2022 Oracle | Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
PierreW
PierreW

Re: 2022 Oracle | Red Bull Racing F1 Team

Very good performance today.

The car is really good in every condition, when the other cars have obvious weakness in some tracks, the engineers really delivred a nearly flawless car in every possible conditions and tracks.

The strategy was also spot on and they did well to ignore Pirelli advices on 2 - stop, Max and Perez both successfully extended the live of their softs and kept their position against the Mercedes.

It may look a little more boring with little action on track and reduced overtaking, but the flawless execution of a strategy by the drivers in a well oiled car is a beatiful thing to witness in itself.

Congrats to Max, Checo and all the team. 2 GP to go.

ispano6

AeroDynamic wrote:
30 Oct 2022, 21:45
If you want to use Perez's own words to argue against what hes just said, its your prerogative. It has nothing to do with bias to acknowledge Checo's opinion. That smells of people wanting to put their head in the sand and protect their own belief.

Someone suggested earlier that a driver having much influence isn't realistic. My response was disproportionately deleted (the whole post actually) so I will make the point again in this one. If you think a driver cant have much influence in this team, you should remind yourself that MV was directing his teammates strategy over the radio to his own team. That is a lot of influence on the team to do what you say.
You are free to think whatever you like. All the while Max will continue to win in the car that the team has provided him. If Max isn't comfortable with the car then his team will set up his car differently. The drivers can also choose to set up the car differently and even use different wing levels. That's their choice. Max is able to set up his car to be faster because his feel and control of the car is on another level, and likely is his understanding of the tires.

organic

Not only did max win 14 times in a season, he's also got the most points in an F1 season. Less interesting since points systems have changed, and calendars have become longer. But still impressive nonetheless. 413 was previous record and he's now on 416

west52keep64

Q: Do you believe the car was engineered away from you, and towards Max?

Perez: I think probably yeah. You know there are times where some upgrades benefit you more or less, and goes in hand with your driving style. We've seen it with many other [Red Bull] drivers before, so I think the way we develop the car certainly went more in Max's direction. But it's something that as a team we managed to understand it well, and I really hope that together we can avoid these things happening [in the future].
The interview can be found here, the question starts at 3:09: https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/s ... -home-fans

Juzh

Gillian wrote:
30 Oct 2022, 23:35
When the car was overweight and understeering, Perez was still slower than Verstappen every race. When the car lost weight, Verstappen extracted the extra pace, where Perez didn't. Nothing more to it.
No, no, evil red bull purposely made the car bad on the rear just to screw Perez.

I wonder why we never heard all this nonsense with hamilton/bottas.

kediown

Singapore really haunts me still. Max could have got his 9th win in a row if there wasn't a mistake on the Redbull pitwall during qualifying. Amazing season for Redbull after the summer break. I'd love to see a proper fight between Redbull, Mercedes and Ferrari next season

organic

kediown wrote:
31 Oct 2022, 00:25
Singapore really haunts me still. Max could have got his 9th win in a row if there wasn't a mistake on the Redbull pitwall during qualifying. Amazing season for Redbull after the summer break. I'd love to see a proper fight between Redbull, Mercedes and Ferrari next season
Just shows how brilliant RB/Seb were at the end of 2013 that Max wasn't able to do it this season. That said he's still breaking records

Sieper

organic wrote:
31 Oct 2022, 00:27
kediown wrote:
Just shows how brilliant RB/Seb were at the end of 2013 that Max wasn't able to do it this season. That said he's still breaking records
Yeah, but it was the team that let him down, otherwise they would have done it together. Max put in 2 pole laps there. But we are experiencing a season that is just extraordinary =D> Can only be happy.

Gillian
Gillian

Juzh wrote:
31 Oct 2022, 00:08
Gillian wrote:
When the car was overweight and understeering, Perez was still slower than Verstappen every race. When the car lost weight, Verstappen extracted the extra pace, where Perez didn't. Nothing more to it.
No, no, evil red bull purposely made the car bad on the rear just to screw Perez.

