2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
shamyakovic
shamyakovic

Re: 2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

FrukostScones wrote:
10 Mar 2022, 13:31
this design with the crash structure makes a mockery of safety (think of Anthoine Huberts death).
if Mercedes gets away with this on a technicality (mirror supports) it would be a shame.
How is it a mockery of safety? when they have standard 2 side impact structures used by everyteam.. the sidepod is not part of the structural integrity of the 2 impact structures... and they have passed the FIA side impact test aswell.. so I don't know how u came to conclusion that its not safe?

PlatinumZealot

FrukostScones wrote:
this design with the crash structure makes a mockery of safety (think of Anthoine Huberts death).
if Mercedes gets away with this on a technicality (mirror supports) it would be a shame.
it is not only against the spirit of the but against everything the new side pod crash rules were brought in. This mirror support will sheer off much easily than an standard incorporated design,
I think the crash structure around the cockpit should reglements to be connetced vertically in certain dimesion and not like this on the Mercedes an partially other cars.
Dont get me wrong, I think the Merc design looks awesome!
How different is it from all the cars of previous years though?

🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

SiLo

PlatinumZealot wrote:
10 Mar 2022, 15:21
FrukostScones wrote:
it is not only against the spirit of the but against everything the new side pod crash rules were brought in. This mirror support will sheer off much easily than an standard incorporated design,
I think the crash structure around the cockpit should reglements to be connetced vertically in certain dimesion and not like this on the Mercedes an partially other cars.

https://imgr1.auto-motor-und-sport.de/R ... 768794.jpg
It isn't, let's just ignore this dumb take on safety and move on.
Felipe Baby!

FrukostScones

SiLo wrote:
10 Mar 2022, 15:29
PlatinumZealot wrote:
FrukostScones wrote:

they wanted to make the cars safer this year (to avoid tragedy like Anthoine Hubert repeating).
Some teams are circumfencing this with Mercedes to the extreme. FIA should have made clear in the reags that the crash structure must be connected to avoid design like this. I m sure we will see a rule change on this for next year.
calling this take on safety dumb, is for me not comprehensibly. Sorry.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

SiLo

FrukostScones wrote:
10 Mar 2022, 15:51
SiLo wrote:
10 Mar 2022, 15:29
PlatinumZealot wrote:

they wanted to make the cars safer this year (to avoid tragedy like Anthoine Hubert repeating).
Some teams are circumfencing this with Mercedes to the extreme. FIA should have made clear in the reags that the crash structure must be connected to avoid design like this. I m sure we will see a rule change on this for next year.
The Mercedes sidepods meet the crash regulations (which are extensive) set by the FIA. There is literally nothing to discuss about this.

Now if you believe the FIA regs are not strong enough, then we can discuss what they could do to improve them, probably in it's own thread.

The bits between the SIPs are not strong, so there is almost zero different if there is just air there or some flimsy pieces of carbon fibre covering the entrance to the radiator inlet.
Felipe Baby!

Shakeman

Exactly how is Mercedes impact structure reducing safety? Hubert's death was caused by 'un-survivable trauma' caused by an impact of over 80G IIRC. The side impact structure would do little in this situation.

I think you're just trying to make excuses, like Horner will, because Merc have found a loophole and are exploiting it. This is good for F1.

SiLo

FrukostScones wrote:
10 Mar 2022, 16:06
SiLo wrote:
10 Mar 2022, 15:55
FrukostScones wrote:
10 Mar 2022, 15:51

The Mercedes sidepods meet the crash regulations (which are extensive) set by the FIA. There is literally nothing to discuss about this.

Now if you believe the FIA regs are not strong enough, then we can discuss what they could do to improve them, probably in it's own thread.

The bits between the SIPs are not strong, so there is almost zero different if there is just air there or some flimsy pieces of carbon fibre covering the entrance to the radiator inlet.
thank you Jo Bauer.
No need to be a dick about it.
Felipe Baby!

fritticaldi

The Merc mirrors act like a third wing . Merc has parts sprouting from everywhere like recreating their bargeboards.

JordanFiveOh
JordanFiveOh

Right, it is no different than the FE cars from a few years ago.

Shakeman

fritticaldi wrote:
10 Mar 2022, 16:12
The Merc mirrors act like a third wing . Merc has parts sprouting from everywhere like recreating their bargeboards.
I think you'll find the RB to start sprouting strakes and winglets tomorrow. They've obviously found loopholes to exploit which is what we want, right?

Jolle
Jolle

FrukostScones wrote:
?
All cars have none structural sidepod, mostly air ducting and flimsy thin carbon, noting to help with a crash, except two big standerd carbon crash structure tubes that are directly mounted on the tub (and won’t touch anything within the sidepod). There is or will be no difference in crash performance between, let’s say the Ferrari with the bulky sidepod or the AMG.

PlatinumZealot

JordanFiveOh wrote:
10 Mar 2022, 16:13

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202203 ... f2a36f.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202203 ... d2122e.jpg
Beautiful post! =D>
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

FrukostScones

PlatinumZealot wrote:
10 Mar 2022, 16:30
JordanFiveOh wrote:
10 Mar 2022, 16:13

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202203 ... f2a36f.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202203 ... d2122e.jpg
Beautiful post! =D>
FE cars have there own set of regulations within FIA and everyone can see that these would sheer off in heartbeat at the wrong angle of impact.

FrukostScones

Jolle wrote:
10 Mar 2022, 16:21
FrukostScones wrote:
?
All cars have none structural sidepod, mostly air ducting and flimsy thin carbon, noting to help with a crash, except two big standerd carbon crash structure tubes that are directly mounted on the tub (and won’t touch anything within the sidepod). There is or will be no difference in crash performance between, let’s say the Ferrari with the bulky sidepod or the AMG.
please guys, I got your point. I tend to differ a bit. And unless you have professionell knowledge, experience and insight with this topic or cloesely related topics please refrain from dragging this further.

dans79

FrukostScones wrote:
10 Mar 2022, 16:39
Jolle wrote:
10 Mar 2022, 16:21
FrukostScones wrote:
?
please guys, I got your point. I tend to differ a bit. And unless you have professionell knowledge, experience and insight with this topic or cloesely related topics please refrain from dragging this further.
You don't want people to debate an opposing opinion in a forum?
197 104 103 7