2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Shakeman

Re: 2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

FrukostScones wrote:
10 Mar 2022, 16:39

please guys, I got your point. I tend to differ a bit. And unless you have professionell knowledge, experience and insight with this topic or cloesely related topics please refrain from dragging this further.
What's your professional knowledge, experience and insight with this topic for the record?

AeroDynamic

FrukostScones wrote:
Jolle wrote:
10 Mar 2022, 16:21
FrukostScones wrote:
10 Mar 2022, 13:31
this design with the crash structure makes a mockery of safety (think of Anthoine Huberts death).
if Mercedes gets away with this on a technicality (mirror supports) it would be a shame.
it is not only against the spirit of the but against everything the new side pod crash rules were brought in. This mirror support will sheer off much easily than an standard incorporated design,
I think the crash structure around the cockpit should reglements to be connetced vertically in certain dimesion and not like this on the Mercedes an partially other cars.
Dont get me wrong, I think the Merc design looks awesome!
?
All cars have none structural sidepod, mostly air ducting and flimsy thin carbon, noting to help with a crash, except two big standerd carbon crash structure tubes that are directly mounted on the tub (and won’t touch anything within the sidepod). There is or will be no difference in crash performance between, let’s say the Ferrari with the bulky sidepod or the AMG.
please guys, I got your point. I tend to differ a bit. And unless you have professionell knowledge, experience and insight with this topic or cloesely related topics please refrain from dragging this further.
Well apparently you know better than a team of thousands spread across Mercedes and the FIA and we have to listen to your opinion. If you can't handle disagreement pieces on your views from your couch, then I suggest you don't share them on a Internet forum.

RZS10

adrianjordan wrote:
10 Mar 2022, 12:31
RZS10 wrote:
10 Mar 2022, 10:22
Wonder if they will paint the pinstripe on the front wheel deflectors red/yellow for the two drivers ... it was red in Barcelona and is the same yellow as the t cam now.
That would be a great way to tell the drivers apart at a glance.
Looks like it is the case ...
Lewis neon yellow stripe, t cam and outline
George red stripes, black t cam and blue outline

PlatinumZealot

FrukostScones wrote:
10 Mar 2022, 16:38
PlatinumZealot wrote:
10 Mar 2022, 16:30
JordanFiveOh wrote:
10 Mar 2022, 16:13
Right, it is no different than the FE cars from a few years ago.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202203 ... f2a36f.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202203 ... d2122e.jpg
Beautiful post! =D>
FE cars have there own set of regulations within FIA and everyone can see that these would sheer off in heartbeat at the wrong angle of impact.
In F1, the cars are tested bare like this. The thin sheet of carbon fire bodywork - which has poor impact resistance by the way - makes no material difference to the crash worthyness of the structures.

If you mean the SIS could poke someone's eye out... Mmyeah.. But in what situations? Maybe if the car rolls into the crowd somehow or rolls on top of another car, with the structure poking through the Halo... But this will also happen with a regular side pod too because as I said its just thin carbon fibre covering the structure, it will get ripped away upon impact.

We can again look back at the cars last year and see these basically bare structures are just as exposed. You made a good reason that you did not like them from the begining. Nothing wrong with that opinion, but it seems that this year, because the big contrast of the structures against the slim side pods on the Mercedes specifically is why you protest so much now.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

zibby43
zibby43

I disagree with the choice of words, but the telemetry speaks for itself.

LM10
LM10

zibby43 wrote:
10 Mar 2022, 23:10
https://twitter.com/hotlapmode/status/1 ... 06402?s=21

Don’t want to sound rude in any way, but such telemetry from pre season testing makes absolutely zero sense as there are numerous variables as we all know. The lap times were several seconds away from potential pole lap times.

zibby43
zibby43

LM10 wrote:
11 Mar 2022, 01:48
zibby43 wrote:

Don’t want to sound rude in any way, but such telemetry from pre season testing makes absolutely zero sense as there are numerous variables as we all know. The lap times were several seconds away from potential pole lap times.
Not rude, but it makes plenty of sense. Simply put, it pretty clearly demonstrates one thing: Mercedes were running less power than Ferrari.

