2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Ben1980
Ben1980

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

I'm sure both Lando and Daniel left the pits at the same time for q2. Both on similar run plans. Lando nailed his and Daniel didn't. But, did Lando change tyres? I think Daniel did, though could be wrong.

mwillems

I think that whilst Daniel has improved, he hasn't improved to the point where anyone thought the old Danny Ric is back. Possibly this is because of the level that Lando is running at and possibly it is down to Daniels struggles. But what I believe is that Daniel hasn't done anything to merit retaining his seat if and when that question arises.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Stig14
Stig14

Ben1980 wrote:
05 Jul 2022, 21:55
I'm sure both Lando and Daniel left the pits at the same time for q2. Both on similar run plans. Lando nailed his and Daniel didn't. But, did Lando change tyres? I think Daniel did, though could be wrong.
For Q1 Daniel boxed and lando didn't. For Q2 they both kept the same set throughout. Daniel left the pits about 20 seconds after Lando, about the same time as Fernando so the conditions would have been nigh-on identical.

Stig14
Stig14

mwillems wrote:
05 Jul 2022, 22:03
I think that whilst Daniel has improved, he hasn't improved to the point where anyone thought the old Danny Ric is back. Possibly this is because of the level that Lando is running at and possibly it is down to Daniels struggles. But what I believe is that Daniel hasn't done anything to merit retaining his seat if and when that question arises.
I agree but I struggle to see any viable alternatives for the next 1-2 years. Albon? O'ward? Herta? Anyone from Indycar would obviously be a massive gamble and contingent on the superlicense points situation (is it still the case they would have to be champion to get enough points?)

mwillems

Stig14 wrote:
05 Jul 2022, 22:39
mwillems wrote:
I agree but I struggle to see any viable alternatives for the next 1-2 years. Albon? O'ward? Herta? Anyone from Indycar would obviously be a massive gamble and contingent on the superlicense points situation (is it still the case they would have to be champion to get enough points?)
Oscar Piastri has every right to be an F1 driver today and isn't, brilliant talent. I hope he is available when Ricciardo makes his exit. Even if Ricciardo gets better I'd take Piastri but that is because he looks to be absolutely top drawer.

Stig14
Stig14

mwillems wrote:
05 Jul 2022, 22:53
Stig14 wrote:
mwillems wrote:
Oscar Piastri has every right to be an F1 driver today and isn't, brilliant talent. I hope he is available when Ricciardo makes his exit. Even if Ricciardo gets better I'd take Piastri but that is because he looks to be absolutely top drawer.
I'd be surprised if Alpine were to let a talent like that leave their control. He's surely the succession plan for Fernando so I see that one as a bit of a long shot (sadly).

runningmanz
runningmanz

McG wrote:
05 Jul 2022, 01:06
Are runningmanz and djos the same person with 2 accounts. Same walls of text making excuses for Ricciardo race after race. There was a user before that did this to get positive ratings and got caught.

10 races done 12 to go.
Norris 58 points, 7th in championship.

Ricciardo 15 points, 14th in championship.

McLaren need another top driver in the other car, not to baby Ricciardo until the end of his career.
Nope, but I notice you are pretty much the most antagonistic poster in this thread. Give it a rest and stop making every post about some sort of pissing contest. We are pretty much just taking the same constructive line as the team with him and not ignorantly posting the scoreboard every other post without taking a deep look at actually what occurs race by race. What you call excuses a logical person calls an explanation or are you saying the team are full of excuses seeing as you seem to know more than them. The bulk of those points difference came in one race anyway when Dan was arguably faster than Lando and got shafted in Q3 at Imola with the red flags one of which was caused by Lando putting the car in the fence. Dan made a small mistake touching the kerb and rubbing wheels with Sainz in the race, pretty unlucky with the outcome if you watch the replay closely where he got boxed in running into T1.

Even a 5 year old kid can post the scoreboard and come up with borderline trolling sentences.

Dan has two decent races before this so its not a clear regression certainly not with what transpired which many just blindly ignore and only look at the end result, which is pretty daft and lazy imo. The changing weather conditions with the heavier rain in Q2 which James Key mentioned in the post qualli press release affected him making Q3.

