2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Slahinki
Slahinki

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

the EDGE wrote:
07 Aug 2022, 12:27
Slahinki wrote:
07 Aug 2022, 01:41
the EDGE wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 20:49

Well I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again

Changing the driver is a waste of time when not even Lando can get the car to the top

It’s just distraction to the real problem, which should be building a car capable of winning. That should be the main focus
Making a car capable of winning is not handled by the same people that decide which drivers to go for. It is perfectly possible to be focused on making the car better, or making a better car, while simultaneously getting rid of a driver that is too far off his team mate and is bleeding points away. It's hardly a distraction or a waste of time when it is costing the team points.
The engineers employed to design the car are as much the responsibility of Zac & Andreas, as the drivers employed to drive the car
And those engineers won't be distracted from working on the car, because they have nothing to do with signing or dismissing drivers.

McL-H
McL-H

the EDGE wrote:
07 Aug 2022, 12:02
McL-H wrote:
07 Aug 2022, 01:11
the EDGE wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 20:49

Well I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again

Changing the driver is a waste of time when not even Lando can get the car to the top

It’s just distraction to the real problem, which should be building a car capable of winning. That should be the main focus
I agree with you to some extent. However, Daniel cost us P3 last year and is likely to cost us P4 this year. The fact we were fighting for P3 last year and have fallen down the order to only fight for P4 this year proofs your point and I fully agree that McLaren’s problems are bigger than the driver line-up. But we can’t ignore the negative role Ricciardo is playing in terms of the positions we actually are fighting for. He is way off of Lando and is not improving. That said, there is no guarantee it will improve with a driver switch, as Ricciardo is no Lance Stroll either.
Well I’m hoping Dan gets a drive with Alpine next year. If he does, and he’s on the pace of Ocon, it will tell us a lot about the Mcl36, and more importantly, the problem they need to solve before they can move forward
The team will know quite well what the car is lacking. Ricciardo moving to Renault and beating Ocon will not learn us anything more about the car. What it will proof only more, however, is Ricciardo’s inability to adapt to a car that’s not completely up to his liking.

RS200E

runningmanz wrote:
07 Aug 2022, 04:13
RS200E wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 13:14
djos wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 02:04

Daniel has beaten Max in the same car, Vettel in the same car and stolen wins from the most dominant team ever to exist in F1, Mercedes.

It’s clear where the problem lies, Mclaren’s car philosophy!
That was all in the distant past. Max progressed far far far beyond Riccardo. The problem lies with Ricciardo's inability, as can be seen by the fact that a younger less experienced teammate is thoroughly embarrassing him nearly 2 full seasons in a row.
There's no way of knowing how Dan would have faired if he stayed with Red Bull, however with those 8 dnfs (pretty much all not driver related) in 2018 there was an analysis done points adjusted where leading into the last 3 races he would have been pretty close to Max on points. Renault he finished strong in 2020. McLaren has been the only real struggle for him. He may get back to form in another team if he gets that chance, maybe not but to suggest he is no good anymore is a bit premature and disrespectful of his talents shown over a long period in F1 imo.
He would have been utterly destroyed like he is being destroyed now. Some recent red bull cars have also been difficult to drive which Max has been able to adapt to. It's likely Ricciardo would have not been able to adapt as Max does. All the evidence points towards Ricciardo being comparatively a midfield driver now. There's far too much talent out there to be 7th or 8th best driver.

Hamilton
Russell
Verstappen
Leclerc
Norris
Alonso
Sainz

All faster than Ricciardo, all more adaptable than Riccardo. Sainz only just.

Arguably on the same level as

Perez. And I'm giving Ricciardo the benefit of the doubt here.
Magnussen who is ahead of him in the standings IN A HAAS WITH 4 DNF.

Unknowns are Gasly who has apparently come along, Schumacher who might end up developing very well, Bottas who falls short in wheel to wheel battles and consistency but has an edge it in adaptability and qualy pace.
The power of Red Bull Powertrains!

PlatinumZealot

McLaren is exceeding expectations if the reports about their wind tunnel are true. Once that upgrade is in full swing, I guarantee you we will see them fighting for wins again.

