2022 Oracle | Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
basti313
basti313

Re: 2022 Oracle | Red Bull Racing F1 Team

Rikhart wrote:
24 Apr 2022, 16:47
Did they just overhaul Ferrari pace-wise? Let's see if the reds can respond.
To me it looks like weight. The aero changes are small, Ferrari was stable like a rock on setups so far...all the change with this better tire management and simply higher pace comes in my point of view from the weight reduction.
So I also think this will be responded, Ferrari will reduce weight with the updates, Merc sounds to me like having a big weight reduction in their coming update that they bring as a package to save money (what Ham meant with "should have done")...
So it will now be a run for updates bringing down the weight to the limit. The real pace of the cars will be visible once they are on the limit.
Don`t russel the hamster!

organic

Flawless weekend. Car looked good and team was operationally solid. Checo with great pace as is typical of him now - what a lineup RB has here. Fantastic

Am interested to see how the RB18 looks at Miami compared to Ferrari. I'm wary that perhaps RB simply didn't struggle with graining and Ferrari did this weekend which caused the balance of power to appear to shift

Checo seemed to hint something about tyre wear before the race in terms of an upgrade/change and Max in post-race conference got a smile under his mask when talking about tyre wear so idk - maybe they have made a step forward in that department

Big Tea

basti313 wrote:
24 Apr 2022, 23:48
Rikhart wrote:
To me it looks like weight. The aero changes are small, Ferrari was stable like a rock on setups so far...all the change with this better tire management and simply higher pace comes in my point of view from the weight reduction.
So I also think this will be responded, Ferrari will reduce weight with the updates, Merc sounds to me like having a big weight reduction in their coming update that they bring as a package to save money (what Ham meant with "should have done")...
So it will now be a run for updates bringing down the weight to the limit. The real pace of the cars will be visible once they are on the limit.
Don't forget temperature too. Coldest race by quite some
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

etusch

basti313 wrote:
24 Apr 2022, 23:48
Rikhart wrote:
But heavier cars will gain more when they reach the min level.
I think it was bigger wings + cold weather + updates

vorticism

Is this year not proof that Red Bull are still top of the game in aero? Since 2009. And that Merc's success from 2014 was solely due to their engine (inb4 FRIC). A change in the aero regs and Merc are right back where they were in 2013. Coinciding with engines nearing parity, again an echo of 07-13.
𓄀

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Enrico Balbo, head of Aero for Red Bull is credited for the Imola aero upgrade.

Jambier

vorticism wrote:
26 Apr 2022, 00:47
Is this year not proof that Red Bull are still top of the game in aero? Since 2009. And that Merc's success from 2014 was solely due to their engine (inb4 FRIC). A change in the aero regs and Merc are right back where they were in 2013. Coinciding with engines nearing parity, again an echo of 07-13.
Let's see, Mercedes is in bad shape due mostly to porpoising.

But indeed, not having a dominant engine anymore is also a big part in my opinion

SiLo

Jambier wrote:
26 Apr 2022, 10:30
vorticism wrote:
26 Apr 2022, 00:47
Let's see, Mercedes is in bad shape due mostly to porpoising.

But indeed, not having a dominant engine anymore is also a big part in my opinion
This does a complete disservice to their aero department, and is just an easy scapegoat that people love to throw around.

RB have done a great job so far, and the drivers have made less mistakes than the Ferrari guys too which bodes well for when the pressure really gets on.
Felipe Baby!

Cassius
Cassius

AR3-GP wrote:
26 Apr 2022, 03:10
There was no significant upgrade, only a small wing on the tea-tray, which Ferrari already copied from AM during the first race.

It is more likely a better understanding of setup / tyres through data anlysis / simulator work combined with the weight reduction.

Wouter

Cassius wrote:
26 Apr 2022, 11:47
AR3-GP wrote:
There was no significant upgrade, only a small wing on the tea-tray, which Ferrari already copied from AM during the first race.

It is more likely a better understanding of setup / tyres through data anlysis / simulator work combined with the weight reduction.
It was, in fact, a significant update. "A new wing added to the Red Bull's keel."
"Details of Red Bull's front brake calliper."
This allowed the RB18 to finally cut corners sharply, which was previously not possible due to understeer.
Moreover, this made the car much more balanced. As a result, the tires also had less wear. All this according to Horner.
Max added that the car felt a bit lighter.
The Power of Dreams!

vorticism

Cassius wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

I agree, the pace we saw in Imola was probably down to less obvious visual changes.

--powertrain ancilliaries (the car did not break down)
--inboard suspension tuning or components
--weight reduction
𓄀

Datco
Datco

Really happy with the result at Imola. But just cautious ton say how effective the upgrades really are. Due to weather conditions and less practice time it's perhaps other teams namely Ferrari did not dail in the set up and RBR just did a better set up job. Or it could be that the upgrade made the RBR ess peaky and easier to set up. But for now Miami and the race after will really be able to confirm.

Wouter

Helmut Marko: 79 years of redefining expectations.

Not many could say that they’ve won Leman (while setting a distance record that would stand for 39 years), gotten a doctorate in law,
or played a significant role in nurturing the talent of 30% of the current F1 grid. Let alone all three.
This is something that Dr Helmut Marko has achieved, and as the Austrian turns 79 today,.... 🥳 🎉🍾🎂
we’ll have a look back at how it all has happened.
https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/109431/h ... tions.html

The Power of Dreams!

dxpetrov
dxpetrov

Wouter wrote:
26 Apr 2022, 12:38
Cassius wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

It was, in fact, a significant update. "A new wing added to the Red Bull's keel."
This allowed the RB18 to finally cut corners sharply, which was previously not possible due to understeer.
Moreover, this made the car much more balanced. As a result, the tires also had less wear. All this according to Horner.
That, ''in fact'', doesn't constitute a ''significant'' update. Team also confirmed, prior the race.

The only thing that could massively contribute to such an upturn in pace is a break-through in setup (which obviously was helped with lighter parts, and that ''massive'' aero update).

ispano6

dxpetrov wrote:
28 Apr 2022, 13:26
Wouter wrote:
26 Apr 2022, 12:38
Cassius wrote:

That, ''in fact'', doesn't constitute a ''significant'' update. Team also confirmed, prior the race.

The only thing that could massively contribute to such an upturn in pace is a break-through in setup (which obviously was helped with lighter parts, and that ''massive'' aero update).
Massive and significant aren't the same meaning are they. Even a slight change can have a significant impact such as overall balance which does affect tire wear. Probably what matters most is the sensor of the driver and gut feel and confidence in the car. The front wing used in Imola was introduced in Australia but not raced with by Verstappen, right? So if it was indeed raced for the first time in Imola, it was a pretty considerable change in configuration of the car from Australia, considering that some other parts in the rear brake duct were also changed.