2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: 2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Yes very exciting but "do they even give points for fifth place?" A win on merit this year is what really matters.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

lh13
lh13

PlatinumZealot wrote:Yes very exciting but "do they even give points for fifth place?" A win on merit this year is what really matters.
Don't worry, Russell will do that at some point too.

bluechris

lh13 wrote: ↑
30 May 2022, 05:30
PlatinumZealot wrote:Yes very exciting but "do they even give points for fifth place?" A win on merit this year is what really matters.
Yeah i think so to. The kid is flying which is logical if you consider what he was driving the previous seasons.

silver
silver

PlatinumZealot wrote: ↑
30 May 2022, 04:27
Yes very exciting but "do they even give points for fifth place?" A win on merit this year is what really matters.
May be you should ask Hamilton! 2008 Brazil comes to mind.

Mansell89
Mansell89

Interested to see Merc in Baku I have to say, following their top speed in Barca. I know Baku is more than just the long straight but will be an intriguing one to see Mercedes try to find the sweeter spot in set up.

organic

Mansell89 wrote: ↑
30 May 2022, 11:21
Interested to see Merc in Baku I have to say, following their top speed in Barca. I know Baku is more than just the long straight but will be an intriguing one to see Mercedes try to find the sweeter spot in set up.
Baku is another street circuit with bumpy, smooth surface and corner types more similar to Monaco. Other than the long straights I don't see this favouring the W13 particularly

Quantum

organic wrote: ↑
30 May 2022, 11:30
Baku is another street circuit with bumpy, smooth surface and corner types more similar to Monaco. Other than the long straights I don't see this favouring the W13 particularly
I'm more optimistic. Monaco was always going to be difficult and not really reflective of the W13, which Merc admit is not optimised for slower corners.
We also saw the the porpoising came from the the front end of the car through practice and quali. So while the problem resurfaced, it was at a lesser frequency and also not the same problem. This wasn't the case at Barca so is more to do with the unique nature of Monaco.

That being said, Baku does have a couple of corners which are Monaco-type slow and clumsy which will affect them. But the long straights will also suit them should the car exhibit the same behaviour it did in Barca. The straights in Baku and through the fast corners will be very interesting, as it's a set up conundrum. But Merc arent alone here, Ferrari might struggle too.
"Interplay of triads"

lh13
lh13

silver wrote:
30 May 2022, 04:27
May be you should ask Hamilton! 2008 Brazil comes to mind.
Hey, we're talking about Russell finishing 5th, not Hamilton, so there's a difference. Seems like Russell finishing 5th is not that important or interesting for some.

astracrazy
astracrazy

I expect here we will find out if they really have solved the bouncing issue with the top speeds they will reach.

silver
silver

zibby43 wrote: ↑
27 May 2022, 07:18
dialtone wrote: ↑
26 May 2022, 07:14
zibby43 wrote: ↑
26 May 2022, 07:10
Yes, Mercedes, the team that has for years underplayed their pace/performance at all costs, is suddenly shifting course and overstating their performance.

All while explicitly mentioning that the positive pace was limited to one race thus far, so they have to be guarded.

Some of y'all crack me up.
Rather than cracking up a joke, could you help instead understand how they got to being 0.1s behind a car that gave them 20 seconds in 20 laps?
I’m not the one with the jokes.

Let me ask you a question: Do you believe that Shovlin and Vowles are either a) lying or b) have worse data and less understanding of it than you?

I’ll hang up and listen.
Well, someone was clearly lying. This is what Toto said after Monaco.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/merc ... /10313805/
Team boss Toto Wolff says that while the W13 is showing some improvement, he thinks it is far from ideal that they still appear to be no closer in pace terms to the front.

"I think we are the third team," he said. "We're not second and we're not fourth. We have two extremely strong drivers, but it is a huge annoyance for all of us that that the gap is about the same.

"If you're looking at it optimistically, it's five tenths. If you're looking at it pessimistically, it's more than eight tenths. And that is clearly for all of us at Mercedes not acceptable."

PlatinumZealot

Everything is driver vs driver to you guys huh? :wtf:

I'm talking about the team getting back to winning ways! Driver support or driver Vs driver threads are not really allowed on the forum.

silver
silver

30 May 2022, 19:27
Everything is driver vs driver to you guys huh? :wtf:

I'm talking about the team getting back to winning ways! Driver support or driver Vs driver threads are not really allowed on the forum.
How do you think the team is going to get back to winning ways? The team of engineers come up with some ideas to improve the performance of the car and they put different things on different cars. One driver is getting the results that would provide the verification necessary for development and the other one is simply complaining about everything under the sun and not going out there trying to get the best out of the settings on the car. Clearly, engineers aren't getting what they want from one car. How is that going to help getting back to winning ways?

As an engineer, I really feel for the folks at the factory working their a$$ off to fix this car. Imagine if they also keep complaining about things and not give their 100%.

chrisc90

Im a little unsure how there can still be a deficit between the two drivers. Surely the setups arent going to be that much different come qualifying after 7 races in. I simply cant see why the team would run 2 different cars that are miles off the pace of each other.

Something isnt adding up here.

Big Tea

chrisc90 wrote: ↑
30 May 2022, 19:50
Im a little unsure how there can still be a deficit between the two drivers. Surely the setups arent going to be that much different come qualifying after 7 races in. I simply cant see why the team would run 2 different cars that are miles off the pace of each other.

Something isnt adding up here.
Maybe a disagreement where to take new engines and how hard to run them? Ham taking the long view of having engines when the car is improved, and Rus taking the points now.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

PlatinumZealot

Fifth place is not what Mercedes is about. Trundling around is no man's land is below the standards of the team. It's neither here nor there.

The aim is to get in a postion to win races on merit.