2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
aleks_ader

Re: 2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Trick is Ferrari wasnt faster than merc today.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

Schumalonso
Schumalonso

F1NAC wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 18:33
It is so hard to be a Ferrari fan...

My god... they still lack some clinical decisions to be in contender for WDC...

First stint with Sainz vs Leclerc was so painful to watch..

Sainz got massively lucky today, and can thank Leclerc who kept Hamilton behind

I
I couldn’t agree more, although they won this one, it feels like they are snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. It makes it so hard to be a fan, and I love Ferrari so much.

Schuttelberg

https://www.planetf1.com/news/mattia-bi ... lverstone/

This is hilarious!

What he is saying is that they were intentionally trying to screw Carlos and give Charles the correct strategy but the opposite happened????

Is this man for real?

The bottomline is that they don't have the conviction or confidence in their own decisions so they split the calls so that they could at least not totally lose the GP. This is not a championship team's mentality.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

aleks_ader

It was not clear that softs will not fall apart.... Thing is they had no pure pace and hence mix call was in order.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

organic

I do not understand the pit calling at all. As usual from Ferrari. Not decisive or brave under pressure and they look weak

Great by Sainz and glad he's got the first victory under his belt (and pole!). Should bolster his confidence. Seems he wasn't a match for Verstappen or leclerc though in a normal race, as usual

Big Tea

McL-H wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 21:17
taperoo2k wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 20:32
McL-H wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 20:24
Does anyone have picture of Binotto pointing his finger at Leclerc?
Thanks
Binotto said on Sky later (I think Ted) that he was telling him not to concern himself on the negative but to concentrate on the positives of the race. It looks like a dressing down to me though

Edit he is talking to Chandok here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swF48PFWo7M
Last edited by Big Tea on 03 Jul 2022, 22:12, edited 2 times in total.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

dialtone
dialtone

Peter Ian Staker wrote:
Shal_Leg16 wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 21:09
Peter Ian Staker wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 20:57
Watching the safety car pit stops again, I am not quite sure the gap between Leclerc and Sainz was big enough when they reached the pits to double stack without risking losing track position to Hamilton.
even if we assume this true , only one car would have lost position and even then...ferrari is the faster car ,would have easily passed Lewis. we all saw Charles fought with lewis so long even with old hard tyres to Lewis's fresh softs.
Ferrari wasn't fast enough today to assume they could overtake Hamilton that easily.
Hamilton was faster than Sainz and was able to keep up with Leclerc most of the race and overtaking without significant tyre or car advantage wasn't easy today.
but Leclerc did overtake Hamilton once at least. On SC restart Ham took 2 laps to get the tire up to temp.

Anyway they were close on pace

JPower
JPower

Great explanation of Ferrari’s dilemma.

They thought the softs would degrade, leaving Charles to overtake Sainz and Hamilton in the long run.

Didn’t happen.

Drift4794
Drift4794

Stop trying to dilute their failure. Xavi said on radio: "The softs will only be faster for 2 laps". Like *what?* Their very own sims in FPs and the other teams' showed the soft tyre would last longer than that. All top 8 drivers pitted for softs except one. Leclerc. Worst case scenario they come out behind Lewis? Still a better position than leaving Leclerc out to defend on 20 lap old hards.

Also seems they didn't factor in tyre warm up which is baffling.

I am the biggest Ferrari fan and the happiest chap in a 200 mile radius when they win. I'm very emotionally attached but I honestly can't handle these disappointments week after week. Leaves me distraught and ruins my entire day.

2021 was a better season. At least we were maximizing points every race. It hurts way more this season

dialtone
dialtone

rafeyahmad wrote:Stop trying to dilute their failure. Xavi said on radio: "The softs will only be faster for 2 laps". Like *what?* Their very own sims in FPs and the other teams' showed the soft tyre would last longer than that. All top 8 drivers pitted for softs except one. Leclerc. Worst case scenario they come out behind Lewis? Still a better position than leaving Leclerc out to defend on 20 lap old hards.

I am the biggest Ferrari fan and the happiest chap in a 200 mile radius when they win. I'm very emotionally attached but I honestly can't handle these disappointments week after week. Leaves me distraught and ruins my entire day.

2021 was a better season. At least we were maximizing points every race. It hurts way more this season
Yeah this was bad. Every error in the race was unforced and even in real time was the wrong call. They double stacked in Bahrain with 5s difference and double stacked in monaco with less...

Xyz22
Xyz22

JPower wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 22:16

Great explanation of Ferrari’s dilemma.

They thought the softs would degrade, leaving Charles to overtake Sainz and Hamilton in the long run.

Didn’t happen.
If they were expecting the soft to have massive deg why did they pit Sainz?

Anyway looking at lap times Sainz would have been destroyed by Lewis without the SC. He was lapping over 0.5s slower in the second stint.

JPower
JPower

rafeyahmad wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 22:46
Stop trying to dilute their failure. Xavi said on radio: "The softs will only be faster for 2 laps". Like *what?* Their very own sims in FPs and the other teams' showed the soft tyre would last longer than that. All top 8 drivers pitted for softs except one. Leclerc. Worst case scenario they come out behind Lewis? Still a better position than leaving Leclerc out to defend on 20 lap old hards.

I don’t have to dilute anything. Never said it was the right or wrong decision.

I think you picked the wrong team to so emotionally invested in given its past history.

codetower

What this team lacks is someone in the pit wall/strategist with good racing instincts. I feel they can’t seem to make the right decisions quickly when they need to. I don’t know if this comes with more time racing for wins, or if they need to make a change, but right now it is not working.

I love my team, immensely. I keep reminding myself that 3 years ago, after the engine fiasco, we were nowhere near the top. Today I go into EVERY race with a belief that we can win. This hasn’t been the case in a few years, We are making progress. We have a very fast car, with a very special driver. Mercedes and RB have been doing this for a few years, naturally they are in a better place to make these kinds of quick thinking decisions. Look where other teams are this year compares to last. McLaren, Aston, even the mighty Mercedes got things wrong with their car and PU which put them them far behind the top for the first 1/3 of the season.

But with everything said, we are making progress. Pazienza, tifosi… arriverà presto.

mika vs michael
mika vs michael

Ferrari should do what REdbull does regarding their drivers. But Binotto said Ferrari is not going for the Championship this year. So maybe Ferrari don't deserve to get it. In the years of Michael Schumacher when they won 5 WDC and 6 WCC in a row they operated differently. They would not have left Michael Schumacher out to defend against the softs...tanks were empty so softs maybe would not degrade that fast...Ferrari look mediocre in strategy calls sometimes...they need a Ross Brawn...someone to step in at the right time.
"It is necessary to relax your muscles when you can. Relaxing your brain is fatal." Stirling Moss

I tried this and I had understeer, I tried that and I had oversteer, at the end of the corner I just run out of talent

mika vs michael
mika vs michael

Leclerc with a damaged wing and still was faster than Sainz.
"It is necessary to relax your muscles when you can. Relaxing your brain is fatal." Stirling Moss

I tried this and I had understeer, I tried that and I had oversteer, at the end of the corner I just run out of talent