2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Xero

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

P6 for Lando, excellent effort!

Chuffed for Carlos, first pole position.

Ben1980
Ben1980

P6 is pretty good.

For such an awful car....

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

If McLaren need extra motivation to put together a front running car, it's Lando Norris, that kid is top tier.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Swed3120
Swed3120

Ah, I see Daniel is a back to his usual ways

McL-H
McL-H

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
02 Jul 2022, 16:48
Just lost his confidence in the wet with a moving chassis under him. He’s amazing when the ship is on rails seemingly and on par if not faster than NOR when the car responds to his liking. Kinda was unlucky there with not getting the fast laps in when the track was at its best at the start of q2
You can’t keep talking about bad luck when you have to do so on weekly basis.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Disappointing from Daniel, could be a long, tough race, especially since it appears the race strategists have been poor lately.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

JordanMugen

A.J.O wrote:
02 Jul 2022, 13:41
Keys CV is not as impressive but McLarens results took a jump up the grid when Key joined.
The car fix on the MCL33 resulting in the much improved MCL34 was headed by Pat Fry. But Fry was only on a short contract for some reason. I'm not too sure why Fry wasn't retained by McLaren? :?:

Stig14
Stig14

Ground Effect wrote:
02 Jul 2022, 17:15
Disappointing from Daniel, could be a long, tough race, especially since it appears the race strategists have been poor lately.
Unfortunately that's what happens when you don't put the car where it should be on a Saturday. I'm optimistic that the car has the inherent pace this weekend to work its way to the points for Daniel. There's at least a couple of cars ahead who should naturally fall back which will aid his cause.

As for Lando, another superb showing to keep it all together and deliver on what the car is capable of. Hopefully tomorrow he can keep his nose clean and bring home a decent haul of points which we've been missing of late! The straight line speed deficit doesn't seem so prominent here (perhaps because they're able to carry more speed onto the start of the hanger straight?).

Swed3120
Swed3120

I Firmly now believe that lando is unstoppable on intermediates.
Sad to see Daniel back to his usual self, barely managing Q2 while his team-mate is fighting for best of the rest.
He seems to only be able to drive the car when it’s naturally slow, thinking back, every weekend Dan was in lando’s pace, the car was generally quite slow, every weekend where we are fighting for P6/7 Daniel is off the pace (bar possibly AUS).
Maybe he just can’t deal with the car when it has raw speed
Biggest threat tommorow will definitely be russel. Imagine a 3 Brit battle of Hamilton, Norris and Russell for best of the rest.

Edit; just realized that Latifi beat Ricciardo by 4 or positions in an in-upgraded Williams , that’s just sad on his part

UnaF1
UnaF1

The narrative is still like "oh, poor old Danny, he's soo good in the car with strong front end...". For such an experienced driver, he must have known that it wasn't McLaren's forte, and if he didn't do due diligence on McLaren... well, all that crosses my mind is that he thought more about retirement fond when signing for them, than anything else.
Why oh why is he so unsackable...

CjC
CjC

JordanMugen wrote:
02 Jul 2022, 17:26
A.J.O wrote:
Keys CV is not as impressive but McLarens results took a jump up the grid when Key joined.
The car fix on the MCL33 resulting in the much improved MCL34 was headed by Pat Fry. But Fry was only on a short contract for some reason. I'm not too sure why Fry wasn't retained by McLaren? :?:
Fry was offered a short term deal to fill the void till James Key could take up his role at Mclaren. Zac offered Pat a contract but he ultimately wanted the role of James Key so he took the tech chief role at Renault instead
Just a fan's point of view

McL-H
McL-H

CjC wrote:
02 Jul 2022, 19:01
JordanMugen wrote:
02 Jul 2022, 17:26
A.J.O wrote:
Fry was offered a short term deal to fill the void till James Key could take up his role at Mclaren. Zac offered Pat a contract but he ultimately wanted the role of James Key so he took the tech chief role at Renault instead
Would have been better off with Fry.

blastdoman
blastdoman

Qualifying according to what the McLaren season is going to be. Good work by Lando and embarrassing performance by Daniel. I'm looking forward to the end of the season to get this burden off us

lio007

saviour stivala wrote:
02 Jul 2022, 00:50
Must have been a first in formula on that a mechanic is caught on camera trying to put a rear wheel on the other way round.
Yeah, this was really fun to watch...and the gunman just looking at it :) at the first moment I couldn't believe what I saw. This is why love this sport, they really thrive for perfection but sometimes things like that happen

adrianjordan

Swed3120 wrote:
02 Jul 2022, 17:04
Ah, I see Daniel is a back to his usual ways
Just like this thread every race weekend.

Why is it only McLaren fans who can't see the difference between a team thread and a race thread??

Come on guys. It's beyond annoying having to wade through page after page of, effectively, commentary about the practice sessions, qualifying and the race. There's a thread for that. The clue is in the name!!
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️