2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
De Jokke

Re: 2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

and there we go (half a second up): verstappen doesn't even have to work for it, such an easy car to drive.

So now RBR is also up in quali probably (looking at a 1-2 RBR in fp3), despite having already a dominant car in the race.
Great... so much for the '22 season...
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!

No final fast lap for HAM. HAM posted his fastest at the end of decent run, VER posted his at the start of a new run (RUS similar, achieved after a few tries). HAM was only a few tenths behind VER like-for-like. Really promising FP3.

Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

Wouter

214270 wrote:
02 Jul 2022, 14:53
No final fast lap for HAM. HAM posted his fastest at the end of decent run, VER posted his at the start of a new run (RUS similar, achieved after a few tries).

HAM was only a few tenths behind VER like-for-like. Really promising FP3.
A few tenths behind Max? 0.587 sec behind Max.
The Power of Dreams!

Just_a_fan

Wouter wrote:
02 Jul 2022, 15:43
214270 wrote:
No final fast lap for HAM. HAM posted his fastest at the end of decent run, VER posted his at the start of a new run (RUS similar, achieved after a few tries).

That is "a few" to many native English speakers. Not quite "several tenths". But opinions on what "a few" constitutes do vary depending on sources and locations.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Wouter

Just_a_fan wrote:
02 Jul 2022, 15:52
Wouter wrote:
214270 wrote:

That is "a few" to many native English speakers. Not quite "several tenths".
But opinions on what "a few" constitutes do vary depending on sources and locations.
Ah, oké! Thanks. Now I understand what Horner (English) means with a small update on the RB18. :D
IMO it is a big update.
The Power of Dreams!

Wouter wrote:
214270 wrote:

Like-for-like is the important part you’ve missed.

ie. at the time HAM put in his fastest, he was a few tenths behind VER (less than 2 tenths from memory).

PlatinumZealot

chrisc90 wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 19:59
wogx wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 19:41
Norris: "He was a great person, but it's different at Mercedes".

Lando Norris looks back on growing up with friend George Russell, but says the British driver has changed since racing for Mercedes. Speaking to the Independent, he says Russell's 'fun side' is no longer visible.

Drivers should not be moulded
Norris says his parents, trainer and manager never tried to mould him. Now that the young Briton is driving in Formula One, he sees other drivers being shaped by, for example, the teams they work with. "I don’t think that is a good thing. It takes away their personality," Norris says.

As an example, he cites Russell, who has not driven at Williams since 2022, but at top team Mercedes. "He was a great person, but it is different at Mercedes – a different vibe and a different atmosphere. I just don’t see as fun a side of him," says the McLaren driver.
https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/114064/n ... cedes.html
I, and a couple others, said similar a while back that George isnt being George since he joined Mercedes. Shame really. However I think thats the way the Mercedes team operates on race weekends. Always seems a lot more formal, than the other teams,
Not true. Ron Dennis' McLaren and Ferrari today are way more formal than the current Mercedes where Bottas and Lewis was up to all sorts of shennanigans, and Mercedes PR people littering twitter with meme posts galore. I believe George is just more serious because he has a bigger job on his hands now.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Just_a_fan

chrisc90 wrote:
wogx wrote:

Lando Norris looks back on growing up with friend George Russell, but says the British driver has changed since racing for Mercedes. Speaking to the Independent, he says Russell's 'fun side' is no longer visible.

Norris says his parents, trainer and manager never tried to mould him. Now that the young Briton is driving in Formula One, he sees other drivers being shaped by, for example, the teams they work with. "I don’t think that is a good thing. It takes away their personality," Norris says.

As an example, he cites Russell, who has not driven at Williams since 2022, but at top team Mercedes. "He was a great person, but it is different at Mercedes – a different vibe and a different atmosphere. I just don’t see as fun a side of him," says the McLaren driver.
I, and a couple others, said similar a while back that George isnt being George since he joined Mercedes. Shame really. However I think thats the way the Mercedes team operates on race weekends. Always seems a lot more formal, than the other teams,
George is now at a team that is at/near the front of the grid, where he can score serious points each race. It requires a different attitude to running around at the back in the Williams, enjoying a few moments in the Q2 spotlight. It's the difference between being a contender and an also-ran.

It has nothing to do with being in Merc, he’s the GPDA director. You can’t really be playing the fool whilst in that role. His increased seriousness was evident last yr. if you look back at it.

Ryar

Just_a_fan wrote:
02 Jul 2022, 17:29
chrisc90 wrote:
George is now at a team that is at/near the front of the grid, where he can score serious points each race. It requires a different attitude to running around at the back in the Williams, enjoying a few moments in the Q2 spotlight. It's the difference between being a contender and an also-ran.
Does it mean he can't keep his character anymore and not have fun around?
Hakuna Matata!

Just_a_fan

chrisc90 wrote:
02 Jul 2022, 17:32
Just_a_fan wrote:
02 Jul 2022, 17:29
chrisc90 wrote:

Points are scored on the track not off the track though. Max has kept his 'style' whilst still getting serious points each race.
Maybe Lando is just upset that George doesn't play X-box (or whatever) with him anymore. :lol:

Maybe Lando is just worried that George will eclipse him in their respective careers and is having a dig to make him feel better. Stranger things have happened between drivers.

Not sure whether they were timing it to be amongst the last across the line or whether it was because of yellows, but seems they were told to back off instead of continuing steady progress and lost momentum.

ringo

wogx wrote:

It's not surprising. Russel has to focus on his job. I do not blame him. Right now he cannot relax; he has to be on his A game, and for him maybe the kid's games are over and the focus is on staying ahead of Hamilton.
For Sure!!

GrizzleBoy

Norris has shown signs here and there of being a bit of a dick sometimes and I think this is one of those times.

George has been the "businessman" type driver with the PR heavy interview style since he joined Williams.

Only breaking character after crashing with Bottas last year.

He's just more in the spotlight now and more people have more interest in hearing him talk.

Between this needless criticism and his moody disrespectful response to being asked about Lewis becoming a 7x wdc in 2020, I'm seeing a side of Lando that's a bit sshitty and ironically I'm sure hes had just as much PR training.
Last edited by GrizzleBoy on 02 Jul 2022, 22:36, edited 1 time in total.

pursue_one's