2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

ScottR267 wrote:
20 Nov 2022, 12:21
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mcla ... /10402637/

More good news out of the team. Not solely relying on the big infrastructure projects to propel them forwards but also recognising they need further staff expertise.

After Aston Martin’s’ recruitment drive, good to see McLaren isn’t falling behind
Great to hear, I just feel this should have been done a season or 2 ago. The low speed issues that never seemed to go away should have pointed to the need for fresh aero and engineering eyes. But like they say, better late than never. =D>
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

aMessageToCharlie wrote:
20 Nov 2022, 13:18
People have been waiting patiently for Mclaren's return to form ever since 2013. If Norris wants to leave a mark in F1 he needs to be opportunistic or risk waiting patiently for another decade.

Meanwhile there's talk of Seidl leaving to Ferrari which would be another huge setback for the team.
Now it’s Seidl? A couple of days ago it was Fred Vasseur….. things never quite fell into place from 2013. They know the deficits, they’re being worked on, when they come online, then we can judge.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?

MrGapes

Ground Effect wrote:
20 Nov 2022, 13:41
ScottR267 wrote:

More good news out of the team. Not solely relying on the big infrastructure projects to propel them forwards but also recognising they need further staff expertise.

After Aston Martin’s’ recruitment drive, good to see McLaren isn’t falling behind
Great to hear, I just feel this should have been done a season or 2 ago. The low speed issues that never seemed to go away should have pointed to the need for fresh aero and engineering eyes. But like they say, better late than never. =D>
I remember a article where James said its something they can't replicate as well as other teams in the current wind tunnel..

MrGapes

Ground Effect wrote:
20 Nov 2022, 13:44
aMessageToCharlie wrote:
20 Nov 2022, 13:18
People have been waiting patiently for Mclaren's return to form ever since 2013. If Norris wants to leave a mark in F1 he needs to be opportunistic or risk waiting patiently for another decade.

Meanwhile there's talk of Seidl leaving to Ferrari which would be another huge setback for the team.
Now it’s Seidl? A couple of days ago it was Fred Vasseur….. things never quite fell into place from 2013. They know the deficits, they’re being worked on, when they come online, then we can judge.
isn't Seidl on a 2025 contract like Lando with no get outs

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

CjC wrote:
20 Nov 2022, 13:01
ScottR267 wrote:

A little concerning how he said that the brake issue in testing could still effect next years car🤦🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️
I don’t know how you intended to phrase the statement, but you make it sound like he said next years car could still have brake issues?

ScottR267
ScottR267

Ground Effect wrote:
20 Nov 2022, 13:41
ScottR267 wrote:

Second this, has been a little reactive rather than proactive, however as you state better late than never.

Fingers crossed the team can get some of the other top teams top engineers with their fresh ideas

Darth-Piekus

Don't we need aerodynamists in the level of Andrian Newey though? Andrian Newey doesn't seem to go anywhere than Red Bull, Ross Brawn is retired and into an FIA position. So who remains in their level?

blastdoman
blastdoman

Has Lando any problem?

ScottR267
ScottR267

Fair play to Daniel making the 1 stop strategy work

Darth-Piekus

It was an interesting end to the season. Verstappen was proven to everyone that he is a terrible character, we give our goodbyes to Sebastian Vettel, Lando Norris did the fastest lap of the Race for a good ending of this year, Ferrari somehow managed to get 2nd, Red Bull cheated in the second time in a row championship and never getting punished and we thank Daniel Ricciardo for that Monza win.

Emag
Emag

And that's an end to an overall disappointing season I would say. We were blue-balled a bit by the first test, but the huge problems the team encountered in Bahrain really hurt the start to the season. I was afraid we were going to be in for a long season after finishing last in the first race miles off the pace, but props to the team for getting out of that dreadful zone they were initially.

In terms of car pace, it wasn't exactly horrible, but considering how many retirements they had, I would say Alpine probably deserved this P4. Lack of pace in the second driver hurt us a lot, just like last year. But last year the car was a step above the midfield, and there were more points up for grabs with Lando. This year, with Ferrari reinstated in the top3, there were fewer points awarding positions available for the midfield, so the job for Lando was practically impossible. He could not beat both of the Alpines.

I guess as a season, in terms of relative performance, this was similar to 2020. The difference there being Carlos, who together with Lando were the ultimate duo that year I would say, but also, the same situation as last year, the availability of more points-scoring positions with Ferrari dropping the ball hard. In the end in 2020, we did manage to beat a faster car (Racing Point), thanks to the consistency of both drivers. This year we did not have that, so Alpine got it.

Let's just hope the team learned from their mistakes and come out strong straight out of the box next year.

Szabi1112
Szabi1112

ok! So when will the car launch be?

Slahinki
Slahinki

Szabi1112 wrote:
20 Nov 2022, 16:42
Mid to late February, most likely.

Swed3121
Swed3121

Slahinki wrote:
20 Nov 2022, 17:24
Szabi1112 wrote:
20 Nov 2022, 16:42
Mid to late February, most likely.
Pre season testing starts on 25th so that seems about right. Will probably. Be announced late Jan or early feb

CjC
CjC

Ground Effect wrote:
20 Nov 2022, 13:48
CjC wrote:
20 Nov 2022, 13:01
ScottR267 wrote:

A little concerning how he said that the brake issue in testing could still effect next years car🤦🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️
I don’t know how you intended to phrase the statement, but you make it sound like he said next years car could still have brake issues?
No, no brake issues for next year.
He just said that resources were taken away from performance development to fix the brakes which is understandable but it’s concerning that he’s saying the effects of having to do so has cost performance development for next years car aka it’s going to be slower than it could have been🙈
Just a fan's point of view