2021 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 16 - 18

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Ryar

Re: 2021 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 16 - 18

Big Tea wrote:
26 Jul 2021, 20:52
The name has been engraved on the trophy, the bookies have paid out, and the result is in the books. What does Horner want them to do? cross them all out?
Didn't know Horner is the authority to whom bookies report for doing business and he is responsible for their payouts. :wink:
Hakuna Matata!

Ryar

Wouter wrote:
27 Jul 2021, 09:59
ringo wrote:
27 Jul 2021, 08:46
If you are banging wheels when you have enough space on track, that is aggressive.
He [Max] should have been penalized for causing a collision.
For all we know that wheel banging could have been the reason Lewis' wheel was cracked.

I do not think Max will get over the acccident though, unless he knew deep down he was at fault for turning in too aggressively he is more likely to move on.
Since you're bringing up Silverstone here again, I have to respond in this new racing thread. However, this may also be moved to the Silverstone race topic.

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/90068/ne ... clash.html

New footage shows how far Verstappen deviated from his line to avoid clash

Verstappen deviates far from ideal line to make room for Hamilton

The interesting thing about this footage is that a comparison is made with the line Verstappen drove during his qualifying lap.

This is much tighter compared to the line he took in his fight with Hamilton, where he clearly deviated from the ideal line to make room.
For all those claiming, Max was wrong, this video is a clear answer for them. Hope this shuts them all. Hamilton carried the speed of quali lap in such a compromised line and still some poeple felt he would have made the corner clean. Max's qualifying trajectory clearly shows whats the right line to carry such a speeed. There was enough room on the inside for Hamilton, only if his car had enough grip to make the corner from such tight line and with so much speed. That car and with that speed, no way was going to make that corner and was bound to understeer. Even if there was more space available on the outside, Hamilton would have understeer to hit Max further forward.
Hakuna Matata!

djones
djones

Hamilton got a penalty and served it. He won the race, Max had a DNF.

Get over it before it consumes you. Its motor racing, this stuff has happened a million times in the past and will happen a million times in future.

nzjrs

To be fair, this 3D visualisation is very cool.

santos
santos

djones wrote:
27 Jul 2021, 10:52

Get over it before it consumes you. Its motor racing, this stuff has happened a million times in the past and will happen a million times in future.
There are people that is crying to this day because of the clash of Hill and Schumacher... this won't die easy.

NathanOlder

Ryar wrote:
27 Jul 2021, 10:40

For all those claiming, Max was wrong, this video is a clear answer for them. Hope this shuts them all. Hamilton carried the speed of quali lap in such a compromised line and still some poeple felt he would have made the corner clean. Max's qualifying trajectory clearly shows whats the right line to carry such a speeed. There was enough room on the inside for Hamilton, only if his car had enough grip to make the corner from such tight line and with so much speed. That car and with that speed, no way was going to make that corner and was bound to understeer. Even if there was more space available on the outside, Hamilton would have understeer to hit Max further forward.

If these overtaking guides are correct, and as James Allison mentioned it, I'm guessing it's correct, then that would mean Lewis did nothing wrong, and it was Max who caused the collision. So unless the FIA/Stewards/Masi come out an say these overtaking guides are wrong, then you can't argue against them.

GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

santos wrote:
27 Jul 2021, 10:54
djones wrote:
27 Jul 2021, 10:52

There are people that is crying to this day because of the clash of Hill and Schumacher... this won't die easy.
That was a deliberate swipe by Schumacher. In the latest incident, neither driver wanted to make contact. That's the big difference and probably why it'll eventually fizzle out and be replaced by other, newer, incidents. 8)
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

RZS10

Gotta love absolute bottom of the barrel F1 clickbait blogs who cobble together an 'article' based on a six day old animation (which is quite nice but most likely has guesstimated lines anyways) 9 days after the incident and then write that "new insights continue to emerge" calling said animation 'footage' which is just plain wrong.

nzjrs

RZS10 wrote:
27 Jul 2021, 12:33
Gotta love absolute bottom of the barrel F1 clickbait blogs who cobble together an 'article' based on a six day old animation (which is quite nice but most likely has guesstimated lines anyways) 9 days after the incident and then write that "new insights continue to emerge" calling said animation 'footage' which is just plain wrong.
Haha quite right! The best thing about double header weekends is the terrible media has less time to make trouble in between!