As for the drivers, Daniel's performance is actually pretty decent. The problem is, Daniel successfully sold himself to Zack as an elite driver, got the big money to deliver as such but then when the rubber hit the road he was inferior to the driver that left. Basically, McLaren got sold a six for a nine but can't blame Daniel for believing in himself can we?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PhillipM
PhillipM

Exceeding according to who?
They don't even have the thing spun up and correlated yet.

organic

PlatinumZealot wrote:
07 Aug 2022, 16:39
McLaren is exceeding expectations if the reports about their wind tunnel are true. Once that upgrade is in full swing, I guarantee you we will see them fighting for wins again.

As for the drivers, Daniel's performance is actually pretty decent. The problem is, Daniel successfully sold himself to Zack as an elite driver, got the big money to deliver as such but then when the rubber hit the road he was inferior to the driver that left. Basically, McLaren got sold a six for a nine but can't blame Daniel for believing in himself can we?
what expectations? what reports?

RS200E

PlatinumZealot wrote:

What?

1 DNF for Norris and Ricciardo and Norris is best of the rest while Riccardo is 12th costing McLaren 4th in the championship at the moment.

Oleo
Oleo

RS200E wrote:
07 Aug 2022, 17:16
PlatinumZealot wrote:

What?

1 DNF for Norris and Ricciardo and Norris is best of the rest while Riccardo is 12th costing McLaren 4th in the championship at the moment.
Ricciardo had like 3 poor qualy's which caused bad raceresults in races where Norris finished 6th or 7th, his racepace seems mostly fine, when he is ahead of Norris McLaren were not in the points (except Baku), when Norris is ahead they were, add a few technical issues and the small firstcorner mistake in Imola (Norris podium) and the conclusion is his performance is actually pretty decent.

RS200E

Oleo wrote:
07 Aug 2022, 22:11
RS200E wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:

What?

Ricciardo had like 3 poor qualy's which caused bad raceresults in races where Norris finished 6th or 7th, his racepace seems mostly fine, when he is ahead of Norris McLaren were not in the points (except Baku), when Norris is ahead they were, add a few technical issues and the small firstcorner mistake in Imola (Norris podium) and the conclusion is his performance is actually pretty decent.
Absolute nonsense. You and about 4 other people on this site seem to be the only ones that are in denial. Take a look at the results, at the end of the year and get back to me.

Slahinki
Slahinki

Oleo wrote:
RS200E wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:

What?

It's not a decent performance by any metric. At all. Neither by qualifying pace, race pace or points. The head to head is attrocious. Decent performance, lmao.

runningmanz
runningmanz

RS200E wrote:
07 Aug 2022, 16:22
runningmanz wrote:
07 Aug 2022, 04:13
RS200E wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 13:14

That was all in the distant past. Max progressed far far far beyond Riccardo. The problem lies with Ricciardo's inability, as can be seen by the fact that a younger less experienced teammate is thoroughly embarrassing him nearly 2 full seasons in a row.
There's no way of knowing how Dan would have faired if he stayed with Red Bull, however with those 8 dnfs (pretty much all not driver related) in 2018 there was an analysis done points adjusted where leading into the last 3 races he would have been pretty close to Max on points. Renault he finished strong in 2020. McLaren has been the only real struggle for him. He may get back to form in another team if he gets that chance, maybe not but to suggest he is no good anymore is a bit premature and disrespectful of his talents shown over a long period in F1 imo.
He would have been utterly destroyed like he is being destroyed now. Some recent red bull cars have also been difficult to drive which Max has been able to adapt to. It's likely Ricciardo would have not been able to adapt as Max does. All the evidence points towards Ricciardo being comparatively a midfield driver now. There's far too much talent out there to be 7th or 8th best driver.

Hamilton
Russell
Verstappen
Leclerc
Norris
Alonso
Sainz

All faster than Ricciardo, all more adaptable than Riccardo. Sainz only just.

Arguably on the same level as

Perez. And I'm giving Ricciardo the benefit of the doubt here.
Magnussen who is ahead of him in the standings IN A HAAS WITH 4 DNF.

