2021 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 30 - Aug 01

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Big Tea

Re: 2021 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 30 - Aug 01

Tiny73 wrote:
05 Aug 2021, 17:26
Ryar wrote:
05 Aug 2021, 17:10
ringo wrote:
05 Aug 2021, 17:01
Max is in front of his bathroom mirror telling himself he knows he is faster than Hamilton. Hamilton is living rent free in his cerebellum all season long. Let's see if Max's imagination is reality in the second half. He is exposing his lack of experiences and weakness of mind with these outbursts. He only adds more pressure to himself and attracts more badluck.
How has the experience of racing in 14 seasons playing out? WIth a rookie mistake in Imola, an "accidental" knock of "Brake Magic" in Baku, lack of awareness in a high speed turn taking a car out and almost ending his own race in Silverstone. Seems like luck has replaced experience there. :wink:
Seems like Lewis is living in your head rent free too? Everyone makes mistakes, they’re human beings. Even I made one once. (Tongue is firmly in cheek for the absence of doubt)

How about recognising Lewis’ achievements for what they are and accepting that Max may break those records in future. Or he may not. Either way we’re being treated to an epic season so far.
Yes, I hear about it on social media. They said you thought you had made a mistake and really you had NOT.

(Nothing pointed intended, just a laugh, don't take it as a personal insult please)
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Tiny73
Tiny73

Big Tea wrote:
05 Aug 2021, 22:39
Tiny73 wrote:
05 Aug 2021, 17:26
Ryar wrote:
How has the experience of racing in 14 seasons playing out? WIth a rookie mistake in Imola, an "accidental" knock of "Brake Magic" in Baku, lack of awareness in a high speed turn taking a car out and almost ending his own race in Silverstone. Seems like luck has replaced experience there. :wink:
Seems like Lewis is living in your head rent free too? Everyone makes mistakes, they’re human beings. Even I made one once. (Tongue is firmly in cheek for the absence of doubt)

How about recognising Lewis’ achievements for what they are and accepting that Max may break those records in future. Or he may not. Either way we’re being treated to an epic season so far.
Yes, I hear about it on social media. They said you thought you had made a mistake and really you had NOT.

(Nothing pointed intended, just a laugh, don't take it as a personal insult please)
No, no offence taken at all. I made a mistake, didn’t like it so didn’t do it again. 1997 I think it was. :D

NathanOlder

Kingshark wrote:
05 Aug 2021, 20:02
NathanOlder wrote:
05 Aug 2021, 10:01
Kingshark wrote:
05 Aug 2021, 06:31

He was 2.5 seconds per lap faster. He had better tyres and a much better car. He also had a stronger engine and more top speed. An overtake doesn’t get any easier than that.
And you'd be right of it weren't the Hungaroring or Monaco. Then add to that one driver is fighting for the title and the other is not.

Quite simple really. Like Alonso on Petrov all those years ago. One had a title at stake, the other had nothing.
Alonso was like 6-8 tenths faster than Petrov, not 2.5 seconds. He also didn’t have DRS.
Well thats on Alonso then, as in Qualy he was 1.2 seconds faster than Petrov and Alonso had tyres 15 laps newer. So....... Then add Abu Dhabi is much much easier to pass than Hungary. So if your critising Lewis, it also makes Fernando look very bad.

Or you can just do what most of us are doing and say they both did a great job and in the end Lewis made his tyre advantage work. But you can never say anything good about Lewis without adding something negative to it.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

dans79

Kingshark wrote:
Hamilton’s inability to overtake Alonso shocked everyone. Bono and Toto both assured Lewis on the radio that he could win the race, just before he caught Alonso.

The only people it ”shocked”, are those that don't know anything about formula 1, and the ones that are just looking to throw stones at Hamilton....
197 104 103 7

Kingshark
Kingshark

dans79 wrote:
06 Aug 2021, 00:36
Kingshark wrote:
Hamilton’s inability to overtake Alonso shocked everyone. Bono and Toto both assured Lewis on the radio that he could win the race, just before he caught Alonso.

The only people it ”shocked”, are those that don't know anything about formula 1, and the ones that are just looking to throw stones at Hamilton....
I presume that includes the Mercedes team themselves, who thought they could win the race after they pitted Lewis?

Bono and Toto both came on the radio and assured Lewis that he has a great opportunity to win the race. Those Mercedes data models evidently didn’t take Alonso’s GOAT tier racecraft into consideration.

dans79

Kingshark wrote:
06 Aug 2021, 02:26
dans79 wrote:
Kingshark wrote:

I presume that includes the Mercedes team themselves, who thought they could win the race after they pitted Lewis?

Bono and Toto both came on the radio and assured Lewis that he has a great opportunity to win the race. Those Mercedes data models evidently didn’t take Alonso’s GOAT tier racecraft into consideration.
Alonso had nothing to gain and almost nothing to loose. He didn't have the pace to get passed Carlos, and wasn't under pressure from anyone behind besides Lewis.

In that type of senario even the quoted 2 seconds pace advantage isn't enough. As all Alonso has to do is recharge the ES from the exit of turn 4 through the entrance of turn 14. Then he can dump it from the exit of turn 14 through the entrance of turn 4.

The only way the trailing car can get past is if the leading car makes a mistake or it's tires have gone off. It doesn't matter who the driver is.

