2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Yas Marina, Dec 10 - 12

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Big Tea

Re: 2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Yas Marina, Dec 10 - 12

AeroDynamic wrote:
26 Jan 2022, 21:30
they should've just gone back to adbu Dhabi and held a sprint race between the two. winner takes all, with Parc Ferme set up from the Sunday.
Another 'lets do something that's not in the rule book' probably would not go down too well :twisted:
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

PlatinumZealot

Stu wrote:
26 Jan 2022, 20:57
Best course of action would have been to cancel the whole YMGP result…
Not sure, but it would be interesting to find out if it has happened before 8)
I think though, once the flag has dropped the GP event has happened and cannot be annulled.
The ending race laps can be reversed to the last normal lap as we have seen many times with red flags and such.
Race positions for disqualified drivers can be removed.
Stewards decisions? I can't remember one now... very rare to be turned over.
But I have never seen a race event undone.

Actually Belgian GP 2021 would be the prime candidate to be annulled, but I think too much money is on the line for Liberty to do that.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PlatinumZealot

nzjrs wrote:
26 Jan 2022, 21:59
It was fine, a fitting end to the year. My bet is they will have some new rule that says safety car in the last 5 laps is a red flag and restart. I think that's about adequate.
You would have to take the average time/number of laps a safety car is deployed for and use that. The average might be even higher than 5. Five laps is actually an extremely short safety car period!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

nzjrs

PlatinumZealot wrote:
26 Jan 2022, 23:28
nzjrs wrote:
26 Jan 2022, 21:59
It was fine, a fitting end to the year. My bet is they will have some new rule that says safety car in the last 5 laps is a red flag and restart. I think that's about adequate.
You would have to take the average time/number of laps a safety car is deployed for and use that. The average might be even higher than 5. Five laps is actually an extremely short safety car period!
Well sure, if it's perfection they are after then they should normalize by lap-time or express the figure in terms of time and convert it to an equivalent floor rounded number of laps that differs ever circuit.

On the other hand, 5 laps is a round number.

Alexf1
Alexf1

PlatinumZealot wrote:
26 Jan 2022, 20:47
Alexf1 wrote:
24 Jan 2022, 20:02
That's why I suggested he should instruct the teams to communicate to their drivers to drive slow through turn 13 and 14 and keep the inside which was clean with no marshalls there
Still requires one lap after the track is cleared for safety car reconnaisance. It is often forgetten that the Marshals were rushed to clean up. There was still extinguisher dust on the track where lattifi had his accident.

In my view we had 53 laps of racing - which is enough to be entertained and enough for the race to play out. The last artificial events at the end were not necessary, not entertaining, definitely not safe and definitely a twisting of the rules. A farce.

Can't wait till the investigation comes out. Then I will decide whether i keep watching in 2022.
Clerk of the course decides if track is clear and safe, not safety car. Sure I understand 53 laps of AD were enough for you, but that's cherry picking. Didn't hear you say the same about last 2 laps in Baku. Keep watching in 2022 cause most of the things that happened in the last laps of AD that were not in favour of Lewis have nothing to do with rules not being followed: losing his advantage on track due to safety car, car nr. 2 having enough advantage to do free pitstop, removing lapped car between them that got back between because car nr. 2 made that free pitstop. All very aggravating if you want to see your man win, but don't take Totos words as gospel cause it's the same man that moved heaven and earth to get a restart in Baku and some green laps in Spa cause it was in his best interest. The AD situation just got back and bit him.

PlatinumZealot

Alexf1 wrote:
26 Jan 2022, 23:57

Clerk of the course decides if track is clear and safe, not safety car.

This is known. The clerks was pressured to hurry up as you can see on the videos of men jumping over the barriers with cars about to be released.
Sure I understand 53 laps of AD were enough for you, but that's cherry picking.
Ironic. :D It was Masi that did his cherry picking! (a slim line from race fixing) and that is the whole point of the investigation.

But no, I use 53 laps to say the race was not boring to seasoned F1 fans. So I am talking about using entertainment as a reason to want to "rush safety." I suspect that someone high up decided that 53 laps were not "entertaining enough" and not fitting for the finale, so they said to hell with the rules, let's make this blockbuster! And Masi seeming reversed his decision to follow the rules in a matter of seconds.
Didn't hear you say the same about last 2 laps in Baku.
I don't see how Baku is relevant. In Baku we had a number of things happening:
1) It was not known what caused the tyre blow-outs. Was it only one car? or all the cars this will affect?
2) There was debris strewn hundreds of meters over the track
3) The barriers were damaged
4) FIA and Pirrelli needed some more time to decide what they do.

This is clear red-flag conditions.
Keep watching in 2022 cause most of the things that happened in the last laps of AD that were not in favour of Lewis have nothing to do with rules not being followed: losing his advantage on track due to safety car, car nr. 2 having enough advantage to do free pitstop, removing lapped car between them that got back between because car nr. 2 made that free pitstop. All very aggravating if you want to see your man win, but don't take Totos words as gospel cause it's the same man that moved heaven and earth to get a restart in Baku and some green laps in Spa cause it was in his best interest. The AD situation just got back and bit him.
I was watching the sport (if it is still a sport now) waaay before Lewis Hamilton came on the scene, and If the sport remains a sport I will continue to watch it after he retires. He's just a driver. I used to watch WWF and WCW too. Stone Cold, Hulk Hogan and all of those characters. The stories got played out and I grew up. But at least I knew it was based fully on entertainment from the start.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Alexf1
Alexf1

PlatinumZealot wrote:
27 Jan 2022, 00:21
Alexf1 wrote:
26 Jan 2022, 23:57

Clerk of the course decides if track is clear and safe, not safety car.

