2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
djos

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Lucky wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 13:02
djos wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 13:01
Lucky wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 12:59

Didn 't prove it
It did, Mclaren got the car driving to his liking and he won the race, not thru luck either!
He won the race. This proves that the car is normal.
The team admitted their cars didn’t handle like other teams, including Carlos calling it “weird “. And Lando confirming this.
"In downforce we trust"

Peter Ian Staker
Peter Ian Staker

I don't care for "the car didn't suit him" excuses.
Ultimately all the great drivers need to be able to adapt. If RIC can't and is half a second of his teammate that's on RIC.

damo46
damo46

What a shock it would be if Hamilton retires and Lando takes his place

mwillems

djos wrote:
Lucky wrote:
djos wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 12:56
C'mon, that's just silly talk - he proved it was the McLaren cars that were the problem last year by winning in Monza on merit.
Didn 't prove it
It did, Mclaren got the car driving to his liking and he won the race, not thru luck either!
That ignores Landos results, which are consistently better, have been on podiums, with near misses on wins (Down to luck and judgement), he can drive the car. If the car is a problem it is a problem that Daniel should have the ability to solve. The biggest problem a car has is not having pace, but the car usually had pace.

The only big problem with the car is how to unlock that pace and whilst there is more work for the driver to do with our car, I expect the driver to do it if he is to be the best. Daniel cannot. Lando can.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

geogate
geogate

just what do you think mclaren are doing to make their car consistently drive like an odd ball mclaren? This years car has completely different wheel geometry and yet still the same huge gap between drivers.

Ben1980
Ben1980

djos wrote:
Lucky wrote:
djos wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 12:56
C'mon, that's just silly talk - he proved it was the McLaren cars that were the problem last year by winning in Monza on merit.
Didn 't prove it
We've been told the car last year was hard to drive, unique and quirky. Sane as this year?

Now the car was good in Monza no doubt. But there was some luck with the top 2 crashing into each other.

djos

Ben1980 wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 13:31
djos wrote:
Lucky wrote:

Didn 't prove it
We've been told the car last year was hard to drive, unique and quirky. Sane as this year?

Now the car was good in Monza no doubt. But there was some luck with the top 2 crashing into each other.
Straight from Lando:
Norris admits that the car has characteristics that make it difficult to drive and require a special technique.

"I can understand on some points," Norris said when asked if he could relate to Ricciardo's struggles. "Because I do feel like it's a difficult car to drive, our car.

"I think like our characteristics we've also had over the past few years, and even Carlos [Sainz] said it, they're quite specific and unique.
https://au.motorsport.com/f1/news/norri ... 34648/amp/

Btw, Daniel was already leading the race when Hamilton and Max collided.
"In downforce we trust"

mwillems

djos wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 13:42
Ben1980 wrote:
djos wrote:

Straight from Lando:
Norris admits that the car has characteristics that make it difficult to drive and require a special technique.

"I can understand on some points," Norris said when asked if he could relate to Ricciardo's struggles. "Because I do feel like it's a difficult car to drive, our car.

"I think like our characteristics we've also had over the past few years, and even Carlos [Sainz] said it, they're quite specific and unique.

None of which changes the fact that Lando could unlock the pace regularly and Daniel couldn't.

JPower
JPower

Peter Ian Staker wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 13:10
I don't care for "the car didn't suit him" excuses.
Ultimately all the great drivers need to be able to adapt. If RIC can't and is half a second of his teammate that's on RIC.
No one cares for that excuse outside of Ricciardo fans at this point.

Its a bad one and fails to hold Ricciardo accountable. McLaren has clearly seen enough to know he’s never going to get to where he needs to be.

djos

mwillems wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 13:52
djos wrote:
Ben1980 wrote:

Straight from Lando:

None of which changes the fact that Lando could unlock the pace regularly and Daniel couldn't.
I’m not disputing that.
"In downforce we trust"

Macklaren
Macklaren

Daniel should move into McLaren's 3rd Indycar entry. He can compete for wins every weekend and the championship, he gets to drive an "old skool" car, he loves the USA and the USA loves him. Win win all around. Beats fighting for Q3 every weekend with Alpine

Sofa King
Sofa King

Danny would be a superstar here. He will have plenty of opportunities whatever he chooses to do
Macklaren wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 14:01
Daniel should move into McLaren's 3rd Indycar entry. He can compete for wins every weekend and the championship, he gets to drive an "old skool" car, he loves the USA and the USA loves him. Win win all around. Beats fighting for Q3 every weekend with Alpine

mwillems

djos wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 13:58
mwillems wrote:
djos wrote:

Straight from Lando:

I’m not disputing that.
So I'm not sure what you're getting at as it seems to defend DR in these circumstances.

If your saying he probably has pace with certain other cars and it's a shame he couldn't unlock the pace of our car, I'd agree totally.

A move elsewhere will either help.... or give more credence to the opinion it is the formula that is creating this years difficulties and that he's done under these regs.

But whilst I like him and hope he does well elsewhere, I don't feel his record at Mclaren warrants defence, he has been dominated.

djos

mwillems wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 14:12
djos wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 13:58
mwillems wrote:

I’m not disputing that.
So I'm not sure what you're getting at as it seems to defend DR in these circumstances.

If your saying he probably has pace with certain other cars and it's a shame he couldn't unlock the pace of our car, I'd agree totally.

A move elsewhere will either help.... or give more credence to the opinion it is the formula that is creating this years difficulties and that he's done under these regs.

But whilst I like him and hope he does well elsewhere, I don't feel his record at Mclaren warrants defence, he has been dominated.
I was refuting the claim from lucky that the Mclaren cars are “normal” from a handling pov.
"In downforce we trust"

PhillipM
PhillipM

Which nobody can refute because all these cars have their own handling quirks, that's why they're all struggling to set cars up every weekend