2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Xyz22
Xyz22

Re: 2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Andi76 wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 20:18
Xyz22 wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 19:53
Andi76 wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 19:47

To be honest - i don't know if its really hillarious. Maybe its the right thing to do. Ferrari has zero chance now to win any title and it does not matter if Ferrari will be 2nd or 3rd in the WCC. Concentratinh the efforts on 2023 probably is smarter than trying to win something you do not have any chance for. Of course this would be controversial and disappointing for the fans, but it would also be a reasonable move i think.
This team will never win. There is just too much incompetence.
Also if Ferraril will be behind by a significative margin in the next race it means they were heavily impacted by the new TD, highlighting 0 political power and being incapable of reacting with upgrades just like 2017, 2018 and 2019.
I agree that its the new TD that heavily impacts Ferrari if they will be behind by a significant margin. But at the moment, i hardly doubt it. Ferrari was far behind RB in qualifying, but still as far ahead of the others teams as usual. So it was not like Ferrari suddenly was slower. RB suddenly was much faster. The temperatures were also low, something Ferrari had always problem with in 2022. But we will see what theory is right in Zandvort.

I completely disagree with your first statement. 2 years ago Ferrari was a midfield-team. Within 2 years they had the fastest car. One cannot deny they made a huge step forward, numbers don't lie. Of course they need to improve in many areas, like strategy and organisation of race weekends. But bringing a team to the highest standards in F1 takes time. Mercedes needed 4 years. Red Bull 5 years, Renault 4 years and McLaren in the early 90's even 6 years. Even Jean Todt/Ross Brawn/Rory Byrne/Michael Schumacher were not able to do this overnight. At the end of the day Ferrari made a big step forward in the last two years and technically they are already at the top, together with Red Bull. They cannot be incompetent obviously. Imcompetence isn't something that makes this possible. And two years are not enough to bring a midfieldteam to the top. No one ever did this in F1. But the next step has to be done. Strengthening the Strategy Departement and Organisation at race weekends is needed. Procedures and disciplines have to be introduced. But this needs some time. Time will tell if Ferrari is able to do that. But two things are for sure - they are not incompetent. Incompetence does not build a car as fast as the F1-75. And they improved and made a big step forward - numbers clearly prove that. Everything else is the last, infamous "10 percent" that a championship-winning team needs.

Finally i need to add that Ferraris situation reminds me of 1996, even if Ferrari today is even more sucessfull. Everyone called for changes and people to get fired. They wanted Jean Todts head on a plate...what would have happened if Todt wouldn't have been given the time necessary to properly rebuild Ferrari? Todays situation is very similar. And as in 1996 - Ferrari just needs time. Like every other team in F1 history did. No has ever been able to rebuild a team technically, organisationally and mentally(what also is a huge part of sucess) in 2 years only.
A fast car is absolutely useless in the hands of the current Team, the one that go on track each weekend. F I didn't call anyone to be fired (outside Rueda and whoever is responsible for strategy decisions, which have been awful since 2014) but the reality is that each weekend something goes wrong. We failed to win even with a dominant car this year, like in Monaco.

Ferrari was a midfield team because in 2019 they decided to allocate all the budget to (at the time) 2021 rules because they knew they had 0 chances to beat Mercedes after the disaster that was the SF 90 chassis. In fact the SF 1000 was just a re-skinned SF 90 full of aero drag to increase downforce (it's hilarious that the SF 21 had more changed compared to the SF 1000 than the SF 1000 compared to the SF 90 despite the fact that there was a chassis freeze for 2021 lmao). On top of that, the FIA banned the illegal engine they built the year before and they found themselves with the worst PU of the grid by a massive margin.

The situation is absolutely nothing like it was in the mid / late 90s. In that era, Ferrari decided that in order to relaunch the company they should have won in Formula 1. To do that, they started hiring the best possible people for the job. In 96 the car was absolutely awful. Schumacher won a few races because he was in another league compared to any other drivers in the grid. In 97 already they fought for the WDC till the last race because, despite not having a top car, they were the top in all the other areas. The same happened in 98.
Ferrari never had the best car in those years, but had MSC and a very competent strategy/ operational team which allowed them to fight till the end.

Currently, this team wouldn't win the WDC even with Schumacher and the F 2004. As a matter of fact, Ferrari is the worst managed team in Formula 1 and this was one of the worst season i've ever seen in my entire life. I've seen nothing even remotely close to what happened in Monaco, Silverstone and Hungary recently.

wogx

Charles today made a mistake in the end which cost us some valuable points, but this sometimes happens. In the Netherlands, we are counting on an easy victory.

Mattia Binotto for Sky Sports :roll: :roll: :roll:
Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

organic

The issue here was red bull being quick, not so much Ferrari being slow. At Hungary Ferrari's gap to Merc was about the same.

Red bull simply had an excellent setup compromise, a bit of development and a car that's basically tailored to spa. Made to look worse by bad tyre temp management in the race for Sainz

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

Andi76
Andi76

ringo wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 21:41
More and more Mercedes are racing with Ferrari.
They have fallen from front runner to leader of the midfield.

Overall i do think Ferrari are on an upward trend.
Binnotto is putting the pieces together little by little.

