2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Ryar

Re: 2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Henri wrote:
25 Jan 2022, 18:12
SmallSoldier wrote:
25 Jan 2022, 16:59
Henri wrote:
25 Jan 2022, 13:54

Ofcouse it does he's bias is showing clearly
Bias towards what exactly? He didn’t say anything derogatory or negative… He had an opinion (a very harmless one), there is nothing wrong with that regardless of which team he roots for.

I tend to agree with him, James is not only a great communicator, he has a similar demeanor in most of these videos / interviews… The one line that caught my attention was “One or two cars on the grid will have got it really wrong, I would imagine. And they will have a painful year.”… Without having a single car hit the track yet, it’s impossible to know where anyone seats in the pecking order, the trickiest part this season for the teams is setting performance targets for the new cars… Is been one second faster than 2021’s cars a sign that you have a great car under you? What if the rest of the grid is 2 seconds faster?…
I trust allison more because he's one of the great car designers ever.. not that guy
Do you even know that Mercedes' chief designer is John Owens, not Allison? Allison has never led a complete car design and development that has won a championship. He has been part of Mercedes' winning team.
Hakuna Matata!

Jolle
Jolle

Ryar wrote:
25 Jan 2022, 19:10
Henri wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

Bias towards what exactly? He didn’t say anything derogatory or negative… He had an opinion (a very harmless one), there is nothing wrong with that regardless of which team he roots for.

I tend to agree with him, James is not only a great communicator, he has a similar demeanor in most of these videos / interviews… The one line that caught my attention was “One or two cars on the grid will have got it really wrong, I would imagine. And they will have a painful year.”… Without having a single car hit the track yet, it’s impossible to know where anyone seats in the pecking order, the trickiest part this season for the teams is setting performance targets for the new cars… Is been one second faster than 2021’s cars a sign that you have a great car under you? What if the rest of the grid is 2 seconds faster?…
I trust allison more because he's one of the great car designers ever.. not that guy
Do you even know that Mercedes' chief designer is John Owens, not Allison? Allison has never led a complete car design and development that has won a championship. He has been part of Mercedes' winning team.
And Benneton’s, Ferrari’s and Renault’s. He’s got one of the longest lists of champion winning cars where he had influence on as a lead designer in one of the important areas.

LM10
LM10

basti313 wrote:
25 Jan 2022, 18:55
SmallSoldier wrote:
The one line that caught my attention was “One or two cars on the grid will have got it really wrong, I would imagine. And they will have a painful year.”… Without having a single car hit the track yet, it’s impossible to know where anyone seats in the pecking order, the trickiest part this season for the teams is setting performance targets for the new cars… Is been one second faster than 2021’s cars a sign that you have a great car under you? What if the rest of the grid is 2 seconds faster?…
I think it is wrong to assume they know nothing. The teams are sending rule questions to the FIA and the FIA is answering them. From these clarifications the teams can certainly see if another team took route A or route B in different concepts and a highly number driven development as at Merc has certainly looked into every detail to say route B is 0.x seconds slower than route A.
So the comment of Allison is certainly not just hot air.
So you're saying Mercedes have looked at and simulated every possible concept to such an extent they are like a governing body now and can say by a simple question for the purpose of clarification, if a team has got it wrong? :) Which at the same time automatically means that Mercedes must have built the fastest car.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Henri wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
Henri wrote:
25 Jan 2022, 13:54

Ofcouse it does he's bias is showing clearly

I agree, I would trust James too… But at no point did James made any statements in regards to their 2022 car… You made a comment that his smile implied they had a beast of a car, Juzh made a comment that James always smiles and that in itself wasn’t any indication of how good (or bad) their car was… You are creating an argument/fight where there isn’t one.

I can see that you are fairly new to the forum… Please help all of us maintain the level of the forum, debate his argument if you must/want, but there is no need to make it about which team someone roots for… I’ll leave it there… Have a good day!

