Verstappen has never won a championship (29-Nov-2021), possibly soon outdated.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Wouter

Re: 2021 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix - Jeddah, Dec 03 - 05

xaero wrote:
29 Nov 2021, 12:23
Wouter wrote:
29 Nov 2021, 11:55
Just_a_fan wrote:
29 Nov 2021, 10:51
I am not a Max fan
Very difficult to digest above. Sorry couldn't resist :mrgreen:
I've always been a Honda fan and Max now drives a Honda PU, but that doesn't mean I have to be a fan of his,
or do you think that's why I should be a fan of Max right away? Or Perez, or Yuki, or Pierre? #-o

I have a huge respect for his talent and don't call him "Crashtappen" like you do. Sorry couldn't resist.
The Power of Dreams!

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Wouter wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:
29 Nov 2021, 10:51
Max hasn't won a car championship.
He has some karting titles but only did a season in a car in F3 before moving to F1. He came 3rd in F3.
I am not a Max fan, but to say he has "some" karting titles is not true.
I said "some" only because I knew he'd won karting championships but had no idea off the top of my head how many.

It's interesting to look at the histories of the drivers on the current grid. Most of them had some success in junior formulae but not nearly as much as might be expected. Perez, for example, only won a single season in junior formulae - not what one might expect. Indeed, his junior career was far from stellar.

Alonso only did 2 seasons of cars before F1 and won one of them. The stand out junior record goes to the guy that is the subject of so many arguments on this forum. He won every junior formulae he was in - either winning it first time or staying in the series and winning it at the second time of trying before then progressing up the formulae. Interestingly, Bottas had a good junior record winning 3 series titles.

Hmmm, this is all very OT. Perhaps a new thread discussing driver progression would be a good idea. We could also talk about the young talent coming through too.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

NathanOlder wrote:
29 Nov 2021, 12:08
Just_a_fan wrote:
29 Nov 2021, 11:34
AeroDynamic wrote:
29 Nov 2021, 11:19

I thought you had to win championships to get enough FIA license points to drive in F1.

Look at Jamie Chadwick, she’s won two titles back to back, in a ‘car’ championship, and still hasn’t got enough points, and from what I understand, her W series car is more or less an F3 car?

How did max get into F1 with enough points with no championships in lower categories?
The rules were changed after Max got in. The new rules that came in from 2016 are nicely summarised here:
From next year any new applicant for a super licence must be the holder of a valid driving licence and at least 18 years old by the start of the first F1 race weekend. The driver must answer questions on the international sporting code and regulations and have completed at least 80% of two full seasons of qualifying championships. New drivers must also have covered at least 300km in a representative F1 car at racing speeds and over a two-day period.
[...]
Drivers will acquire points from the junior categories, with 40 points needed in a three-year period before a super licence can be granted. Only five series will offer an immediate 40 points or more to the overall winner: a future FIA F2 championship, the current GP2 feeder series, European F3, the world endurance championship and Indy Car in the United States. The GP3 series and Formula Renault 3.5 world series, both of which have served as a direct springboard into Formula One in recent years, would provide only 30 points to the winner from a single season.
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/ ... verstappen

Basically Max wouldn't have got in to F1 today. Kimi wouldn't have either as he took a short cut back in the day.

I don't know if the W series has been added to the list of qualifying junior formulae. If Jamie can't qualify for the super licence then that would suggest the W Series isn't considered a qualifying formula by the FIA. It ought to - there are 20 drivers from around the world in it and the car meets F3 homologation rules.
W Series does reward Super Licence points, 15pts for winning the series, then 12, 10 , 7 , 5 , 3 , 2 & 1pt
That'll be it then - two titles for Chadwick only gives her 30 super licence points and 40 are required.

El Scorchio

Wouter wrote:
29 Nov 2021, 12:42
xaero wrote:
Wouter wrote:

I am not a Max fan
I've always been a Honda fan and Max now drives a Honda PU, but that doesn't mean I have to be a fan of his,
or do you think that's why I should be a fan of Max right away? Or Perez, or Yuki, or Pierre? #-o

I have a huge respect for his talent and don't call him "Crashtappen" like you do. Sorry couldn't resist.
You have certainly gone to quite a lot of trouble to cut and paste his karting record to 'defend' him from what most wouldn't even perceive as criticism. I certainly wouldn't bother doing that for any driver- let alone one I wasn't a fan of- so it's not difficult to see why people would be under that impression.

