Potential rules loophole: Safety car restarts

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Stu

Re: Potential rules loophole: Safety car restarts

Cast your minds back to Mugello last year!!

I would say that even keeping within the rules around lapping behind the safety car (maximum gaps etc) there is a potential to game a safety car restart if team-mates are running one-two (for the advantage of either), it would probably only work once (and potentially cause carnage). Timing would be key, but it would fit within the written regulations.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

adrianjordan

Stu wrote:
16 Nov 2021, 08:59

I would say that even keeping within the rules around lapping behind the safety car (maximum gaps etc) there is a potential to game a safety car restart if team-mates are running one-two (for the advantage of either), it would probably only work once (and potentially cause carnage). Timing would be key, but it would fit within the written regulations.
I've often thought it would be useful if a team's drivers are running 1st and 2nd at a safety car restart to have the lead driver able to count down to the restart for the benefit of his team mate, so they can get a jump on the following pack.

Actually, how cool would it be if team mates could talk to each other during a race!!
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

subcritical71

I would be more concerned about ‘gap building’ between teammates during a VSC. Since drivers need to keep positive gaps, accumulating 0.1 sec gaps around the circuit could give a few sec gap before the VSC is cleared.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

adrianjordan wrote:
17 Nov 2021, 02:29
Stu wrote:

I've often thought it would be useful if a team's drivers are running 1st and 2nd at a safety car restart to have the lead driver able to count down to the restart for the benefit of his team mate, so they can get a jump on the following pack.

Actually, how cool would it be if team mates could talk to each other during a race!!
I'd be amazed if the teams at the front didn't discuss safety car restarts and the bolting point during the pre race briefing and ensure that both drivers know where to put the hammer down. All teams will discuss the safety car, but obviously only the ones at the front are likely to need to worry about when to put the hammer down. Easy enough to say "right, whichever one is leading, the hammer goes down at this point on the track".
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

adrianjordan

Just_a_fan wrote:
17 Nov 2021, 11:40
adrianjordan wrote:
Stu wrote:

I'd be amazed if the teams at the front didn't discuss safety car restarts and the bolting point during the pre race briefing and ensure that both drivers know where to put the hammer down. All teams will discuss the safety car, but obviously only the ones at the front are likely to need to worry about when to put the hammer down. Easy enough to say "right, whichever one is leading, the hammer goes down at this point on the track".
True, but that assumes they are able to predict how fast Bert will get the Safety Car back to the pits.

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

adrianjordan wrote:
19 Nov 2021, 01:11
Just_a_fan wrote:
adrianjordan wrote:

True, but that assumes they are able to predict how fast Bert will get the Safety Car back to the pits.
It doesn't matter really. Once the lights go out on Bert's car, whoever is in P1 sets the pace. He can do 10 mph for a half a lap it he wants. Ultimately, the guy in P1 should always be able t ensure that his team mate in P2 is in a position "follow the plan".
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

adrianjordan

Just_a_fan wrote:
19 Nov 2021, 01:17
adrianjordan wrote:
19 Nov 2021, 01:11
Just_a_fan wrote:

It doesn't matter really. Once the lights go out on Bert's car, whoever is in P1 sets the pace. He can do 10 mph for a half a lap it he wants. Ultimately, the guy in P1 should always be able t ensure that his team mate in P2 is in a position "follow the plan".
I meant in terms of picking a spot on track, before the race, where they'd bolt. If they then caught the safety car too quickly it could result in an accident.