2021 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 30 - Aug 01

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
the poster below
the poster below

Re: 2021 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 30 - Aug 01

Someone suggested on LinkedIn that Article 53.11 of the sporting regulations says that all cars should return to the grid at the race restart?

Is there a conflicting / overriding rule that you can pit to change tyres regardless?

TimW
TimW

What a shame that we were robbed of a good race in the championship fight (although the rest of the race was still good)

For sure Bottas' bowling alley was not intentional. However, I think it is an issue with the current championship standings that there is an incentive for Merc and RB to send out their 2nd drivers with a maximum risk approach. If they go off while taking out the opponent, nothing lost, only a gain. For that reason harsher penalties would be good, as it would prevent them from being a wingman in the next race and take out the incentive.

(I must say I am stunned by Bottas' flawless execution, never knew he was such a great driver.......)

Jolle
Jolle

TimW wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 20:58
What a shame that we were robbed of a good race in the championship fight (although the rest of the race was still good)

For sure Bottas' bowling alley was not intentional. However, I think it is an issue with the current championship standings that there is an incentive for Merc and RB to send out their 2nd drivers with a maximum risk approach. If they go off while taking out the opponent, nothing lost, only a gain. For that reason harsher penalties would be good, as it would prevent them from being a wingman in the next race and take out the incentive.

(I must say I am stunned by Bottas' flawless execution, never knew he was such a great driver.......)
It doesn't look like it was a case of taking much risk, you do that when you are in good shape and have the chance to put it on the inside of Verstappen. With his one car hitting another car that went into verstappen, could of well ended all the ways at Hamilton.

Sieper

f1jcw wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 20:55
Schuttelberg wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 20:51
Fact that we are discussing DQ for a few litres of fuel or driving past the pits or wearing t-shirts on an Aston Martin, a Williams and an Alpine driver who took his maiden win and not how a RBR will take a 10 place grid drop for a bloke running into him and getting a 5 place grid drop should echo what is broken in this sport!
So, we should change the rules to "Max can not be punished for anything and is outside the rules"

It’s like red flag car repair.

When it is Lewis doing it, people want the rules changed.
Max car fixed today, not a whimper
Max actually had already pitted and went from 8 down to 15 before the red flag came out. There wasn’t much to repair tough. Rip the remaining parts of. Sorry

tpe
tpe

Some amazingly stupid things in this race.
2 or3 unsafe releases because team members were focused on their car and not the pit lane as they should.
Perez lost all the coolant and no one told him to stop immediately! What on earth were they doing?
Vettel left out of fuel, most probably because the whole team went to the celebrations instead of watching for their driver's data.

TNTHead

Magicsenna_41 wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 20:57
f1jcw wrote:
Schuttelberg wrote:
Fact that we are discussing DQ for a few litres of fuel or driving past the pits or wearing t-shirts on an Aston Martin, a Williams and an Alpine driver who took his maiden win and not how a RBR will take a 10 place grid drop for a bloke running into him and getting a 5 place grid drop should echo what is broken in this sport!
So, we should change the rules to "Max can not be punished for anything and is outside the rules"

That's a good point =D>
Thats not the point. The point is: when only the actions are punished and not the consequences, teams may be tempted to use that to hurt competitors. A 5 places grid penalty cannot equal the points lost by RB today.

Work on the car during red flag is still a strange rule. Why should we have such strict parc fermee rules anyway? Why not bring back the spare car.
Last edited by TNTHead on 01 Aug 2021, 21:04, edited 1 time in total.