The car in my eyes was never the best one. and it has played out this way once RB sorted out some quirks.
But it has good foundation. Binnotto can work on operations now and a less draggy car for next year.

Redbull are in a different league now.
But it gives Ferrari room to focus on itself and galvanize each department. They can also study Redbull's car and operations to truly challenge enxt year.
Sorry if i do not agree. In qualifying Mercedes was 1,1 secs. slower than Ferrari. So Mercedes is still as far behind as they used to be at the beginning of the season. In Bahrain 0,7, Saudi Arabia 0,9, Australia 1,0 secs... now Belgium 1,1 secs.

And Ferrari did have the best car, at least according to most F1 experts and insiders. And they are probably right as in France, Austria, Monaco, Great Britain, Spain, Australia, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain and probably also in Ascherbaidschan(if memory serves), Ferrari had, without a doubt, the best car. Thats 9 out of 14 races, and most Pole Positions of the season underline the experts opinion, so i think they are right. But of course you are free to have your own opinion, even if most experts and i have a different one.

That Mercedes can race more and more with Ferrari in the last few races is more related to Ferraris mistakes and the fact that the F1-75 does not work at low temperatures because of its rear suspension, i think. They huge difference in qualifying also suggests that.

The "draggy Ferrari" .... , sorry if i also doubt that sentence. A car that was 4km/h faster in Silverstone than Perez and 7 km/h faster than Verstappen is definetely not "draggy". Here the source, if you doubt this fact :

https://www.motorsport-total.com/formel ... /topspeeds

But anyway - recognizing Ferraris upward trend and that Binotto putting the pieces together despite of all the media harassement shows that there are still some people who are able to stay objective and realistic.

Sofa King
Sofa King

Mercedes is up 4 points on Ferrari over the last 10 races. Not sure what other evidence you need that they are on exactly the same level. There are no points awarded for qualifying last time I checked

organic

Sofa King wrote:
29 Aug 2022, 02:33
Mercedes is up 4 points on Ferrari over the last 10 races. Not sure what other evidence you need that they are on exactly the same level. There are no points awarded for qualifying last time I checked
Oh come on. The Merc has been on the same level points-wise in the last 10 races sure but that's so reductive. That includes races like France, Baku and especially Spain where Charles was winning or in close contention. The car has been consistently quickest or equal quickest until the last 2 races, and Merc have not once had the quickest car on the weekend. Reliability and fewer driver/strategy errors brings Merc into the picture. Ok I agree Ferrari and Mercedes are on the same level actually but the W13 and the f1-75 have not

Xyz22
Xyz22

Spoutnik wrote:
29 Aug 2022, 01:00
Carlos stint with the mediums was shocking.

ringo

Sofa King wrote:
Yes. Mercedes are also able to chase and pass a ferrari since Barcelona. Cars on different levels aren't able to do that.
Today Mercedes had better race pace.
The last time ferrari passed a redbull on the same strategy must have been in Austria, when the bulls were suffering.
For Sure!!

Xyz22
Xyz22

It's also time to talk about Leclerc's race engineer. I have no idea how is this guy still employed. He is quickly reaching a level of incompetence only displayed by Rueda in Formula 1.

sunny1304r
sunny1304r

Yesterday christian horner said that Ferrari might be suffering because of the TD . Can it be true ? I thought the TD will not be implemented until 2023.

JPower
JPower

Xyz22 wrote:
29 Aug 2022, 03:25
Spoutnik wrote:
29 Aug 2022, 01:00
Carlos stint with the mediums was shocking.
Something isn’t clicking with his setup.

Second straight race he’s been bad on mediums. He was able to lean on the hards just fine once Adami gave him the OK to push.

mendis
mendis

Coming days would reveal if it's the TD that has set them back or just bad setup work. A car that was working in all conditions, on all compounds and on all circuits, has suddenly become a bad car. Both in Hungary and in Spa which is weird.

Sofa King
Sofa King

You’re sounding like the Iraqi Minister of Information. 10 races are half the season and points are all that matter
organic wrote:
29 Aug 2022, 03:11
Sofa King wrote:
Oh come on. The Merc has been on the same level points-wise in the last 10 races sure but that's so reductive. That includes races like France, Baku and especially Spain where Charles was winning or in close contention. The car has been consistently quickest or equal quickest until the last 2 races, and Merc have not once had the quickest car on the weekend. Reliability and fewer driver/strategy errors brings Merc into the picture. Ok I agree Ferrari and Mercedes are on the same level actually but the W13 and the f1-75 have not

CaribouBread
CaribouBread

mendis wrote:
29 Aug 2022, 05:49
Coming days would reveal if it's the TD that has set them back or just bad setup work. A car that was working in all conditions, on all compounds and on all circuits, has suddenly become a bad car. Both in Hungary and in Spa which is weird.
I get the feeling they might've had to stiffen up the suspension to avoid the "vertical Gs" measurements, would explain the tyre troubles at least. The cars looked snappy and non compliant in successive turns where the car excelled previously. The car wasn't slammed to the ground previously anyways so I think they weren't affected too much by the new floor stuff but surely they had to change a few things for the bouncing.