2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Macklaren
Macklaren

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

SmallSoldier wrote:
24 Aug 2022, 19:27
Macklaren wrote:
24 Aug 2022, 19:14
Not a surprise but even if Oscar ends up in the seat (as I expect), Zak now has a problem in America with Pato and potentially Colton and Alex Palou all wondering what they are doing at AMSP when the F1 door is now seemingly closed. Even if Lando bolts in 2025 (which I doubt), that's probably too late for all of them to make the switch.
Interestingly… The tweet from from McLaren welcoming Alex Palou is now deleted… Gone… Queue the intrigue!
Interesting indeed!

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
Macklaren wrote:
Not a surprise but even if Oscar ends up in the seat (as I expect), Zak now has a problem in America with Pato and potentially Colton and Alex Palou all wondering what they are doing at AMSP when the F1 door is now seemingly closed. Even if Lando bolts in 2025 (which I doubt), that's probably too late for all of them to make the switch.
Interestingly… The tweet from from McLaren welcoming Alex Palou is now deleted… Gone… Queue the intrigue!
I suspect it is just cautionary whilst they wait for the civil case to be resolved and not the result of anything more.

The Mclaren announcement is still on their website.

https://www.mclaren.com/racing/team/ind ... cing-2023/
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

mwillems wrote:
24 Aug 2022, 19:38
SmallSoldier wrote:
Macklaren wrote:
I suspect it is just cautionary whilst they wait for the civil case to be resolved and not the result of anything more.

The Mclaren announcement is still on their website.

https://www.mclaren.com/racing/team/ind ... cing-2023/
Yes, the announcement is still there and Zak welcoming him is also there, as well as AMSP’s quoting the McLarenF1 tweet (is the only one gone).

Big Tea

Sad to see him go, but I doubt there is anyone who was not expecting it. Some times things just do not work and the only thing to do is change
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

proteus

KeiKo403 wrote:
24 Aug 2022, 17:09
Sorry to say but ‘screw you Mclaren’. I hope your gamble on Piastri backfires and Daniel does amazing wherever he is next.

McLaren have been through a lot in recent times, losing Dennis, Eric, Honda to Renault, Renault to Mercedes. Alonso/Sainz, Sainz/Ricciardo. Too much swapping and changes in my eyes. Hope Dan blows Lando out the water (I’m a fan of Lando’s too though) and really makes McLaren regret this decision.
He got financially compensated for it, it is not like Mclaren sacked and threw him out on the street with nothing. I dont like him going away, but this year it was just painful to watch to be honest. The car proved as a bit of a dud for sure, but Lando still managed to get decent results with it, while Daniel failed to do so. It is a shame, but the team desperately needs 2 drivers performing, especially if they pay quite a sum of money for their services.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

1.5 years is plenty of time to prove himself. It just didn't work out.

I'm sad to see him go but I am happy with the decision. McLaren is not trying to do a sideways move but rather invest in a potential future star (Piastri). Hopefully Piastri comes in strong like Hamilton.

djos

runningmanz wrote:
24 Aug 2022, 16:32
Really sad it ended like this for Dan. Hope he finds his mojo again at another team. Glad we got to see that first win in 10 years for McLaren by him tho.

Excited to see what Piastri can do next year.
Not wrong, I just hope the MCL37 doesn't bite Oscar on the a$$ like McLaren cars did to Daniel.
"In downforce we trust"

runningmanz
runningmanz

djos wrote:
25 Aug 2022, 00:55
runningmanz wrote:
Really sad it ended like this for Dan. Hope he finds his mojo again at another team. Glad we got to see that first win in 10 years for McLaren by him tho.

Not wrong, I just hope the MCL37 doesn't bite Oscar on the a$$ like McLaren cars did to Daniel.
Yeah hopefully not, Oscar is an exciting young talent.

Lucky
Lucky

Vasco

Yeah this stint at Mclaren hasn't worked for Daniel. Sad to see him go - but also excited by Piastri. Mclaren must have seen something in Piastri to go to the extent of terminating Daniels contract (and compensating him for it) for a rookie who has never raced in F1 before.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Vasco wrote:
25 Aug 2022, 09:10
Yeah this stint at Mclaren hasn't worked for Daniel. Sad to see him go - but also excited by Piastri. Mclaren must have seen something in Piastri to go to the extent of terminating Daniels contract (and compensating him for it) for a rookie who has never raced in F1 before.
Maybe his performance in the simulator impressed them? I don't know if that carries any weight or how high the possibility is of bringing similar pace/performance to the track.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

mwillems

Ground Effect wrote:
25 Aug 2022, 09:32
Vasco wrote:
Maybe his performance in the simulator impressed them? I don't know if that carries any weight or how high the possibility is of bringing similar pace/performance to the track.
This is what I thought, but it was suggested by a few that he won't have been in the simulator as he would have gained information to pass back to Alpine.

But who knows, if we had built up the relationship with him ready to sign, perhaps we were able to get him in the simulator.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Vasco

mwillems wrote:
25 Aug 2022, 13:34
Ground Effect wrote:
25 Aug 2022, 09:32
Vasco wrote:
This is what I thought, but it was suggested by a few that he won't have been in the simulator as he would have gained information to pass back to Alpine.

But who knows, if we had built up the relationship with him ready to sign, perhaps we were able to get him in the simulator.
Thing is he might have the raw speed, but it won't mean anything if he constantly DNFs - unless Mclaren plan to run Piastri in FP1 this year once the contract dispute has been resolved.

RS200E

Correct decision by McLaren to drop Riccardo. Outclassed by Norris. Maybe the delusional fans will shut up now.
The power of Red Bull Powertrains!

RS200E

djos wrote:
25 Aug 2022, 00:55
runningmanz wrote:

He bit his own a$$ by not having the talent required, therefore he got booted out. Piastri is an unknown and could end up being ripped a new one by Norris just like Riccardo. All your arguments are nonsense now.
The power of Red Bull Powertrains!