2021 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 16 - 18

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
godlameroso

Re: 2021 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 16 - 18

Just_a_fan wrote:
27 Jul 2021, 17:40
Jolle wrote:
27 Jul 2021, 17:02
My guess is that it will go like this:

FIA: what new evidence do you have?
RedBull: we want Mercedes to face the consequences of our smashed car
FIA: but what is the new evidence?
RedBull: We had almost 2 million worth of damage, we want a raceban!
FIA: so, no new evidence?
RedBull: Its so unfair!
You forgot:

Red Bull: 51g, man! 51g!
FIA: Oh, wow, you're so right. Ban him for life and strip him of all his titles!
You realize, this opens the door for retaliation, would you have the same outlook if Hamilton had a 51G shunt and Verstappen only gets a 10 second penalty and goes on to win regardless? The precedent has been set, you can take a driver out of the race and all it costs you is a 10 second penalty. With that attitude I wonder why Verstappen bothered to give the place back in Bahrain and not just try to win by 5+ seconds.
Saishū kōnā

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Big Tea wrote:
27 Jul 2021, 17:45
I think the stewards will have learned a lot from this.
Mostly, in future if its a racing incident, call it a racing incident and let it go, or it will come back and bite you if you try to appease one side against the other
Or the opposite will happen and it'll be a stop and go instead of a 10s or slapped wrist response. The irony will be if it's Max getting the penalty.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

dans79

Just_a_fan wrote:
Ultimately, if Max didn't know where Hamilton was, he should have assumed he was still there somewhere.
Honestly, If he didn't know Lewis was there, then I think Montoya's comment is the 100% the correct thing to say!
197 104 103 7

godlameroso

Just_a_fan wrote:
godlameroso wrote:
27 Jul 2021, 17:42
Just_a_fan wrote:
27 Jul 2021, 17:30

Max turned in, released the lock and then turned in again. So, yes, he hesitated.

As for not knowing the car was there or not, then you don't turn in. That's "Not having an accident: 101".
That was a twitch on the steering wheel at best, the trajectory of his car was constant. Hamilton slowed down while he was along side Verstappen but not enough. Funny he almost did the same thing to Leclerc, the fact he didn't do the same move a second time shows that he knew what he did the first time. Unlike Perez who punted Leclerc twice in Austria.

How does less lock make the trajectory constant? Do Red Bull have a lot of slack in their steering system? :wink:

Ultimately, if Max didn't know where Hamilton was, he should have assumed he was still there somewhere. Just like Hamilton did 2 corners before when Max came up the inside of him and they didn't crash.
Less lock if you have a snap or have a brief loss of grip, the road is never perfectly smooth. You adjust your steering to trace the curve you want, that's how one drives.
Saishū kōnā

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

godlameroso wrote:
27 Jul 2021, 17:46
Just_a_fan wrote:
Jolle wrote:

You forgot:

FIA: Oh, wow, you're so right. Ban him for life and strip him of all his titles!
You realize, this opens the door for retaliation, would you have the same outlook if Hamilton had a 51G shunt and Verstappen only gets a 10 second penalty and goes on to win regardless? The precedent has been set, you can take a driver out of the race and all it costs you is a 10 second penalty. With that attitude I wonder why Verstappen bothered to give the place back in Bahrain and not just try to win by 5+ seconds.
Retaliation? By Max on Lewis or by someone in here on me for making a joke?

If the former, then he'll get DSQ like Schuie did. If the latter, then people need to get a life.

godlameroso

dans79 wrote:
27 Jul 2021, 17:36
godlameroso wrote:
27 Jul 2021, 17:27
That's conjecture, Hamilton hesitated before he hit Verstappen, he almost backed out of the corner, I'm guessing Verstappen thought he had the corner which is why he took it as normal. It's impossible to see a car there, that is literally the mirror blind spot on ANY car.

I agree that Verstappen tried to impose his will, but he did not hesitate one bit, not like Hamilton did. His intentions were clear from a mile away.
Sorry but you are wrong on both counts, watch max's onboard. as he starts to turn in you can see Lewis's front left endplate by Max's front right tire.

Also max's on onboard footage shows he knew Lewis was there, because right as Lewis's endplate comes into frame Max momentarily straightened out the wheel before turning in again.

I'm not sorry, you're wrong here buddy. Hamilton hesitated and backed out, regardless, these are the games Mercedes plays. It was a racing incident, and it was also more Hamilton's fault. In a road collision, the driver that rear ends you is at fault, and in the real world, property damage plays a role in the punishment.
Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

Just_a_fan wrote:
27 Jul 2021, 17:50
godlameroso wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

You forgot:

If the former, then he'll get DSQ like Schuie did. If the latter, then people need to get a life.
Retaliation in the sense that Verstappen can put Hamilton in the wall in the same manner and it's just a 10 second penalty. Just make it look like a racing incident, and no problems.
Saishū kōnā

LaplacesDemon
LaplacesDemon

godlameroso wrote:
27 Jul 2021, 17:49
Just_a_fan wrote:
godlameroso wrote:

That was a twitch on the steering wheel at best, the trajectory of his car was constant. Hamilton slowed down while he was along side Verstappen but not enough. Funny he almost did the same thing to Leclerc, the fact he didn't do the same move a second time shows that he knew what he did the first time. Unlike Perez who punted Leclerc twice in Austria.

