2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Peter Ian Staker
Peter Ian Staker

Re: 2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

mzso wrote:
29 Nov 2022, 16:24
Peter Ian Staker wrote:
29 Nov 2022, 14:32
Can anybody come up with a good reason for Vasseur to be given the job beyond Leclerc’s camp want him and nobody better actually wants it?
Nothing better is needed.
Yeah, I don't see either him or Charles being at the team come 2025 if that's the case.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Wouter wrote:
29 Nov 2022, 17:42
AR3-GP wrote:
29 Nov 2022, 17:25
mzso wrote:
29 Nov 2022, 16:21

Binotto was the one who resigned...
Besided, clearly he wasn't effective. The big question is, whether they can hire someone better.
Oh come on now, Binotto’s “resignation” is just the cover story to make both parties look good. So Ferrari management can say it’s not their fault and Binotto can say he didn’t get “sacked”.
Binotto didn’t get sacked. He resigned. Elkann asked him to stay on as TD but Binotto refused,
because Elkann has been working against him on all fronts for a while and he is right to leave completely!!
That does not alter the fact that Binotto is very sorry to leave Ferrari.
I still think this is a generous view that would give one the opportunity to blame Mattia for "quitting" or "abandoning" Ferrari. He did no such thing.

Ferrari set the cards in motion by undermining him and seeking to remove some of his responsibility. This, in my view, is equivalent to sacking. Mattia's response was to get ahead of it, and resign.

It looks better for both parties this way. Ferrari cannot be blamed for getting rid of him, if he officially resigned. Likewise, Mattia cannot be claimed to have been "sacked", even though we know that behind the scenes they attempt to demote him.

Somehow, everybody "wins", yet Ferrari and Mattia are also the losers in this. Ferrari throwing away a brilliant engineer, and Mattia throwing away a 28 year passion. This paradox is uniquely Ferrari.

Hope to see Mattia at Sauber to give Audi a head start.

chrisc90

It wasnt even a bad year for Ferrari TBH. There must be tensions behind closed doors as I think their results on track were pretty good if you remove the reliability issues. 2nd and 5th in WDC, 2nd place in WCC.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

chrisc90 wrote:
29 Nov 2022, 19:42
It wasnt even a bad year for Ferrari TBH. There must be tensions behind closed doors as I think their results on track were pretty good if you remove the reliability issues. 2nd and 5th in WDC, 2nd place in WCC.
:wtf:

I beg to differ.

Ferrari was outwitted and undermined politically, strategically, and mechanically....It was an absolutely disastrous year to only take 3 wins with this F1-75 and Charles Leclerc.

chrisc90

AR3-GP wrote:
29 Nov 2022, 19:45
chrisc90 wrote:

I beg to differ.

Ferrari was outwitted and undermined politically, strategically, and mechanically....It was an absolutely disastrous year to only take 3 wins with this F1-75 and Charles Leclerc.
3 more wins than they had in 2021
3 more wins than they had in 2020
Equal wins with the season they had in 2019.

Strategy is a game of chance, it just happens that Red Bull are VERY VERY good at their calls for strategy. Ferrari are probably about on par with Mercedes and others if you exclude the tyre mishaps in Monaco and qualifying late on in the season.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

chrisc90 wrote:
29 Nov 2022, 19:50
AR3-GP wrote:
chrisc90 wrote:

I beg to differ.

This is a very charitable interpretation of events :lol:

Wouter

AR3-GP wrote:
29 Nov 2022, 19:37
Wouter wrote:
29 Nov 2022, 17:42
AR3-GP wrote:
29 Nov 2022, 17:25
Oh come on now, Binotto’s “resignation” is just the cover story to make both parties look good. So Ferrari management can say it’s not their fault and Binotto can say he didn’t get “sacked”.
Binotto didn’t get sacked. He resigned. Elkann asked him to stay on as TD but Binotto refused,
because Elkann has been working against him on all fronts for a while and he is right to leave completely!!
That does not alter the fact that Binotto is very sorry to leave Ferrari.
I still think this is a generous view that would give one the opportunity to blame Mattia for "quitting" or "abandoning" Ferrari. He did no such thing.

Ferrari set the cards in motion by undermining him and seeking to remove some of his responsibility. This, in my view, is equivalent to sacking. Mattia's response was to get ahead of it, and resign.
I agree to that, but I don't think anybody is blaming Binotto for "quitting" or "abandoning" Ferrari. He did no such thing, everybody knows that. Also that Elkann was undermining him where ever he could. :-(
The Power of Dreams!

JordanMugen

AR3-GP wrote:
It was an absolutely disastrous year to only take 3 wins with this F1-75 and Charles Leclerc.
They had 4 wins for the F1-75, and obviously could have won in France if not for Leclerc crashing and in Spain and Baku if not for engine failure.