RZS10

Good thing this wasn't the last race before the summer break, but who knows what will happen in the next one. lol

It's quite interesting though what the guy who made said animation wrote about it, especially contrasting it with how some interpret it:
Reading back the comments I think the text [inserted by me:Verstappen & Hamilton collide on Lap 1. A very interesting accident between the championship rivals. Do you think it was a racing incident? Did Verstappen leave enough space, should Hamilton have seen it coming? What is your favorite vegetable? What crash would you like to see next?] didn't really got across like intended. Before making this animation I was convinced Hamilton simply drove out too wide, like with Albon, and was fully to blame. I was worried to be constraint to my presumptions and perhaps I forced myself a bit too much in the other way in my wording. Anyways:

The point I am making in this video is that both drivers took way too much speed to go through the corner together. Max seemingly didn't leave a lot of room for Hamilton, but with this speed he couldn't follow a very wide outside line and still make the corner. If he steered out off track he would risk being penalized for track extending, like so often in the past. Maybe he assumed Lewis would yield like in the previous corners? But he forgot Hamilton was racing for home victory, and was not going to give way again.

Hamilton, although he did get of his throttle before the corner (this is what I mean with backing out), he did so very much too late and was never ever making the corner with a car alongside, taking more speed at the entry than a Q3 lap without being on the ideal line. Perhaps he assumed (hoped) Verstappen would yield the place, given Lewis was convinced he was more than enough alongside? But it was Max Verstappen he was racing. Maybe Hamilton got used to fighting Bottas too much?

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

I thought this was quite interesting, Horner describing a similar incident between Max & Stroll, and he seems fairly clear on the rules here. (no idea why the audio is weird)

EDIT: And Max isn't anywhere near as far alongside in this incident, and Horner is adamant it's Max's corner.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Diesel wrote:
27 Jul 2021, 13:43
EDIT: And Max isn't anywhere near as far alongside in this incident, and Horner is adamant it's Max's corner.
Nice find and exactly shows the two faced nature of Horner. If Max is on the inside, it's Max's corner, if anyone else is on the inside then "OMG he's trying to kill him!".

A shame that none of the interviews with Horner brought that up. No doubt if they had he'd have shouted "51g, man! 51g!". :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

dans79

Just_a_fan wrote:
27 Jul 2021, 14:00
Diesel wrote:
27 Jul 2021, 13:43
Nice find and exactly shows the two faced nature of Horner. If Max is on the inside, it's Max's corner, if anyone else is on the inside then "OMG he's trying to kill him!".

A shame that none of the interviews with Horner brought that up. No doubt if they had he'd have shouted "51g, man! 51g!". :lol:
Yeah, for as much as people whine about wolf, he isn't even in the same zip code as Horner when it comes to spewing self-serving propaganda.
197 104 103 7

PlatinumZealot

NathanOlder wrote:
27 Jul 2021, 11:00
Ryar wrote:
27 Jul 2021, 10:40

If these overtaking guides are correct, and as James Allison mentioned it, I'm guessing it's correct, then that would mean Lewis did nothing wrong, and it was Max who caused the collision. So unless the FIA/Stewards/Masi come out an say these overtaking guides are wrong, then you can't argue against them.

https://i.imgur.com/I8EG7X7.jpg

Get out of here with this well researched and credible informtation, you! :evil: how dare you!

Lol.
In all seriousness, I love thos diagrams. Been sort of the accepted standard for overtakes.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

the EDGE
the EDGE

Redbull request stewards review into Hamilton clash

https://www.racefans.net/2021/07/27/off ... nt-4675934