AeroDynamic

El Scorchio wrote:
29 Nov 2021, 12:56
Wouter wrote:
xaero wrote:

You have certainly gone to quite a lot of trouble to cut and paste his karting record to 'defend' him from what most wouldn't even perceive as criticism. I certainly wouldn't bother doing that for any driver- let alone one I wasn't a fan of- so it's not difficult to see why people would be under that impression.
Precisely. 8-[

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Tommy Cookers wrote:
29 Nov 2021, 12:27
what does eg a Moto GP WC do to get into F1 ?
(eg the Valentino Rossi case)

there was nothing to stop eg John Surtees or Bill Ivy winning the F1 WDC ? - if given the best car (as 2007 LH)
JY Stewart said Ivy was the next big thing ('out qualifying' all the WCs in F2 Thruxton in an 'old' car)

and Rosemeyer of course
Different rules back then. The rules set out who can apply for a super licence. If Rossi can get the necessary qualifying points, he can have a licence.

Why the need to have a dig at LH? He didn't race on bikes so isn't relevant to your question. :roll:

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

El Scorchio wrote:
Wouter wrote:
xaero wrote:

Guys and gals, let's keep this from getting personal. Wouter's post was factual and in no way fan-rant as some others are wont to do. This thread's been friendly up to now, let's keep it that way. 8)

AeroDynamic

I doubt John Surtees or Bill Ivy or Rossi would win the title in the best car against the BEST team mate though (including Massa's seat against Raikkonen) :lol:

Wouter

El Scorchio wrote:
Wouter wrote:
xaero wrote:

I can't stand Hamilton being described as a God here, while Max is often downplayed, which he certainly doesn't deserve!
A comment like he would have won "some kart races" while being phenomenal at karting disgusts me.
Both drivers are gigantic talents, but in the race topic there is only one gigantic good and that is not Max, as always.
It is very difficult for most here to show respect for two very talented drivers, the best of the grid.
By the way, it was only 3 minutes of cutting and pasting and I would have done that for every driver who is downplayed here.
The Power of Dreams!

hollus

End of posts split from the Jeddah GP thread.
Carry on, interesting discussion (not about the GP, on-topic here).
Rivals, not enemies.

Marty_Y
Marty_Y

Re: Verstappen has never won a championship (29-Nov-2021), possibly soon outdated.

https://www.essentiallysports.com/max-v ... ng-a-race/

Max Verstappen Recalls Horror Story with Father Jos Stranding Him Alone After Losing a Race
Published 12/31/2019, 2:22 PM EST
Jos Verstappen himself raced in Formula One between 1994 and 2003. Also, Max’s mother, Sophie Kumpen excelled in karting. The family’s expectations for ‘young’ Max have been said to be above normal. Rumour had it that Jos sometimes resorted to physical violence against the boy.

dans79

Re: Verstappen has never won a championship (29-Nov-2021), possibly soon outdated.

Marty_Y wrote:
30 Nov 2021, 00:41
https://www.essentiallysports.com/max-v ... ng-a-race/

Max Verstappen Recalls Horror Story with Father Jos Stranding Him Alone After Losing a Race
Published 12/31/2019, 2:22 PM EST
Jos Verstappen himself raced in Formula One between 1994 and 2003. Also, Max’s mother, Sophie Kumpen excelled in karting. The family’s expectations for ‘young’ Max have been said to be above normal. Rumour had it that Jos sometimes resorted to physical violence against the boy.
Given Jos's past issues, that wouldn't surprise me at all!
197 104 103 7

xaero
xaero

Wouter wrote:
xaero wrote:
Wouter wrote:

I am not a Max fan

Well ..it depends on context.
We need a miracle. We need only one racing lap.

jjn9128

Just_a_fan wrote:
29 Nov 2021, 12:54
That'll be it then - two titles for Chadwick only gives her 30 super licence points and 40 are required.
Not even, they only awarded super license points this season, so she has 15.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

El Scorchio

I'm not even sure why this was split into it's own thread rather than flat out deleted. it's only going to end in a huge argument and the thread being locked, regardless of how the title battle plays out.