Unknowns are Gasly who has apparently come along, Schumacher who might end up developing very well, Bottas who falls short in wheel to wheel battles and consistency but has an edge it in adaptability and qualy pace.
I'm sorry but this is clearly anti-Ricciardo bias. You have no way of knowing how he would have performed staying on at Red Bull (where he performed admirably against Max over 3 years when taking into account the 8 2018 DNFs as well) and are clearly just focusing in on two seasons in McLaren's uniquely quirky cars and ignoring any nuances of what has actually occured race by race. Sure it doesn't fully remove blame from Dan with the overall disappointing performances at McLaren but it does shed some light on some of the scoreboard deficit and disappointing results which is only fair to take into account, rather than blindly proclaiming the scoreboard as gospel which a 5 year old could do.

He has driven alot of different cars over the many years he has been in motor racing and adapted, particularly going from AT to RBR and beating Vettel convincingly and also recently in Renault in 2020 after his combined input in the car design direction. This has included outdriving the car and putting it higher than it should have been quite often and also winning races in cars on merit that were not a clear WCC capable car which is no mean feat. Many seem to have forgotten what he is capable of. Even Marko said after his unbelievable 2018 Monaco win

""It was a serious problem and Daniel managed it unbelievably, unbelievable,” Marko told Sky F1."

"“I don't think any other driver could have done it."

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-auto ... GP-F1-news

Pretty high praise from Marko saying no other driver at the time, not Lewis, Max or Seb could have done what Dan did in that car to win Monaco. Just an example of what he can do when he was at one with the car. We will have to agree to disagree. I just hope he gets the chance to redeem himself in another team and recapture the form everyone knows he is capable of. We saw a glimpse of that as recently as last race with the double overtake on the Alpines.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

I like Daniel a lot, my feelings about him potentially being replaced, even with a highly regarded young driver are mixed. But I find it irrelevant to the present state of things when people go back to 2016, even 2014 to defend him. Zero doubts he's been one of the best drivers to join the grid in the last decade or so, but why are we making it sound like people can't decline in their abilities? He was amazing in Red Bull, Fernando described him as one of the best of the grid, but is he still the same driver? Can he still deliver Monza 2022 performances over a sustained period? I'm not making conclusions but if I were looking to defend Daniels 2022 performance or his abilities, I don't think it adds anything by going back to 2014.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

runningmanz
runningmanz

Ground Effect wrote:
08 Aug 2022, 09:29
I like Daniel a lot, my feelings about him potentially being replaced, even with a highly regarded young driver are mixed. But I find it irrelevant to the present state of things when people go back to 2016, even 2014 to defend him. Zero doubts he's been one of the best drivers to join the grid in the last decade or so, but why are we making it sound like people can't decline in their abilities? He was amazing in Red Bull, Fernando described him as one of the best of the grid, but is he still the same driver? Can he still deliver Monza 2022 performances over a sustained period? I'm not making conclusions but if I were looking to defend Daniels 2022 performance or his abilities, I don't think it adds anything by going back to 2014.
Its not going back to 2014, examples were given of 2018 and even 2020 at Renault where he beat Ocon who is now currently giving Alonso a good battle. Lets put it this way then, are you trying to say that in a matter of months going from driving extremely well in the Renault in 2020 he lost his mojo as soon as he got to McLaren? I don't buy it. Its not possible in a matter of months to drop off that severely in form like that. A much more logical explanation is difficulties adapting to the McLaren car philosophy. It will be interesting to see if he does get another chance in Alpine or the likes how is form is. That will give us a much clearer picture of any potential decline in ability which I don't believe is happening, certainly not at 33.
Last edited by runningmanz on 08 Aug 2022, 09:42, edited 1 time in total.

djos

Source is apparently ESPN:

"In downforce we trust"

djos

Slahinki wrote:
08 Aug 2022, 00:08
Oleo wrote:
RS200E wrote:

What?

It's not a decent performance by any metric. At all. Neither by qualifying pace, race pace or points. The head to head is attrocious. Decent performance, lmao.
Whatever! The mob here that write Daniel off because he made the mistake of joining a team who’s car has “unique” handling characteristics that don’t inspire confidence really pi$$ me off!

Put Hamilton in the current Mclaren and you’d see him bitch and moan like he was earlier this year - compare that to Daniel who has been all class, never said a bad word about the team or car and always done his best to improve himself.

The haters here need to pull their heads in!
"In downforce we trust"