2022 Oracle | Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Wouter

Re: 2022 Oracle | Red Bull Racing F1 Team

Finally Max his first pole in Mexico. It was Carlos Slim who gave it to him.

The Power of Dreams!

atanatizante

Could anybody provide some detailed pictures with RB18's underfloor after the summer break?

On other forum there are rumors saying that RB18 car:

1. Has some Gurney kinda flaps at the trailing egdes of the floor that are working in conjunction with the ones at the both sides of the central non-Venturi tunnels. This adds downforce due to their car's rake

2. Those trailing edges of the floor were both reinforced for stopping flexing at certain loads but also to lower the car's CG after they figure out how to shave some weight out of the car.

Maybe someone with better knowledge could deny or approve these roumours...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

Sieper

AR3-GP wrote:
30 Oct 2022, 04:20
Perez's issues (from the post qualifying reaction video on F1 youtube):

1) No laptime reference on dash
2) No DRS tone (so he had to manually decide when to engage it)
3) No brake bias readout (so he had couldn't adjust during the lap and didn't know where he was on it)

He could have definitely locked out the front row with Max without the car issues.
Oof that’s bad, he could have done much better without those issues. And two cars on front row would have left Max much less exposed. These first few corners will be so, so dangerous now.

west52keep64

1) would have been of little consequence, if anything it's mainly used to go slower when you know you already have a lot of time in hand i.e. take fewer risks.

2) would have cost him a very very small amount of time, there's still a visible DRS activation point.

3) is probably the biggest impact by far if true. Presumably without knowing what he was changing he just left it, so didn't get the benefit of being able to move the bias around over the lap. This used to be a mandated physical control in the cockpit, but I think the hybrid era has required it to become digital because it involves adjusting BBW (brake by wire).

organic

west52keep64 wrote:
30 Oct 2022, 20:30
1) would have been of little consequence, if anything it's mainly used to go slower when you know you already have a lot of time in hand i.e. take fewer risks.

2) would have cost him a very very small amount of time, there's still a visible DRS activation point.

3) is probably the biggest impact by far if true. Presumably without knowing what he was changing he just left it, so didn't get the benefit of being able to move the bias around over the lap. This used to be a mandated physical control in the cockpit, but I think the hybrid era has required it to become digital because it involves adjusting BBW (brake by wire).
He also did not have his own telemetry to look at in the garage as his car failed to transmit proper telemetry all of quali. So the usual process of finding marginal gains in quali was taken away

AeroDynamic

Perez says RBR develop their car to max with their upgrades and Max denies it. Seems like they want to tone down the numero uno status they clearly have going on in the team. I can see why Alonso said he wouldn't go to RBR.

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

AeroDynamic wrote:
30 Oct 2022, 21:14
Perez says RBR develop their car to max with their upgrades and Max denies it. Seems like they want to tone down the numero uno status they clearly have going on in the team. I can see why Alonso said he wouldn't go to RBR.
They don’t develop a car to just what max wants. They develop a car that can go quicker. It needs a particular quality driver to be able to extract those extra .1s. The likes of HAM/SCHU/ALO/LEC in recent years have been able to do exactly that. If you think a driver has THAT much influence over things then you’re very much mistaken.

<personal stuff deleted>

organic

AeroDynamic wrote:
Perez says that the car went away from him with recent upgrades. That doesn't mean they're developing the car deliberately towards or away from Verstappen:
“I haven’t been as comfortable with it [the development of the car] as I was in the beginning
“Well, it’s just going away from me in terms of how comfortable I was in the beginning,” he added.

“But saying that, I’ve had only two races [of this] and last weekend I wasn’t up to it, I was feeling pretty bad, so I think this is the first weekend where I will see really.”
You've converted 'I'm not as confident in the car after recent upgrades' to RB developing the car away from Perez and towards Max deliberately. A very understeery car is what RB had at the beginning of the season, claimed by themselves to be mostly caused by the car being overweight and not being able to move ballast around. As they dropped car weight, the balance got more neutral - quicker for a driver who does not require understeer to feel stable. Understeer is inherently slower than having a more neutral balance

It's your bias once again affecting your interpretation of reality
Last edited by organic on 30 Oct 2022, 21:24, edited 1 time in total.