Jolle
Jolle

tpe wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 21:02
Some amazingly stupid things in this race.
2 or3 unsafe releases because team members were focused on their car and not the pit lane as they should.
Perez lost all the coolant and no one told him to stop immediately! What on earth were they doing?
Vettel left out of fuel, most probably because the whole team went to the celebrations instead of watching for their driver's data.
Don't the blunder that Mercedes didn't call in Hamilton on a dry track. Or leaving Vertappen out for at least one more lap waiting for a red flag

rogazilla
rogazilla

Sieper wrote:
f1jcw wrote:
Schuttelberg wrote:

Max actually had already pitted and went from 8 down to 15 before the red flag came out. There wasn’t much to repair tough. Rip the remaining parts of. Sorry
I am guessing he's talking about Perez's PU may be done after the incident and thus possibly taking 10+ grid penalty when he take the 4th PU while bottas is getting just 5 place grid drop?

I do wonder if the championship winning team is running towards the cost cap and what if the other teams starts to run more risky move because nothing to lose... would we run into a situation where the championship winning team can no longer use new parts in the last few races and end up losing?
Last edited by rogazilla on 01 Aug 2021, 21:07, edited 1 time in total.

zibby43
zibby43

tpe
tpe

Those 2 as well. But I had already mention them right after the race end :D

RZS10

Sieper wrote:
f1jcw wrote:
Schuttelberg wrote:

I really thought "maybe they'll be able to screw on at least some parts" but there was probably nothing left they could attach anything to and all they did is close the carbon edges on the floor and other parts which were ripped open ... it's quite possible that they just did not want to risk taking the car apart too much for repairs because that might have left them with an unfinished car for the restart.

DChemTech
DChemTech

rogazilla wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 21:06
Sieper wrote:
f1jcw wrote:

I am guessing he's talking about Perez's PU may be done after the incident and thus possibly taking 10+ grid penalty when he take the 4th PU while bottas is getting just 5 place grid drop?

I do wonder if the championship winning team is running towards the cost cap and what if the other teams starts to run more risky move because nothing to lose... would we run into a situation where the championship winning team can no longer use new parts in the last few races and end up losing?
According to one of the Dutch F1 sites (not the most reputable one), Horner mentioned Max' PU may be damaged as well. So, potential PU penalty for both cars, in Max' case, two races in a row due to similar reasons. Which is rather unfortunate, if it materializes that way.

Sieper

RZS10 wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 21:08
Sieper wrote:
f1jcw wrote:

I really thought "maybe they'll be able to screw on at least some parts" but there was probably nothing left they could attach anything to and all they did is close the carbon edges on the floor and other parts which were ripped open ... it's quite possible that they just did not want to risk taking the car apart too much for repairs because that might have left them with an unfinished car for the restart.
You are not allowed to lift it and they needed floor off to be able to do anything.

Sieper

DChemTech wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 21:10
rogazilla wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 21:06
Sieper wrote:

According to one of the Dutch F1 sites (not the most reputable one), Horner mentioned Max' PU may be damaged as well. So, potential PU penalty for both cars, in Max' case, two races in a row due to similar reasons. Which is rather unfortunate, if it materializes that way.
If that is true it simply is over. Two more races from the back. I am inclined to think it is over as it stands already.

RZS10

Sieper wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 21:15
You are not allowed to lift it and they needed floor off to be able to do anything.
That was before the camera had shown the extent of the damage, before it was clear that most attachment points were gone but yea they can do whatever as long as they do it where the car stands and only lifted with the jacks, right?

Regarding Max' engine - it would be weird if the PU couldn't take such a relatively small shunt? Especially since it seemingly ran fine throughout the race? The issue for Perez wasn't the impact itself, Bottas' rear tyre just open up his rad and he lost all coolant (it's good to see in the heli cam replay in the highlights) ... I watched the race start a few more times and Verstappen was "lucky" (please note the usage of quotation marks) that Norris front tyre only hit his bargeboard area, i was initially surprised that the suspension could handle such an impact but their wheels did not touch until most of the force was dispensed, could have been a DNF with a broken suspension.

Another thing is how close it was for Hamilton, he got away by 0.5 to 1m - i think that should really put to bed the theory that he somehow had the mental capabilities to play billiard with F1 cars, shoving Norris into Max and then smashing into Perez.
Last edited by RZS10 on 01 Aug 2021, 21:23, edited 2 times in total.