivals, not enemies.

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

Checking out of this thread. It’s run it’s course.

I hope the stewards room gets organised properly and we get a set of rules and punishments that gets adhered to without prejudice and with no interference from ranking Team Principals.

See you at the next race