When the tires go off is when it's easy to jump someone, they can't get on the power as hard, and they have to brake earlier.
Last edited by dans79 on 06 Aug 2021, 02:41, edited 1 time in total.
197 104 103 7

Magicsenna_41
Magicsenna_41

Kingshark wrote:
dans79 wrote:
Kingshark wrote:

Great Alonso takes nothing away from the still available great opportunity. This is fact. If you know what opportunity means though.

Get a Lewis free time and enjoy.

Kingshark
Kingshark

dans79 wrote:
06 Aug 2021, 02:39
Kingshark wrote:
dans79 wrote:

Alonso had nothing to gain and almost nothing to loose. He didn't have the pace to get passed Carlos, and wasn't under pressure from anyone behind besides Lewis.

In that type of senario even the quoted 2 seconds pace advantage isn't enough. As all Alonso has to do is recharge the ES from the exit of turn 4 through the entrance of turn 14. Then he can dump it from the exit of turn 14 through the entrance of turn 4.

The only way the trailing car can get past is if the leading car makes a mistake or it's tires have gone off. It doesn't matter who the driver is.

When the tires go off is when it's easy to jump someone, they can't get on the power as hard, and they have to brake earlier.
“Hamilton was at least 2.5s faster, he just kept making the same mistakes and I took advantage of it" - Alonso on Spanish TV after the race.

Alonso also pointed out that Hamilton kept making small mistakes in sector 3, which meant that he was never quite close enough on the straight.

And despite that, Hamilton had at least 3 clear attacks on Alonso that failed before he eventually got by.

If LH made those golden opportunities on lap 55 or 57 stick, he wins the race easily. Even if LH overtook Alonso on lap 63, he probably still wins the race.

dans79

Kingshark wrote:
06 Aug 2021, 03:48
“Hamilton was at least 2.5s faster, he just kept making the same mistakes and I took advantage of it" - Alonso on Spanish TV after the race.

Alonso also pointed out that Hamilton kept making small mistakes in sector 3, which meant that he was never quite close enough on the straight.
If you have followed Alonso's career you would know thats just hype to make himself look good. It's no different than his famous 6 tenths comment.
197 104 103 7

peewon

dans79 wrote:
06 Aug 2021, 04:08
Kingshark wrote:

If you have followed Alonso's career you would know thats just hype to make himself look good. It's no different than his famous 6 tenths comment.
Or...and here's a radical idea...take a look at the lap times? If Alonso wanted to hype himself why would he say Lewis made a mistake which shifts credit away from himself?

ringo

Ryar wrote:
It's working out nicely. great wins to races ratio. 7 wdc and more wins and poles than Max at the same stage in his career with lesser cars.

Mercedes did not need to be perfect to be leading half way this season.
Maybe Alonso in that redbull would be 60 points ahead.

It's like when a gazelle is being chased by a cheetah and then trips up and gets caught. When it thinks it's game over.. its an inexperienced teenager cheetah who knows how to chase, fast as hell, but doesn't know how to use its teeth properly to go in for the kill and seal the deal, so the gazelle gets another chance at life and runs away to live to fight again.

It's redbull and Max's responsibility to punish mercedes for their mistakes.
He had the car to be on pole. But instead qualfied 4 tenths behind. The car had more potential than that.
Bahrain.. he should have waited to overtake Lewis.
Silverstone.. the same. just wait and seal the deal later.

Hamilton is making it easy with with lapses in attention. But historically his head quickens up about 5/8 of the way into the season. So max has maybe 2 more races to make the most of before Hamilton goes into his purple patch run.
For Sure!!

ringo

By the way folks. I was not making up what Max said to reassure himself. He really tells himself these things out loud.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/max-ver ... amilton/

Just read that article. Marko and Horner probably give this kid audio tapes of Tina Turna's simply the best to listen to while he sleeps.

Hamilton must be quietly smiling now as things fall into place from a mindgames aspect. The pipe is slowly rupturing.
Cranking on the pressure are you mercedes?
For Sure!!

dans79

peewon wrote:
06 Aug 2021, 04:52
If Alonso wanted to hype himself why would he say Lewis made a mistake which shifts credit away from himself?
He still got the hype in, hence why you see so many "news" articles withe a title like "Alonso taught hamilton the racing line".

Those are all based on this comment.
“I think he learned a couple of different lines in the last three corners after the 10 laps behind me. He was able to pass Carlos just in one lap, applying those new lines.”
197 104 103 7

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

dans79 wrote:
06 Aug 2021, 05:29
peewon wrote:
06 Aug 2021, 04:52
If Alonso wanted to hype himself why would he say Lewis made a mistake which shifts credit away from himself?
He still got the hype in, hence why you see so many "news" articles withe a title like "Alonso taught hamilton the racing line".

Those are all based on this comment.
“I think he learned a couple of different lines in the last three corners after the 10 laps behind me. He was able to pass Carlos just in one lap, applying those new lines.”
Come on Fernando, so it had nothing to do with the fact that Sainz was slower than you at that point of the race? And last time I checked the Ferrari is slower than the Alpine in a straight line.

I was somehow wishing it was Max and Alonso fighting ther. It would have ended up in tears most likely. Hamilton kept the pressure on but never took unnecessary risks. I thought he drove brilliantly. So did Fernando of course, but he just can't help tapping himself on the back. Poor guy.

maxxer
maxxer

dans79 wrote:
06 Aug 2021, 04:08
Kingshark wrote:

It is his way of hyping up the team just like Lewis does , let it go