How does less lock make the trajectory constant? Do Red Bull have a lot of slack in their steering system? :wink:

Ultimately, if Max didn't know where Hamilton was, he should have assumed he was still there somewhere. Just like Hamilton did 2 corners before when Max came up the inside of him and they didn't crash.
Less lock if you have a snap or have a brief loss of grip, the road is never perfectly smooth. You adjust your steering to trace the curve you want, that's how one drives.
That would imply Max was not fully in control of the car.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

godlameroso wrote:
27 Jul 2021, 17:49
Just_a_fan wrote:
godlameroso wrote:

Or how one makes a convenient excuse for a driver making two stabs at the turn in because he knew another car was on his inside somewhere.

I think it's a simple example of Max's legendary "very firm but oh so fair" driving style. He expected the other driver to back off because he has a reputation for not giving a --- if they crash. Oh well, how did that go for him?

I think we'll see Max do one of two things - he'll deliberately dive bomb Hamilton or he'll deliberately give him extra room. If the latter happens and others see it, I can see the likes of Leclerc thinking "I'll have a piece of that, thanks".

How Max comes back from Silverstone will be the defining moment of his season, I think.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

godlameroso wrote:
27 Jul 2021, 17:51
dans79 wrote:
godlameroso wrote:
27 Jul 2021, 17:27
That's conjecture, Hamilton hesitated before he hit Verstappen, he almost backed out of the corner, I'm guessing Verstappen thought he had the corner which is why he took it as normal. It's impossible to see a car there, that is literally the mirror blind spot on ANY car.

I agree that Verstappen tried to impose his will, but he did not hesitate one bit, not like Hamilton did. His intentions were clear from a mile away.
Sorry but you are wrong on both counts, watch max's onboard. as he starts to turn in you can see Lewis's front left endplate by Max's front right tire.

Also max's on onboard footage shows he knew Lewis was there, because right as Lewis's endplate comes into frame Max momentarily straightened out the wheel before turning in again.
I'm not sorry, you're wrong here buddy. Hamilton hesitated and backed out, regardless, these are the games Mercedes plays. It was a racing incident, and it was also more Hamilton's fault. In a road collision, the driver that rear ends you is at fault, and in the real world, property damage plays a role in the punishment.
It's not a road collision (and these days with dash cams, such incidents aren't as clear cut as they once were), and it's not "the real world" with regards to property damage. Both of those things are, yet again, red herrings and entirely irrelevant on the track.

If you want to apply road rules, both are guilty of driving at excessive speed in the UK. At 180mph, you're often looking at prison time. Still want to play the "road rules games"?

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

godlameroso wrote:
27 Jul 2021, 17:52
Just_a_fan wrote:
godlameroso wrote:

Retaliation in the sense that Verstappen can put Hamilton in the wall in the same manner and it's just a 10 second penalty. Just make it look like a racing incident, and no problems.
If he can make it look like a racing incident, then he'll get away with it to the degree that the stewards decide. It's a big "if" however. A dive bomb, for example, that results in a collision is almost never seen as a racing incident. And Hamilton knows better than to turn in on him if he's near enough to be able to cause contact. So Max will have to be very clever to put Hamilton in the wall and make it look like a racing incident.

godlameroso

Just_a_fan wrote:
27 Jul 2021, 17:57
godlameroso wrote:
dans79 wrote:

It's not a road collision (and these days with dash cams, such incidents aren't as clear cut as they once were), and it's not "the real world" with regards to property damage. Both of those things are, yet again, red herrings and entirely irrelevant on the track.

If you want to apply road rules, both are guilty of driving at excessive speed in the UK. At 180mph, you're often looking at prison time. Still want to play the "road rules games"?
Sure, they are driving on a closed road, and safety is still important. Have a little empathy.
Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

Just_a_fan wrote:
27 Jul 2021, 17:59
godlameroso wrote:
27 Jul 2021, 17:52
Just_a_fan wrote:

If he can make it look like a racing incident, then he'll get away with it to the degree that the stewards decide. It's a big "if" however. A dive bomb, for example, that results in a collision is almost never seen as a racing incident. And Hamilton knows better than to turn in on him if he's near enough to be able to cause contact. So Max will have to be very clever to put Hamilton in the wall and make it look like a racing incident.
We'll just make sure to have Horner see the stewards first and send e-mails to Mr.Masi.
Saishū kōnā

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

godlameroso wrote:
27 Jul 2021, 18:00
Just_a_fan wrote:
27 Jul 2021, 17:57
godlameroso wrote:

Sure, they are driving on a closed road, and safety is still important. Have a little empathy.
So you agree that road collisions and property damage aren't relevant?

Empathy? Max walked away and had a precautionary check up - one that was so worrisome that they took him to a hospital 40 miles away rather than the major accident unit in a hospital less than 16 miles away. Had he been injured then, yes, I'd be more concerned. Horner played the impact etc. for effect and some people have taken him at face value. The guy's a politician and is playing to get his opponent hamstrung. Nothing more.

Jolle
Jolle

godlameroso wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:
Jolle wrote:

You forgot:

Good chance he would be fined (and/or penalised) for unsportmanship behaviour and misuse of the rules. They could try it that way... just don't expect no saction will follow after.