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

basti313 wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
The one line that caught my attention was “One or two cars on the grid will have got it really wrong, I would imagine. And they will have a painful year.”… Without having a single car hit the track yet, it’s impossible to know where anyone seats in the pecking order, the trickiest part this season for the teams is setting performance targets for the new cars… Is been one second faster than 2021’s cars a sign that you have a great car under you? What if the rest of the grid is 2 seconds faster?…
I think it is wrong to assume they know nothing. The teams are sending rule questions to the FIA and the FIA is answering them. From these clarifications the teams can certainly see if another team took route A or route B in different concepts and a highly number driven development as at Merc has certainly looked into every detail to say route B is 0.x seconds slower than route A.
When the team asks for clarification, the FIA doesn’t share that information with the rest of the teams… That’s how DAS wasn’t known by anyone on the grid even though Mercedes asked for several clarifications in regards to the system… Only if a question from a team creates a Technical Directive, would other teams be aware of what someone may have been working on (and even then, you wouldn’t know which team was asking).

Allison’s comment is the same one everyone has made since the new rules were discussed (and what history has showed us repeatedly), every time there are rule changes, 1 or 2 teams get it right, a couple get it wrong and everyone else is kind of in the middle… This isn’t groundbreaking, nor is because of Mercedes knowing what other teams are doing, it’s the nature of a new set of rules.

Jolle
Jolle

LM10 wrote:
25 Jan 2022, 19:25
basti313 wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
So you're saying Mercedes have looked at and simulated every possible concept to such an extent they are like a governing body now and can say by a simple question for the purpose of clarification, if a team has got it wrong? :) Which at the same time automatically means that Mercedes must have built the fastest car.
Allison just knows his history. Every big regulation change there are teams who just get it very wrong. Or have we all forgotten, for instance, the 2009 McLaren? Who had to fit a 2008 wing on it just to not crash?

Scalexf1
Scalexf1

SmallSoldier wrote:
25 Jan 2022, 19:32
basti313 wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
When the team asks for clarification, the FIA doesn’t share that information with the rest of the teams… That’s how DAS wasn’t known by anyone on the grid even though Mercedes asked for several clarifications in regards to the system… Only if a question from a team creates a Technical Directive, would other teams be aware of what someone may have been working on (and even then, you wouldn’t know which team was asking).

Allison’s comment is the same one everyone has made since the new rules were discussed (and what history has showed us repeatedly), every time there are rule changes, 1 or 2 teams get it right, a couple get it wrong and everyone else is kind of in the middle… This isn’t groundbreaking, nor is because of Mercedes knowing what other teams are doing, it’s the nature of a new set of rules.
Agreed, and everyone is also confident they have made the correct choices with their car, how can they not be!
We will see come March who is fielding what appears in the beginning of the year to be the correct concept.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Ryar wrote:
Henri wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

Allison is the Chief Technical Director. The same post that Newey holds in Red Bull. Allison held that post at other teams too.

Allison held that post at other teams when they were successful. If we're saying that isn't leading the complete car design, then neither does Newey. Shall we revise Newey's list of successful cars too?
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

basti313
basti313

SmallSoldier wrote:
basti313 wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

As far as I know this is changed, all answers are public among the teams.

And I do not agree on the getting it wrong part. If we look at the last rule changes....the order was 90 % the same as the year before. Except for Brawn there were nearly no "jumps" in aero. One might see McLaren as an example, but if you look precisely you can see they were falling apart even before the 2014 rules.

At least we have something we usually not get in tech discussions here: This discussion is solved in two months.
Don`t russel the hamster!

Scalexf1
Scalexf1

I would also be confident if I witnessed my team perform a minor miracle and turn around a car that was pretty difficult to drive, and clearly going to be in trouble over the course of the season at the beginning of the year.
Hats off to the whole team, as they showed a depth of engineering and resolve that clearly separates them from other teams who were also in trouble with the 2021 floor regs.

Jolle
Jolle

basti313 wrote:
25 Jan 2022, 19:54
SmallSoldier wrote:
basti313 wrote:

As far as I know this is changed, all answers are public among the teams.

