Escalation in race and team threads

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
User avatar
AeroDynamic
331
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:25 am
Location: La règle du jeu

Re: Escalation in race and team threads

Post

Big Tea wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:45 pm
AeroDynamic wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:18 pm
Just_a_fan wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:56 pm


What does that mean in the context of a forum about F1? We're not discussing people escaping from poverty or violence. We're discussing F1. There is no "walk in someone's shoes" in that context.
Shoes usually refers to personal experience. We are followers and fans. I think the appropriate thing that he means to say is “follow a season with my cap on” and feel like me.

Represent or hide, follow a season with my 🧢 on, and you’ll be a fan too, with something to prove.

There’s always going to be one. They are a minority. Use the mute button, and when it gets too much, just step away and go outside for some fresh air. :)
Besides, If you still don't like them then, you are a mile away and they have no shoes.
😂 preach 👏🏽

User avatar
hugobos
0
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:01 am

Re: Escalation in race and team threads

Post

It is always the same issue, respectful people should not get upset as they should act as a better person.
I tried to participate in a race thread, and it upset me. And Yes I stopped posting , and I let it go.
The forum guidelines state perfectly how to post,react and behave as normal person- altough normal is the average of all the odd people..
Even if there are no forum changes, reading that more people notice these escalations is for me a happy thought.
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced

User avatar
dans79
245
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:33 pm
Location: USA

Re: Escalation in race and team threads

Post

The better person will only turn the other cheek so many times though. At some point they are going to get tired of it, and push back, and in some cases push back real hard.

Thats was causes the messes, people pushing back because the original problematic users/posts were never dealt with in an appropriate fashion. Most of the time it seems the problematic users are emboldened by the fact that they haven't faced any real consequences.

We've even had a user openly state he posts some stuff just to annoy/antagonize/wind-up others.
183 103 103 7

User avatar
Wouter
88
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:02 pm

Re: Escalation in race and team threads

Post

dans79 wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:29 pm
Thats was causes the messes, people pushing back because the original problematic users/posts were never dealt with in an appropriate fashion. Most of the time it seems the problematic users are emboldened by the fact that they haven't faced any real consequences.
Do you think that is still the case today? I think there has been some strict moderation and immediate action lately. 👍
The Power of Honda!

User avatar
dans79
245
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:33 pm
Location: USA

Re: Escalation in race and team threads

Post

Wouter wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:49 pm
dans79 wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:29 pm
Thats was causes the messes, people pushing back because the original problematic users/posts were never dealt with in an appropriate fashion. Most of the time it seems the problematic users are emboldened by the fact that they haven't faced any real consequences.
Do you think that is still the case today? I think there has been some strict moderation and immediate action lately. 👍
I see lots of posts getting removed, but the users behind the posts are right back at it a few hours or days later.

That's a clear sign the punishment isn't severe enough.
183 103 103 7

User avatar
hugobos
0
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:01 am

Re: Escalation in race and team threads

Post

When an email discussion goes sour in company, I visit people in there office, talk to them online with camera on. Face to face this has never failed me. You can’t do this in a forum , only the moderator ,the proposed emojis and our ongoing respectful behavior will lead to improvement.
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced

User avatar
Wouter
88
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:02 pm

Re: Escalation in race and team threads

Post

dans79 wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:05 pm
Wouter wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:49 pm
dans79 wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:29 pm
Thats was causes the messes, people pushing back because the original problematic users/posts were never dealt with in an appropriate fashion. Most of the time it seems the problematic users are emboldened by the fact that they haven't faced any real consequences.
.
Do you think that is still the case today? I think there has been some strict moderation and immediate action lately. 👍
.
I see lots of posts getting removed, but the users behind the posts are right back at it a few hours or days later.

That's a clear sign the punishment isn't severe enough.
.
The question then is whether they still post in the same way or whether they have adapted their way of posting
by using different wording/more respect. I think the latter is mostly the case, but it won't be for everyone.
Last edited by Wouter on Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Power of Honda!

User avatar
nzjrs
60
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:21 am
Location: Redacted

Re: Escalation in race and team threads

Post

What time zones are the moderators in out of interest? I feel like there are some hours of the day where there is no one 'on duty'.

User avatar
Wouter
88
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:02 pm

Re: Escalation in race and team threads

Post

nzjrs wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:24 pm
What time zones are the moderators in out of interest? I feel like there are some hours of the day where there is no one 'on duty'.
🤫🤭 🙂

There is not a single forum that is moderated 24 hours a day.
That is impossible, because then the moderators would have to live spread all over the world.
The Power of Honda!

User avatar
nzjrs
60
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:21 am
Location: Redacted

Re: Escalation in race and team threads

Post

Wouter wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:41 pm
nzjrs wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:24 pm
What time zones are the moderators in out of interest? I feel like there are some hours of the day where there is no one 'on duty'.
🤫🤭 🙂

There is not a single forum that is moderated 24 hours a day.
That is impossible, because then the moderators would have to live spread all over the world.
That's what I'm suggesting! If there is a new moderator chosen, prefer the one in a previously uncovered timezone.

I work on projects that recruit internationally following this principle...

User avatar
dans79
245
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:33 pm
Location: USA

Re: Escalation in race and team threads

Post

Wouter wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:41 pm
There is not a single forum that is moderated 24 hours a day.
That is impossible, because then the moderators would have to live spread all over the world.
I've been a member of a few maching related forums that had excellent coverage. One used to have roughly 50 moderators, from across the world, and would routinely have 2 or 3 online at all times.

I'm a member of a private discord channel related to 3d printing, and it always has at least 1 moderator online.

However just having a bunch of moderators doesn't do anything itself. You need a strict policy, and the moderators need to apply it very rigidly.
183 103 103 7

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan
540
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:37 pm

Re: Escalation in race and team threads

Post

Wouter wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:41 pm
nzjrs wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:24 pm
What time zones are the moderators in out of interest? I feel like there are some hours of the day where there is no one 'on duty'.
🤫🤭 🙂

There is not a single forum that is moderated 24 hours a day.
That is impossible, because then the moderators would have to live spread all over the world.
It's the internet. One thing it does is give access around the world. One could have mods in the Americas, mods in Europe/Africa, and mods in Asia and you've got 24 hour coverage.
Turbo says "Dumpster sounds so much more classy. It's the diamond of the cesspools." oh, and "The Dutch fans are drunk. Maybe"

User avatar
hollus
Moderator
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:21 am
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

Re: Escalation in race and team threads

Post

Except that there are only 5-6 of us, and life often gets on the way. No time zone arrangement would fix that.
Immediate service is simply not to be expected.
I would like to see a paleontologist.

User avatar
nzjrs
60
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:21 am
Location: Redacted

Re: Escalation in race and team threads

Post

Maybe we just need a few more moderators then?

User avatar
SiLo
97
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:09 pm

Re: Escalation in race and team threads

Post

nzjrs wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:38 am
Maybe we just need a few more moderators then?
Might be worth seeing how many new users there are vs how many moderators have been added over the same time period. If the site has grown its user base 5x, but added no new moderators, of course stuff will get missed.
Felipe Baby!