2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
ab_f1

Re: 2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

George is new to a team with existing settled team mate. Norris is settled with a team mate still trying to find his way in his "new" team.
Anyone changing employer would know it takes significant effort.

adrianjordan

And all of this that we see is through the lens of what the media show us.....

For all we know, George is the life of the party in private, certainly seemed to be having fun with Herbert in that segment for SkyF1, meanwhile Lando is secretly a PowerPoint junky lol
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

ringo

pursue_one's wrote:
02 Jul 2022, 23:11
Hmm could he really have qualified in the top 3?
I think he was exceptional in the rain today. The car had threatening pace. His chances of being top 3 tomorrow will have evaporated with the rain.
For Sure!!

torpor

Anybody knows what’s going on with the wheel covers of the W13 in Silverstone. Just seen them siri g movement and couldn’t see what’s written on them, There is also nowhere a story or statement about them.

Does anyone of you has a photo with these covers? in standstill?

mstar

GrizzleBoy wrote:
02 Jul 2022, 22:30
Norris has shown signs here and there of being a bit of a dick sometimes and I think this is one of those times.

George has been the "businessman" type driver with the PR heavy interview style since he joined Williams.

Only breaking character after crashing with Bottas last year.

He's just more in the spotlight now and more people have more interest in hearing him talk.

Between this needless criticism and his moody disrespectful response to being asked about Lewis becoming a 7x wdc in 2020, I'm seeing a side of Lando that's a bit sshitty and ironically I'm sure hes had just as much PR training.
I can summerise all you said about George simply. He is what we call a "yes" / PR man. He seems to have the same phases at the start of the weekend and reels them off throughout the weekend. i agree with Norris, now he doesn;t speak his mind and is more concerned with running the corporate line. He is starting to become annoying. Thats why we call him George "Thunderbirds" Russell. :D

mstar

ringo wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 05:51
pursue_one's wrote:
02 Jul 2022, 23:11
Hmm could he really have qualified in the top 3?
I think he was exceptional in the rain today. The car had threatening pace. His chances of being top 3 tomorrow will have evaporated with the rain.
Well lucky for lewis there isnt a lot of braking points so he probably lost some time how much we never know.

GrizzleBoy

mstar wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 09:15
GrizzleBoy wrote:
Norris has shown signs here and there of being a bit of a dick sometimes and I think this is one of those times.

George has been the "businessman" type driver with the PR heavy interview style since he joined Williams.

He's just more in the spotlight now and more people have more interest in hearing him talk.

Between this needless criticism and his moody disrespectful response to being asked about Lewis becoming a 7x wdc in 2020, I'm seeing a side of Lando that's a bit sshitty and ironically I'm sure hes had just as much PR training.
I can summerise all you said about George simply. He is what we call a "yes" / PR man. He seems to have the same phases at the start of the weekend and reels them off throughout the weekend. i agree with Norris, now he doesn;t speak his mind and is more concerned with running the corporate line. He is starting to become annoying. Thats why we call him George "Thunderbirds" Russell. :D
My point is that this has been George possibly since before he even joined Williams.

The man wore a suit and tie to meet Merc bosses and showed them a flipping PowerPoint presentation of why he thinks they should sign him.

This is George. Its always been George.

People jumping on this "PR George" thing just haven't really been paying attention imo.

erudite450

GrizzleBoy wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 09:23
mstar wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 09:15
GrizzleBoy wrote:

My point is that this has been George possibly since before he even joined Williams.

The man wore a suit and tie to meet Merc bosses and showed them a flipping PowerPoint presentation of why he thinks they should sign him.

This is George. Its always been George.

People jumping on this "PR George" thing just haven't really been paying attention imo.
Why did it take this long for someone to point this out? From the outside, that's the way he's been since he came into F1.

erudite450

Hamilton has the pace to hang onto Leclerc and Verstappen but he needs a good first lap. He's not one for big moves at the start but he might need to take a risk or two this afternoon against the championship contenders to give himself a chance of a great race.

chrisc90

erudite450 wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 10:26
Hamilton has the pace to hang onto Leclerc and Verstappen but he needs a good first lap. He's not one for big moves at the start but he might need to take a risk or two this afternoon against the championship contenders to give himself a chance of a great race.
Has the W13 really got that much pace? I think the bouncing might hamper them (and Ferrari) through the hide speed sections. Be interesting to see how they react with a full tank of juice in.

Gillian

PlatinumZealot wrote:
02 Jul 2022, 17:20
chrisc90 wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 19:59
I, and a couple others, said similar a while back that George isnt being George since he joined Mercedes. Shame really. However I think thats the way the Mercedes team operates on race weekends. Always seems a lot more formal, than the other teams,
Not true. Ron Dennis' McLaren and Ferrari today are way more formal than the current Mercedes where Bottas and Lewis was up to all sorts of shennanigans, and Mercedes PR people littering twitter with meme posts galore. I believe George is just more serious because he has a bigger job on his hands now.
For sure! Hamilton has been saying himself that since joining Mercedes he got more room to be himself. McLaren back then was extremely formal and strict, way more than Mercedes ever was in the new era.

Not seeing large differences in Russell's behaviour since he joined Mercedes. He was always very formal and PR savvy. It's like you say, He's needing to work a little harder now maybe and he's more in the spotlight. The same thing happened with Rosberg when Hamilton joined. Not really a big change of behaviour, just having to work harder.

Not sure why any of that is unexpected either... He's going from racing a subpar talent at the back of the grid to fighting a 7 time WC at the front.

adrianjordan

torpor wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 08:42
Anybody knows what’s going on with the wheel covers of the W13 in Silverstone. Just seen them siri g movement and couldn’t see what’s written on them, There is also nowhere a story or statement about them.

Does anyone of you has a photo with these covers? in standstill?
Any photos yet?
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

f1jcw

The current regulations stipulate a maximum deflection of 2mm at the two middle plank holes and no more than 2mm at its rearmost hole in a bid to ensure that the floor is stiff enough.

However, there were claims some teams have managed to cleverly flex the floors by as much as 6mm in total, which would allow them to run with higher rake and much closer to the ground for increased performance without the risk of suffering the ill effects of ground strikes."
It is absurd that not only teams have being allowed to do this but are giving a couple of races to engineer compliance and get to keep results gained using illegal methods

PlatinumZealot

Those regs have always been about static deflection on a static car and with a given loading. The only way to tighten it up is to use a bigger load to do the test.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Sofa King

Mercedes is back, best race of the year