FIA Thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
chrisc90

Re: FIA Thread

“In any sporting event, while there is the act of the sport itself and the competition, I think you need the entertainment factor,” he said.
Oh dear. By all means put on a show alongside. Music concerts, bands, live entertainment etc, but dont inject fake entertainment into the sport itself.

vorticism

When the farmers and tradesmen would go sit on the grassy hillsides in Belgium or Italy for an afternoon I think it was the zooming cars on track and their wives' fresh picnic which was considered "the entertainment."

𓄀

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

vorticism wrote:
14 May 2023, 16:33
When the farmers and tradesmen would go sit on the grassy hillsides in Belgium or Italy for an afternoon I think it was the zooming cars on track and their wives' fresh picnic which was considered "the entertainment."

https://i.pinimg.com/474x/4f/25/57/4f25 ... m-spas.jpg
Addressing the vast presence of VIPs, Garfinkel explained: "It is great, people enjoy it.

"It shows the relevance and the popularity of Formula 1 as a sport. We were selling campus passes for $100 for Friday, $200 Saturday and $400 [for the race] so people can come in and experience a lot of different things and we have tried to create a lot of different things for them so they are not just sitting on a grassy knoll somewhere.
:lol: Grassy knolls are beneath the US GP organizers

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

AR3-GP wrote:
17 May 2023, 23:09
vorticism wrote:

Addressing the vast presence of VIPs, Garfinkel explained: "It is great, people enjoy it.

"It shows the relevance and the popularity of Formula 1 as a sport. We were selling campus passes for $100 for Friday, $200 Saturday and $400 [for the race] so people can come in and experience a lot of different things and we have tried to create a lot of different things for them so they are not just sitting on a grassy knoll somewhere.
Grassy knolls do have a certain infamous history in the US, however.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

vorticism

AR3-GP wrote:
17 May 2023, 23:09
vorticism wrote:

Tell Garfinkel he can charge per blade of grass sat upon--it's a great profit opportunity. A grass inspector can survey the impressions left behind and a bill can be sent to attendees.

I don't think he'll like the endurance racing scene, which is mostly about sitting on grass.
𓄀

Zynerji

Re: Aston Martin AMR23

carisi2k wrote:
29 May 2023, 04:00
AR3-GP wrote:
26 May 2023, 15:23
organic wrote:
25 May 2023, 18:33
https://i.imgur.com/8FmwMXb.jpeg

There is some tricky geometry/discontinuity going on with their flap's joint with the rest of the wing. Hard to say exactly what they're doing
That lateral flow is likely the purpose of this detail.
Except it is coming at the expense of what these new rules were made to achieve. The goal was to get rid of dirty air and these things create the dirty air and so they should be eliminated so as to achieve the goal of reduced dirty air.
Racecars of any shape create dirty air. 🙄

carisi2k

Zynerji wrote:
29 May 2023, 05:11
carisi2k wrote:
29 May 2023, 04:00
AR3-GP wrote:
26 May 2023, 15:23

That lateral flow is likely the purpose of this detail.
Except it is coming at the expense of what these new rules were made to achieve. The goal was to get rid of dirty air and these things create the dirty air and so they should be eliminated so as to achieve the goal of reduced dirty air.
Racecars of any shape create dirty air. 🙄
Don't give me that reply. The new rules showed a significant reduction in the dirty air and was proven on track last year with cars able to stay much closer to one another. The relaxation on these rules will just mean the move to these new regs will be pointless.

Zynerji

Some of us understand that every time that F1 resets the rules, the engineers overcome the artificial restrictions.

Why would you think this time was any different? 🤔

That is literally the DNA of F1, IMHO. To go fastest (barely) within the rules.

carisi2k

Zynerji wrote:
29 May 2023, 16:20
Some of us understand that every time that F1 resets the rules, the engineers overcome the artificial restrictions.

Because they haven't been enforced is why. Last year when Aston Martin had there end plates banned the FIA said they would do the same for anything else that goes against the spirit of the new regulations and yet here we are and things could be fixed in this department by banning these developments and they haven't. The FIA needs to crack down and tell every team that any modification will not be tolerated instead of being weak.

Zynerji

carisi2k wrote:
30 May 2023, 12:47
Zynerji wrote:

Because they haven't been enforced is why. Last year when Aston Martin had there end plates banned the FIA said they would do the same for anything else that goes against the spirit of the new regulations and yet here we are and things could be fixed in this department by banning these developments and they haven't. The FIA needs to crack down and tell every team that any modification will not be tolerated instead of being weak.
I think F2 is really what you are after then...

diffuser

carisi2k wrote:
30 May 2023, 12:47
Zynerji wrote:

The "spirit of the rule" is unenforceable. It's either in the rules or it's not. If it's not in the rules it's open to be used. The FIA are then allowed to rule on it later. If they rule against it, they can update the rules and give a deadline for it's removal.

This why Ferrari never really got penalized for running more fuel pressure that the regs permitted. Once you lay down a rule then enforce it with a fuel sensor that doesn't percicly test for that rule, you've opened a loophole for someone to exploit.

InsaneX_Badger

I don't want this at all btw but it's fun to talk about. Let's say you were the FIA and really keen on nerfing Red Bull in order to bring the grid close again, what would you do as the FIA? As it would have to be something that would hurt RB much more than any other team to bring closer parity to them all.

chrisc90

Well whatever you done/changes you made would have to be applied across all teams. So you would have to be for certain RB were doing something completely different to the others in their philosophy and car design than anyone else in order to change it and rule it out.

Seems almost impossible with this set of regulations. You cant just say no more chunk of floor infront of the back wheels for example.

RB have brought 2 different floor designs/concepts over 2 seasons and both have been very good.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

InsaneX_Badger wrote:
04 Jun 2023, 19:13
I don't want this at all btw but it's fun to talk about. Let's say you were the FIA and really keen on nerfing Red Bull in order to bring the grid close again, what would you do as the FIA? As it would have to be something that would hurt RB much more than any other team to bring closer parity to them all.
Add 10kg to the car for each race win. 70kg is a little over 2 seconds a lap lap time taken away.

It's an extreme thing, but probably about the only thing that would work as the RB is sufficiently far enough ahead that any fiddling of the rules wouldn't close the gap.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

InsaneX_Badger

Just_a_fan wrote:
04 Jun 2023, 19:19
InsaneX_Badger wrote:
04 Jun 2023, 19:13
Add 10kg to the car for each race win. 70kg is a little over 2 seconds a lap lap time taken away.

It's an extreme thing, but probably about the only thing that would work as the RB is sufficiently far enough ahead that any fiddling of the rules wouldn't close the gap.
That's what I was thinking at first, there does not seem to be any part of the car that they are not the best of not top 2 in currently, the team have done such a good job