2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
JPower
JPower

Re: 2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

basti313 wrote:
22 Aug 2022, 17:55
As said, most races they were in the nowhere. But there are multiple example of bad or at least "giving up" calls:
- In Stone you can argue, but they pitted Lec without any reason. With the pace he was good to go further 5 laps easily, every lap would have made it much harder to be passed by Ham in the end.
- In Turkey they threw away the podium with simply stupid calls. Anything to argue against this?
- In Zandvoort they completely screwed the tactics. Did not undercut with Lec, then pitted Sai out of the way without any reason of Gasly.
- In US you can argue that they gave up against struggling Perez. Just go long like Ham did and attack in the end...
- And the best: In Qatar they pitted both cars much too late and were stuck behind earlier pitting Ocon and Stroll till the end.

Maybe you saw a good call? Something where they gained a position last year due to strategy?
5 instances out of 44 races and hundreds of thousands of strategy permutations? You’re nitpicking.

I can do that for every 2021 team on the grid for every race. In an environment as dynamic as an F1 race, you should expect the strategy team not to lose position and occasionally win a position if the opportunity presents itself.

That’s why the 2022 blunders seem different. Places were lost. Outside of races compromised by heavy tire deg, I didn’t see that happen last year.

basti313
basti313

JPower wrote:
22 Aug 2022, 19:56
basti313 wrote:
22 Aug 2022, 17:55
As said, most races they were in the nowhere. But there are multiple example of bad or at least "giving up" calls:
- In Stone you can argue, but they pitted Lec without any reason. With the pace he was good to go further 5 laps easily, every lap would have made it much harder to be passed by Ham in the end.
- In Turkey they threw away the podium with simply stupid calls. Anything to argue against this?
- In Zandvoort they completely screwed the tactics. Did not undercut with Lec, then pitted Sai out of the way without any reason of Gasly.
- In US you can argue that they gave up against struggling Perez. Just go long like Ham did and attack in the end...
- And the best: In Qatar they pitted both cars much too late and were stuck behind earlier pitting Ocon and Stroll till the end.

Maybe you saw a good call? Something where they gained a position last year due to strategy?
5 instances out of 44 races and hundreds of thousands of strategy permutations? You’re nitpicking.

I can do that for every 2021 team on the grid for every race. In an environment as dynamic as an F1 race, you should expect the strategy team not to lose position and occasionally win a position if the opportunity presents itself.

That’s why the 2022 blunders seem different. Places were lost. Outside of races compromised by heavy tire deg, I didn’t see that happen last year.
With your argument you can even say that it is nitpicking that Ferrari strategies are bad. They did not make any errors in Imola, Austria, Baku or Spain, so the tactics are overall quite good?

Can you find a race where Ferrari actually won positions by good tactics in the last two years? I am searching, but failing...can not be a lot.
Don`t russel the hamster!

Drift4794
Drift4794

Hadn't read this until just now and wow, scathing critique from Albano who's generally very optimistic. Great article
https://www.formulapassion.it/opinioni/ ... 28327.html

organic

https://www.formu1a.uno/ferrari-nuovo-i ... a-redbull/

Duchessa reports leclerc will take a grid penalty as a result of new battery and new MGU-K. Sainz will have no penalty this weekend however

CaribouBread
CaribouBread

Performance looks all over the place, wrong setup or something to do with the new TD?

JPower
JPower

CaribouBread wrote:
26 Aug 2022, 18:53
Performance looks all over the place, wrong setup or something to do with the new TD?
I'm thinking setup. Red Bull seems to turn the tires on very well in cool weather. Ferrari and Mercedes, not so much.

I think the TD is irrelevant. If you were to listen to some, it should've put Mercedes on par or better than Ferrari/RB. Haven't seen that thus far.

Drift4794
Drift4794

Seems like Ferrari continues to function operationally like the government DMV office

CaribouBread
CaribouBread

Any concrete race-pace figures? The single lap deficit (for Sainz at least - for whom it mattered) is concerning to say the least.

f1316
f1316

Surprised to see Leclerc not faster than Sainz this weekend, especially with the new hybrid that his teammate doesn’t have. Maybe a glimpse at some pace in Q2 which, if he had done a normal Q3 might have translated to P2, but he generally looked slower than Sainz all weekend (and obviously still a big gap to Max).

The only straw I’m clutching at is that perhaps the new kers allows more deployment over continuous race laps (ie without regen laps) which would be a benefit over the long lap at Spa. I have no information to suggest that us necessarily the case though, so just hoping tbh.

Really wasn’t expecting Ferrari so far off the pace here and sounds like, from what Sainz said, they weren’t either.

JPower
JPower

CaribouBread wrote:
27 Aug 2022, 19:29
Any concrete race-pace figures? The single lap deficit (for Sainz at least - for whom it mattered) is concerning to say the least.
No but they said they've focused on race pace so we'll see what happens. I think Sainz gets jumped by Perez on lap 1 but we'll see if they're able to hang on to their tires.

CaribouBread
CaribouBread

Pace from both cars is very concerning.

JPower
JPower

Way off target.

Deg is massive. Tire understanding has been great up until the last two races. What’s changed?

Schippke
Schippke

I think it is a combined effort of lack of Ferrari pace this weekend, combined with Red Bull being at their optimum.

Despite all the tech experts on here, I still believe the Red Bull was still the fastest car in a straight line compared to the Ferrari. At some tracks, Red Bull ran more downforce just to try and ensure they had the pace in the corners and their overall Top-Speed is similar to Ferrari as a result.

However, on a track like this, even if Ferrari is running lower downforce... compare that to Red Bull which seem to have the car running at its absolute best in this sort of trim.

Eitherway, hope Ferrari can maintain their P2 and still get a couple of wins between now and season's end. That I think would be ideal; No point in talking Championships anymore.

CaribouBread
CaribouBread

Schippke wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 16:03
I think it is a combined effort of lack of Ferrari pace this weekend, combined with Red Bull being at their optimum.

Despite all the tech experts on here, I still believe the Red Bull was still the fastest car in a straight line compared to the Ferrari. At some tracks, Red Bull ran more downforce just to try and ensure they had the pace in the corners and their overall Top-Speed is similar to Ferrari as a result.

However, on a track like this, even if Ferrari is running lower downforce... compare that to Red Bull which seem to have the car running at its absolute best in this sort of trim.

Eitherway, hope Ferrari can maintain their P2 and still get a couple of wins between now and season's end. That I think would be ideal; No point in talking Championships anymore.
Against the RB sure, what about the Mercs though whats going on there, I get the feeling both Ferraris would finish behind both Mercs if Lewis hadn't taken himself out.

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

This is surely the nail in the coffin… of the championship, of 2022, of my will to live…