:lol:

Gillian
Gillian

organic wrote:
31 Oct 2022, 00:27
kediown wrote:
That had a LOT to do with the tire change later in the season. Really great result by Vettel back then, but the pace deficit he enjoyed in the second half of 2013 to the other teams was a lot bigger than what Red Bull was right now. They had more margin for error back then.

AeroDynamic

Red Bull have done an amazing job on that pitwall. They always get it right and it allows a great driver like Max to maximise the material he has underneath him.

west52keep64

Gillian wrote:
31 Oct 2022, 01:03
Juzh wrote:
Gillian wrote:

west52keep64 wrote:
31 Oct 2022, 00:07

Perez: I think probably yeah. You know there are times where some upgrades benefit you more or less, and goes in hand with your driving style. We've seen it with many other [Red Bull] drivers before, so I think the way we develop the car certainly went more in Max's direction. But it's something that as a team we managed to understand it well, and I really hope that together we can avoid these things happening [in the future].
The interview can be found here, the question starts at 3:09: https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/s ... -home-fans
From the horse's mouth, so to speak.

Gillian
Gillian

west52keep64 wrote:
31 Oct 2022, 01:07
Gillian wrote:
Juzh wrote:

west52keep64 wrote:

What else is he going to say? "No the car is suited exactly to me but I still suck". :lol:

Fact is he had a car he liked perfectly, a car Verstappen was unhappy with, yet he still he got beat over a race distance substantially.

Funny this. With Hamilton the story is how he's such a great car developer, helping the team build a faster car. With Verstappen it's just the team building a car that suited to him and no one else. With Hamilton the narrative is he beats all his great team mates and with Verstappen it's he never has a great team mate and a car that's totally designed for just him.

Really interesting how that works. :lol:

Juzh

west52keep64 wrote:
Gillian wrote:
Juzh wrote:

west52keep64 wrote:

They developed the car in such a way that it now actually turns into corners, something it wasn't doing early on, aka they made the car faster. Amount of understeer rb18 had initially was comical really. What perez was expecting to happen is anyone's guess. We've seen what understeer did to ferrari in mexico. Sainz, who is not a top level driver and similar to perez, says car was great to drive but in the end it finished +1 minute behind the winner. Meanwhile leclerc who likes a car that is lose on the rear was saying car is awful, which is a much better reflection of reality.

west52keep64

Gillian wrote:
31 Oct 2022, 01:18
west52keep64 wrote:
west52keep64 wrote:

What else is he going to say? "No the car is suited exactly to me but I still suck". :lol:

Fact is he had a car he liked perfectly, a car Verstappen was unhappy with, yet he still he got beat over a race distance substantially.

Funny this. With Hamilton the story is how he's such a great car developer, helping the team build a faster car. With Verstappen it's just the team building a car that suited to him and no one else. With Hamilton the narrative is he beats all his great team mates and with Verstappen it's he never has a great team mate and a car that's totally designed for just him.

Really interesting how that works. :lol:
I've shared a quote and an interview from Perez himself. I didn't mention Hamilton, neither did Perez. I don't think anyone said any of the other stuff you said. So I guess that's just your narrative then?
Juzh wrote:
31 Oct 2022, 01:26
They developed the car in such a way that it now actually turns into corners, something it wasn't doing early on, aka they made the car faster. Amount of understeer rb18 had initially was comical really. What perez was expecting to happen is anyone's guess. We've seen what understeer did to ferrari in mexico. Sainz, who is not a top level driver and similar to perez, says car was great to drive but in the end it finished +1 minute behind the winner. Meanwhile leclerc who likes a car that is lose on the rear was saying car is awful, which is a much better reflection of reality.
I doubt anyone of us will ever know how they've developed the car, but Perez obviously has his thoughts and he decided to voice them to the media. I'd recommend watching the whole interview as there are some other interesting comments.