That’s it.

dialtone
dialtone

zibby43 wrote:
11 Mar 2022, 03:34
LM10 wrote:
11 Mar 2022, 01:48
zibby43 wrote:

Not rude, but it makes plenty of sense. Simply put, it pretty clearly demonstrates one thing: Mercedes were running less power than Ferrari.

That’s it.
The jagged lines to me demonstrate that the driver was jumping around the car and was forced to lift. Without knowing the rpm it's quite tough to know anything and even after knowing the rpm there's a ton of other stuff you don't know like how draggy each car is or what wing profile they chose to run with...

e30ernest
e30ernest

Hehe I guess I was wrong to doubt the Mercs will bring something huge this test. Love seeing all the innovations across the teams this year.

dialtone
dialtone

Just used fastf1 to create the RPM graph of the corresponding speed graph above and Ferrari RPM is lower overall.

Doesn't look to me like Ferrari is running higher engine mode.

zibby43
zibby43

dialtone wrote:
11 Mar 2022, 05:09
Just used fastf1 to create the RPM graph of the corresponding speed graph above and Ferrari RPM is lower overall.

https://i.imgur.com/OtuJznv.png

You just used LEC and HAM.

I was using RUS and SAI.

dans79

dialtone wrote:

RPMs mean nothing because the temas can run whatever ratios they choose to. And they will, because they will choose ratios that best compliment their PU and aero philosophies.
197 104 103 7

dialtone
dialtone

zibby43 wrote:
11 Mar 2022, 05:40
dialtone wrote:

You just used LEC and HAM.

I was using RUS and SAI.
You are correct, I messed up the selection of the driver, overall though LEC was still 2 secs faster than HAM so it's still a somewhat equivalent comparison in similar conditions since they both ran in the morning.

cheeRS
cheeRS

FrukostScones wrote:
Jolle wrote:
10 Mar 2022, 16:21
FrukostScones wrote:
10 Mar 2022, 13:31
this design with the crash structure makes a mockery of safety (think of Anthoine Huberts death).
if Mercedes gets away with this on a technicality (mirror supports) it would be a shame.
it is not only against the spirit of the but against everything the new side pod crash rules were brought in. This mirror support will sheer off much easily than an standard incorporated design,
I think the crash structure around the cockpit should reglements to be connetced vertically in certain dimesion and not like this on the Mercedes an partially other cars.
Dont get me wrong, I think the Merc design looks awesome!
?
All cars have none structural sidepod, mostly air ducting and flimsy thin carbon, noting to help with a crash, except two big standerd carbon crash structure tubes that are directly mounted on the tub (and won’t touch anything within the sidepod). There is or will be no difference in crash performance between, let’s say the Ferrari with the bulky sidepod or the AMG.
Look, Horner made a... errrm... "unofficial" comment in the same vein as yours. After realizing how stupid it was, Red Bull tried to retract his statement. You are in a quite similar position. It would be best to retract yours.
🤭 wrote:
“Being the 'most successful statistically' has nothing to do with being the 'best'. neither when it comes to the cars, nor when it comes to the drivers” 😂

dialtone
dialtone

dans79 wrote:
11 Mar 2022, 05:53
dialtone wrote:

RPMs mean nothing because the temas can run whatever ratios they choose to. And they will, because they will choose ratios that best compliment their PU and aero philosophies.
Yeah I don't think it says much more than speed, I just posted it to show that the Ferrari engine wasn't going in quali mode. Lots of stuff, like gear ratios, influence the overall final result and Merc was running slightly shorter gears.

https://twitter.com/RacingTelemetry/sta ... uzIVEbRaXw

So overall it seems they both had the engine tuned about the same.