It's a shame that TD039 (would using the veto have been too politically explosive for the sport?) and detuning the engine made the car less competitive in the second half of the season, but it's best not to overreact. Ferrari will try again with the 2023 car... F1 is a game of incremental improvements. :)

The faction of Santander and Sainz certainly ties the teams hands on using team orders and developing the car to have extreme oversteer (as Leclerc and Verstappen prefer, and Red Bull dutifully provides regardless of Perez's complaints but not Ferrari regardless of Sainz/Santander), but they can try again with the stronger 2023 front tyre and this time ignore Sainz's crashes and complaints of an undriveable car.

One must bear in mind that Ferrari tried to fire Jean Todt in 1996... Such short-term thinking is grossly unwise IMO.

The Italian press gave Ferrari a rough ride in the newspapers in the days after the disastrous Magny-Cours weekend, and when Michael Schumacher suffered another engine blow-up in testing last week at Monza, there were renewed calls for change at Maranello. Such was the violence of the reaction that Michael Schumacher went on the offensive in his defense of team manager Jean Todt, the main target for the attacks.

"Jean Todt is one of the best people at Ferrari," said the World Champion at Monza. "If you want to destroy Ferrari, then kick out Todt. If you want the team to grow, let him stay."

Todt had said after the French GP that he was ready to resign from the team if he was asked to do so because of the dreadful results in Canada and France.
GrandPrix.com, July 8, 1996.
https://www.grandprix.com/news/pressure ... again.html

Such short-term methods are precisely why the likes of Andreas Seidl refuse the rumoured Ferrari offers - he prefers a permanent TP role at McLaren over a temporary TP role at Ferrari. Likewise Newey refusing a Ferrari technical director role, "Ferrari is a lot of money for a short period of time."

chrisc90

AR3-GP wrote:
29 Nov 2022, 20:47
chrisc90 wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

I beg to differ.

How do you mean?

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

chrisc90 wrote:
29 Nov 2022, 22:14
AR3-GP wrote:
chrisc90 wrote:

How do you mean?
They started the season with a performance level that was higher than that of Red Bull and Mercedes and had more wind tunnel hours than Red Bull and Mercedes. You don't lose a championship from that position. RB wouldn't have and Mercedes wouldn't have.

I rest my case.

Using prior seasons to make 2022 look better than it was is very charitable.

chrisc90

AR3-GP wrote:
29 Nov 2022, 22:28
chrisc90 wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

How do you mean?
They started the season with a performance level that was higher than that of Red Bull and Mercedes and had more wind tunnel hours than Red Bull and Mercedes. You don't lose a championship from that position. RB wouldn't have and Mercedes wouldn't have.

I rest my case.

Given the lack of results over previous seasons then Ferrari should be happy with where they were. 2nd fastest car on the grid isnt anything to fire your TP over.

tpe
tpe

FW17 wrote:
29 Nov 2022, 16:04
Has Ferrari approached Elon Musk for the TP job?

We need hardcore at the scuderia right now.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

tpe
tpe

So, Binotto is a saint?
Or the devil?

And what is Elkann?
Why would someone to hold the role of TP and TD at the same time for 4 years?
Is the technical department that shallow?

How can you consider a team successful when they clearly have such a disastrous 2nd half of the season?
How can you consider the team unsuccessful, when only a year ago it was not able to even think about a fight for the win?

And how about the political weight of the team in corridors of the ICE headquarters?

With all of the above and a lot others, I want to point out that nothing is black and white. I didn't like the departure of Arrivabene, but maybe I was wrong.
Or not.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

chrisc90 wrote:
29 Nov 2022, 22:47
AR3-GP wrote:
29 Nov 2022, 22:28
chrisc90 wrote:

How do you mean?

I rest my case.

Given the lack of results over previous seasons then Ferrari should be happy with where they were. 2nd fastest car on the grid isnt anything to fire your TP over.
16 WDC, 15 WCC, 241 wins.

Ferrari isn't some wet behind the ears F1 team. There are standards which must be met. Frankly, the road car division will be questioning allowing the current operations to make a mockery of the brand.
Last edited by AR3-GP on 29 Nov 2022, 23:13, edited 1 time in total.

chrisc90

So you think the team will become stronger after Mattia has gone? Its probably going to set them back another 2-3 years. You have drivers that make super basic mistakes all season, strategy department that cant even tell the pit garage what tyres to use or when to properly pit. Everything is a question to the drivers in a race.

They have a car thats fast in quali trim but loses a bit come race day. Improving on that for next year isnt going to be a hard task for them really if they have the right heads working together.

There would likely be other heads that would roll before the TP had their neck fully on the line