2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Yas Marina, Dec 10 - 12

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Alexf1
Alexf1

Re: 2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Yas Marina, Dec 10 - 12

dans79 wrote:
24 Jan 2022, 20:55
yea, you mentioned that before, but as I and several others said, F1 doesn't have that.

not to mention from the very article.
Martin Goureau has the answer again: “The slow zones mean far fewer safety car interventions. Without the slow zones, we’d have an American Nascar-style race where the safety car is out virtually all the time. Yes, the slow zone neutralises the race over a kilometre or two but things carry on as normal over the remaining 10 or 12 km.”
One to Two kilometers is a significant chunk of an f1 lap. Spa at 7.004 km is the longest track on the callendar. Mexico is 4.304km. They aren't going to ask the drivers to crawl along for ~20% to ~50% of a lap, they will just read flag the race.
I said 2 corners in my post, these 2 should be the slow zone for the unlapping cars.

dans79

Alexf1 wrote:
24 Jan 2022, 23:50
I said 2 corners in my post, these 2 should be the slow zone for the unlapping cars.
You need to move beyond this specific incident, and look at the larger picture.

For example consider Magnussen's 2016 spa crash, how much of the track do you plan to make a slow zone in that scenario?

The only logical scenario I can see would be La Source through Les Combes (a significant chunk of the lap). Anything else and you will have the drivers entering the vicinity of the crash at high speed (waiting to the last minute to hit the brakes), and then matting it as soon as they are past. Both cases are equally bad.

Entering they might lose it under braking, as they will wait till the last meter to hit the brakes. They will mat it as soon as they exit the zone, and if they happen to pick up a puncture (something we see often), they will be flat out instead of at safety car speeds.
197 104 103 7

Alexf1
Alexf1

dans79 wrote:
25 Jan 2022, 00:44
Alexf1 wrote:

For example consider Magnussen's 2016 spa crash, how much of the track do you plan to make a slow zone in that scenario?

The only logical scenario I can see would be La Source through Les Combes (a significant chunk of the lap). Anything else and you will have the drivers entering the vicinity of the crash at high speed (waiting to the last minute to hit the brakes), and then matting it as soon as they are past. Both cases are equally bad.

Entering they might lose it under braking, as they will wait till the last meter to hit the brakes. They will mat it as soon as they exit the zone, and if they happen to pick up a puncture (something we see often), they will be flat out instead of at safety car speeds.
From the pre crash marshall post to post crash. No erratic braking. If other series can, F1 can. They're drivers, not demons

Stu

All of this and nobody has pointed out the Jules Bianchi incident?

The below is a fairly long read, but contains the results of the investigation into the why’s and wherefore’s around the crash

https://www.racecar-engineering.com/art ... chi-crash/
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Mogster

Alexf1 wrote:
25 Jan 2022, 08:48
dans79 wrote:
25 Jan 2022, 00:44
Alexf1 wrote:

From the pre crash marshall post to post crash. No erratic braking. If other series can, F1 can. They're drivers, not demons
Aren’t the only venues using slow zones those with a lap so long that using a single conventional safety car is problematic. Le Mans and the Nordschleife are the only venues I can think of.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Stu wrote:
25 Jan 2022, 09:34
All of this and nobody has pointed out the Jules Bianchi incident?

The below is a fairly long read, but contains the results of the investigation into the why’s and wherefore’s around the crash

https://www.racecar-engineering.com/art ... chi-crash/
Bianchi's incident shows that the waved yellows idea is flawed - "slow and prepare to stop" is very vague. A slow zone requiring the driver to be on the pit lane speed limiter whilst in the zone, gets rid of that. Apply the slow zone a suitable distance ahead of the incident 1 or, more likely, 2 marshal posts before the incident and end it at the post following the incident. In the Bianchi incident, Jules would have been doing 80km/h in the corner where the tractor was being used, not well over 120km/h.

Make the penalty for infringing the slow zone suitably harsh - 10 second stop and go, for example - and the drivers won't try to be silly with it.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Alexf1
Alexf1

Letting lapped cars fall back into the pack is also fine by me

Scalexf1
Scalexf1

Yes, it’s possible they can pull to one side and allow themselves to fall to the back in their competitive order.
Then at the end of the race if any of the cars that were allowed to fall to the back and not unlap themselves are in the points, they are then required to prove that they have enough fuel to complete the extra lap they did not complete, it’s a simple calculation.
It would work fine except for the odd upset like when Vettel was removed from the results in Hungary, as it’s pretty obvious the team had worked out they would be at least a lap down at the end of the projected race simulation so they elected to under-fuel the car. They were not expecting the first lap carnage and the resulting race in 2nd place.

Jolle
Jolle

In this “lapped cars would need to fall back and do an extra lap” why the extra lap? Besides the danger is having cars on their outlap sharing the same track pace with cars racing, it’s unnecessary. They just finish a lap down.

PlatinumZealot

Alexf1 wrote:
24 Jan 2022, 20:02
That's why I suggested he should instruct the teams to communicate to their drivers to drive slow through turn 13 and 14 and keep the inside which was clean with no marshalls there
Still requires one lap after the track is cleared for safety car reconnaisance. It is often forgetten that the Marshals were rushed to clean up. There was still extinguisher dust on the track where lattifi had his accident.

In my view we had 53 laps of racing - which is enough to be entertained and enough for the race to play out. The last artificial events at the end were not necessary, not entertaining, definitely not safe and definitely a twisting of the rules. A farce.

Can't wait till the investigation comes out. Then I will decide whether i keep watching in 2022.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Stu

Best course of action would have been to cancel the whole YMGP result…
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Big Tea

Stu wrote:
26 Jan 2022, 20:57
Best course of action would have been to cancel the whole YMGP result…
That may have been the best option, and given the same result, but imagine how many people would wan their money for the race not being 'officially run'
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

AeroDynamic

they should've just gone back to adbu Dhabi and held a sprint race between the two. winner takes all, with Parc Ferme set up from the Sunday.

nzjrs

It was fine, a fitting end to the year. My bet is they will have some new rule that says safety car in the last 5 laps is a red flag and restart. I think that's about adequate.