This is known. The clerks was pressured to hurry up as you can see on the videos of men jumping over the barriers with cars about to be released.
Sure I understand 53 laps of AD were enough for you, but that's cherry picking.
Ironic. :D It was Masi that did his cherry picking! (a slim line from race fixing) and that is the whole point of the investigation.

But no, I use 53 laps to say the race was not boring to seasoned F1 fans. So I am talking about using entertainment as a reason to want to "rush safety." I suspect that someone high up decided that 53 laps were not "entertaining enough" and not fitting for the finale, so they said to hell with the rules, let's make this blockbuster! And Masi seeming reversed his decision to follow the rules in a matter of seconds.
Didn't hear you say the same about last 2 laps in Baku.
I don't see how Baku is relevant. In Baku we had a number of things happening:
1) It was not known what caused the tyre blow-outs. Was it only one car? or all the cars this will affect?
2) There was debris strewn hundreds of meters over the track
3) The barriers were damaged
4) FIA and Pirrelli needed some more time to decide what they do.

This is clear red-flag conditions.
Keep watching in 2022 cause most of the things that happened in the last laps of AD that were not in favour of Lewis have nothing to do with rules not being followed: losing his advantage on track due to safety car, car nr. 2 having enough advantage to do free pitstop, removing lapped car between them that got back between because car nr. 2 made that free pitstop. All very aggravating if you want to see your man win, but don't take Totos words as gospel cause it's the same man that moved heaven and earth to get a restart in Baku and some green laps in Spa cause it was in his best interest. The AD situation just got back and bit him.
I was watching the sport (if it is still a sport now) waaay before Lewis Hamilton came on the scene, and If the sport remains a sport I will continue to watch it after he retires. He's just a driver. I used to watch WWF and WCW too. Stone Cold, Hulk Hogan and all of those characters. The stories got played out and I grew up. But at least I knew it was based fully on entertainment from the start.
No way. The efforts by the marshalls, the stewards, clerk and the RD in AD were clearly done with the best intentions to end the race under green: as a car race. Don't mix a serious F1 race up with WWF roleplay. I think it's a bit disrespectful to say all these officials were suddenly told to do something differently by "someone high up there". That sounds a bit too conspiracy theory to me. Sure Masi is not ideal but the way you state things is blowing it way out of proportion. Let's wait and see what comes out of this investigation. I expect no more than some recomendations for the future regarding swift use of SC and maybe lapped cars going to back of the pack instead of unlapping.

KeiKo403
KeiKo403

Alexf1 wrote:
27 Jan 2022, 00:47

Let's wait and see what comes out of this investigation. I expect no more than some recomendations for the future regarding swift use of SC and maybe lapped cars going to back of the pack instead of unlapping.
*edit* after re-reading what you put I notice you said about not unlapping, remaining 1 lap (or more) down but just shuffled backwards

Alexf1
Alexf1

KeiKo403 wrote:
27 Jan 2022, 13:24
Alexf1 wrote:

Let's wait and see what comes out of this investigation. I expect no more than some recomendations for the future regarding swift use of SC and maybe lapped cars going to back of the pack instead of unlapping.
*edit* after re-reading what you put I notice you said about not unlapping, remaining 1 lap (or more) down but just shuffled backwards
Read it here, I think he may have picked up some informal FIA ideas: https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... midt-blog/

siskue2005

If i was Masi, i would have resigned myself long ago, that would have saved some dignity integrity for himself.

Mogster

KeiKo403 wrote:
27 Jan 2022, 13:24
Alexf1 wrote:

Indycar do that if there’s a FCY close to race finish iirc.

Not really keen on re-setting the whole event for a 1-2 lap dash. The pressure to finish under green flag conditions seems like it could force unnecessary red flags also.

Ryar

siskue2005 wrote:
06 Feb 2022, 20:27
If i was Masi, i would have resigned myself long ago, that would have saved some dignity integrity for himself.
Why? Because Hamilton fans wants him to? Any man with integrity would fight out when he believes he did nothing wrong, unless forces beyond his control throw him out without giving a fair trial. Resigning means two things. Guilty and/or caving into bullying.
Hakuna Matata!

siskue2005

Ryar wrote:
07 Feb 2022, 05:27
siskue2005 wrote:
Why? Because Hamilton fans wants him to? Any man with integrity would fight out when he believes he did nothing wrong, unless forces beyond his control throw him out without giving a fair trial. Resigning means two things. Guilty and/or caving into bullying.
What fair trail? :lol:
He is already thrown out, if you had seen the new fia heirachy chart.
If he believes what he did is right then thats not defined as integrity, thats incompetence.
99.99% of the f1 fanbase and f1 expert (except some max fans) agree what he did was not right and the fia acknowledges this, hence the investigation!

mclaren111

siskue2005 wrote:
07 Feb 2022, 12:33
Ryar wrote:
siskue2005 wrote:
If he believes what he did is right then thats not defined as integrity, thats incompetence.
99.99% of the f1 fanbase and f1 expert (except some max fans) agree what he did was not right and the fia acknowledges this, hence the investigation!

Nonsense... I'm one of those who think he acted correctly at the time...

siskue2005

mclaren111 wrote:
07 Feb 2022, 13:04
siskue2005 wrote:
07 Feb 2022, 12:33
Ryar wrote:

Nonsense... I'm one of those who think he acted correctly at the time...
So? You are in the 0.01%