AeroDynamic

organic wrote:
30 Oct 2022, 21:22
AeroDynamic wrote:
Perez says that the car went away from him with recent upgrades. That doesn't mean they're developing the car deliberately towards or away from Verstappen:
“I haven’t been as comfortable with it [the development of the car] as I was in the beginning
“Well, it’s just going away from me in terms of how comfortable I was in the beginning,” he added.

“But saying that, I’ve had only two races [of this] and last weekend I wasn’t up to it, I was feeling pretty bad, so I think this is the first weekend where I will see really.”
You've converted 'I'm not as confident in the car after recent upgrades [unlike Max]' to RB developing the car towards Max. It's your bias once again affecting your interpretation of reality
the interview that just aired in Mexico, he actually said more than those old quotes.

organic

AeroDynamic wrote:
30 Oct 2022, 21:24
organic wrote:
30 Oct 2022, 21:22
AeroDynamic wrote:

You've converted 'I'm not as confident in the car after recent upgrades [unlike Max]' to RB developing the car towards Max. It's your bias once again affecting your interpretation of reality
the interview that just aired in Mexico, he actually said more than those old quotes.
Can you post them?

The goalposts always move with you. Perez has an old specification of the car and is slow -> old spec is too slow. Perez is slow after he gets the new upgrade (generally one race later) -> car is being developed towards Max. Max is 37-4 ahead of Perez in qualifying over 2 seasons and beat Perez even when the car was the opposite of what Max looks for in a car. Just accept that he's either not as quick as you think or Max is quicker

Perez is someone that often makes excuses for his own performance. No racing driver who is meaningfully pursuing a championship can allow themselves to come to the conclusion that others are simply "better" than them. That's a losing mentality. Bottas having v2.0 is along the same lines. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Checo legitimately believes that he'd be better than Max if they developed the car for him more. Doesn't make him right in the slightest; if RB believed it as well, they'd do that! In football, lots of professional strikers believe they'd be as good as Ronaldo/Messi in the right team/system. It doesn't make them right
Last edited by organic on 30 Oct 2022, 21:30, edited 3 times in total.

ispano6

AeroDynamic wrote:
From The-Race:
And Red Bull team boss Christian Horner hinted that Perez’s Singapore performance could be down to a step in his understanding of the car, not just a circuit-specific boost.

“Checo has always been phenomenal on street circuits, he seems to like slippery street tracks,” said Horner.

“And we’ve been working hard with him on set-ups and so on. Hopefully this will now give him confidence for the remainder of the championship.”
Perez himself did say that Red Bull were developing the car to be the fastest it can be and that he needed to adjust to how the team was developing the car. Given what Max can get out of the car and beat the Ferrari's and Mercs, it seems Sergio understands this as well.

Big Tea

I would also assume that if they made him slower, Checo would not be forced to take these upgrades?
An upgrade which makes the driver slower is no use to anyone. Probability is he means Max has gained more from them than he has, not they have taken the car away from him and to Max.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

AeroDynamic

If you want to use Perez's own words to argue against what hes just said, its your prerogative. It has nothing to do with bias to acknowledge Checo's opinion. That smells of people wanting to put their head in the sand and protect their own belief.

Someone suggested earlier that a driver having much influence isn't realistic. My response was disproportionately deleted (the whole post actually) so I will make the point again in this one. If you think a driver cant have much influence in this team, you should remind yourself that MV was directing his teammates strategy over the radio to his own team. That is a lot of influence on the team to do what you say.

west52keep64

Perez definitely said the car had been developed more towards Max during the year. It was a pre-recorded interview on the Sky F1 in the build up to the race. I'll see if I can find a recording at some point.

EDIT: Not sure why this should be a surprise it anyone either, I think Perez is fully aware the team is built around Max as the number 1 driver.

Gillian
Gillian

When the car was overweight and understeering, Perez was still slower than Verstappen every race. When the car lost weight, Verstappen extracted the extra pace, where Perez didn't. Nothing more to it.