" Daniel’s run in Q2 was a victim of circumstance and the changing conditions. The track was getting slower as more rain fell throughout the session and effectively fixed the order at an early stage. I have little doubt that Daniel would be much higher up the order if the conditions had remained constant. It’s a real shame, but we know he will fight to score points tomorrow."

https://www.mclaren.com/racing/2022/bri ... ualifying/

If you believe differently you are basically saying you know more than the team which has all the data available unlike the armchair critics. The race its clear when you watch the live timing and live race positions he was stuck in a DRS train from lap 2 until 21 behind Bottas with the first silly pitstop putting him on hards and then came out behind Schumi and KMag and was in a train behind them until his DRS failed on lap 31. Its not hard to see and certainly doesn't warrant this ignorant 'its all Dans fault' nonsense many are posting. He had no realistic chance at points given the failed DRS and extra pitstop not to mention two +4 sec pitstops.

Yeah Dan does need to improve which he had the last two races and especially qualli better to put him clear of alot of problems but it wasn't exactly a straightforward weekend for him (not many have, nor have they been just him apparently performing poorly each time) here at all to be fair, nor is it black and white with the scoreboard. I'd say the bigger problem at the moment is the brick of a car and the team dropping the ball with pit strategies (for both guys) like they have done in the last 3 races and mechanical issues like the overheating brakes at the end of Canada or the stuck DRS Dan had this race.

Ben1980
Ben1980

I just want Daniel to do a weekend when he just outperforms what is expected. It seems to happen the other way. When Daniel Struggles lando puts in a top 6. But when lando has issues Daniel maybe gets 9th or 10th. His decent laps are generally when lando is also decent.

Mainly talking about qualifying here.

But, other then that. I'm not sure if a change will be a back difference.

MrGapes

Out of curiosity any information on the newly upgraded wind tunnel? is that expected for q4 this year?

bauc

MrGapes wrote:
06 Jul 2022, 13:17
Out of curiosity any information on the newly upgraded wind tunnel? is that expected for q4 this year?
Last info was that it should be operational in 2023 and 2024 car will be billed using the new windtunnel, that is why Zak said from 2024 there will be no excuses for us.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

mwillems

Stig14 wrote:
06 Jul 2022, 07:27
mwillems wrote:
05 Jul 2022, 22:53
Stig14 wrote:

I'd be surprised if Alpine were to let a talent like that leave their control. He's surely the succession plan for Fernando so I see that one as a bit of a long shot (sadly).
I hope not, I'm looking forward to lots of hilarious jokes about a Danish Piastri, Cornish Piastri, Flaky Piastri and the fact that he knows a lot of tarts.

mwillems

bauc wrote:
06 Jul 2022, 15:15
MrGapes wrote:
06 Jul 2022, 13:17
Last info was that it should be operational in 2023 and 2024 car will be billed using the new windtunnel, that is why Zak said from 2024 there will be no excuses for us.
2023 will also be developed in the 23 season with the wind tunnel, as well as tackling the 24 car from scratch.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/mclaren-w ... 0of%202022.

Macklaren
Macklaren

Snowblindoz wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 15:59
Slahinki wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 12:44
Well, according to the post race radio that late call was on both Will and Lando, and I certainly wouldn't want to remove the one driver we have that is performing.
I always thought Lando was quite a bright kid, no problem at all with his call in Russia, that was very much 50/50 while leading the race.
But if what your saying is right, then they need to get someone else to make the calls, because in this instance, it was a diabolical decision.
Perhaps they had too much time and faffed about in their heads over what was a pretty obvious call.
I was actually listening to the car radio live so I can shed some light on this. Before Lando pitted, he was asked whether he wanted to switch to the softs and Lando said he couldn't do it, but the team told him that Ocon did 22 laps on the softs and so he seemed convinced. Ultimately, the team put him on hards because that's what Fernando did. But when the safety car came out, the team again asked him to come in and switch to softs. But Lando this time said that the hards felt good and had come in so he didn't want to do that. There was then 30 seconds of silence before the team overruled him and asked him to box, but he had just passed the pit lane entry by then :(

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

I've watched F1 long enough to see good drivers wrestle and bring out the best in bad cars, hence the myth that the driver is "outperforming the car". Daniel isn't remotely doing that, for whatever reason. I'd be much more appreciative of his efforts if you see the back end stepping out occasionally, him locking wheels left right and centre, even sliding in and out of gravel or the odd fender bender in FP's. Something to show he's trying to find the limit or trying to compensate for a lack of something in the car. But most of the time, he just drives within himself and slowly, for whatever reason. He either has a good weekend or a bad one. He's been on pace with Lando for multiple occasions this season. But someone of his experience and reputation needs to "thrash" Lando once in a while. Look what Fernando is doing to Ocon. I still feel, which is just my opinion that there's a big chunk of his problems that is down to tyres.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

djos

Daniel is one of the smooth drivers and wrestling cars has not been a thing since Pirelli became the sole supplier. If you wrestle the car, the tires Kill themselves very quickly!
"In downforce we trust"