And I do not agree on the getting it wrong part. If we look at the last rule changes....the order was 90 % the same as the year before. Except for Brawn there were nearly no "jumps" in aero. One might see McLaren as an example, but if you look precisely you can see they were falling apart even before the 2014 rules.

At least we have something we usually not get in tech discussions here: This discussion is solved in two months.
The questions teams ask to the FIA are not public for the teams. A good example of this is DAS, which was checked and tweaked with the FIA. Teams can also request a “clarification of the rules” where they mostly come up with hypotheticals which they think other teams are doing. These are made public.

And taking 2009 as an example, it wasn’t just McLaren but Ferrari went from champion to winning one race. Sauber went from contenders to midfield/back markers. Redbull went the other way, from the back to where they are now. Even if you would take Brawn away, the field was significantly different then in 2008.

AeroDynamic

Just_a_fan wrote:
25 Jan 2022, 19:50
Ryar wrote:
Henri wrote:

Allison is the Chief Technical Director. The same post that Newey holds in Red Bull. Allison held that post at other teams too.

Allison held that post at other teams when they were successful. If we're saying that isn't leading the complete car design, then neither does Newey. Shall we revise Newey's list of successful cars too?

I don’t know about Allison being a great designer or not, or what nuances his role makes the most difference in, but he does many things right given his success in that role. =D>
Last edited by CMSMJ1 on 26 Jan 2022, 13:25, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: image URL

Ryar

Just_a_fan wrote:
Ryar wrote:
Henri wrote:

First things first. You should allow the original poster to express his understanding, unless you are in contract with all the Mercedes/Hamilton supporters that you will jump in for them. :D You do this almost every single time.

Tell me one car Allison has worked as a designer that won a championship.
Last edited by Ryar on 26 Jan 2022, 06:39, edited 1 time in total.
Hakuna Matata!

Ryar

Jolle wrote:
25 Jan 2022, 19:15
Ryar wrote:
Henri wrote:

And Benneton’s, Ferrari’s and Renault’s. He’s got one of the longest lists of champion winning cars where he had influence on as a lead designer in one of the important areas.
Last I know, Rory Byrne was the designer at Benetton and Ferrari. As a junior in the ranks, like a hundred others, may be yeah. Bob Bell and Dino Toso were the key guys in Renault winning years. If being part of a winning group is an achievement, then he deserves credit.
Look at his time at Ferrari as a TD in Alonso/Vettel years. In his own words in an interview, Brawn didn't even know him while he was at Benetton and Ferrari. Allison is a good engineer, at least verbally, but he was never a successful designer of a wining car. I really like him for his oratory skills as an engineer. Very likeable and appears humble like most engineers at Mercedes.
Hakuna Matata!

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Ryar wrote:
26 Jan 2022, 06:35
Just_a_fan wrote:
Ryar wrote:

First things first. You should allow the original poster to express his understanding, unless you are in contract with all the Mercedes/Hamilton supporters that you will jump in for them. :D You do this almost every single time.

Tell me one car Allison has worked as a designer that won a championship.
Ignoring your usual personal attack, Allison had a senior role in all of the following:

2000 – Ferrari F1-2000
2001 – Ferrari F2001
2002 – Ferrari F2002
2003 – Ferrari F2003-GA
2004 – Ferrari F2004
2005 – Renault R25
2006 – Renault R26
2018 – Mercedes AMG F1 W09 EQ Power+
2019 – Mercedes AMG F1 W10 EQ Power+
2020 – Mercedes-AMG F1 W11 EQ Performance
2021 – Mercedes-AMG F1 W12 E Performance

Now, you're going to say "he wasn't the chief designer" or similar. And I'll say, Newey wasn't chief designer on most of the cars that people claim he designed either.

Ultimately, all F1 cars are designed by large teams of people and no one person, not even the sainted Newey, can be said to be "the designer" of a modern F1 car.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.