2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Vanja #66

Re: 2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Xyz22 wrote:
30 Nov 2022, 18:41
https://twitter.com/Vetteleclerc

You can find Leclerc interview with Amus on this twitter account. Very interesting.
Thanks for sharing, good interview and some older stuff. I didn't read her posts for a while
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Scorpaguy

Bino seems to be getting a lot of credit for bringing the team back to competitiveness. I recall it differently...Arri had the team consistently fighting at the front end of the grid-was unceremoniously sacked-replaced by Bino-Big Red then had a horrible year (much worse than Arri ever did)-Bino and Co. pleaded for patience and stated stability would reap rewards...and it did to a degree (unlimited cash will facilitate such). However, the house Bino built up was the very one he tore down. I wonder where Big Red would be had they given Arri 4 more years.

Still, the Arri/Bino years were likely doomed to be sans titles...Merc was just too strong. The Ferrari culture is now a bit reminiscent of the Spinal Tap drummer throne. I fear it is not the TD keeping them from a title. They too should know this, so I suspect a pick from "left field" to try a different paradigm.

Schippke
Schippke

Oh boy… history repeating itself again.

Firstly, anyone that things that Binotto ‘Resigned’ legitimately, should view it none other than a media stunt; Nobody will know the full terms and it’s simply to save face. Definitely forced out in one way or another. At least 1 more year (or even half the year) to prove he was capable of turning some of the misfortune around would’ve gone some way… clearly not.

The fact that there is no official replacement yet (despite Binotto finishing at the end of the year officially) is even more concerning… and the rumours surrounding other team principals apparently turning down the job says enough. Yes, Vasseur seems to be the front runner, but again… personally don’t think he’s got anything special about him, other than getting on good with the Leclerc camp… might prove to be what is needed.

Also, what ever happens in 2023 (for the first part anyway) particularly with the car will be down to Binotto’s work from the season/s prior, so whoever takes on the role won’t have that much influence there until much later. Strategy wise though, could be a different story.

The saddest part is that all this work to set in place the Ferrari of the future has fallen back to old habits, and now we’ll restart the process once again… naturally a new Team Principal, whoever they are, will want to replay and restructure everything so that will set the team back again in some ways.

Let’s hope they start the season with a car that is capable for race wins from the start once more… but the advantage Red Bull had and the amount of progress Mercedes made up this year… they’ll have a lot more to worry about that’ll could end up being the difference between a 1,2… or a 5,6…

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Schippke wrote:
01 Dec 2022, 02:37

Firstly, anyone that things that Binotto ‘Resigned’ legitimately, should view it none other than a media stunt; Nobody will know the full terms and it’s simply to save face.
Exactly. It let's Ferrari look innocent because their TP "walked away" and excuses the failures in the upcoming seasons, while also allowing Mattia to save face by suggesting it was of his own will. Mattia would never have left if he was not forced out. He said it himself. 28 years.

Likewise, as you state elsewhere, the fact that they planned to sack him, and have no replacement lined up for the technical director is well....pants.

f1316
f1316

I personally wouldn’t have fired Binotto right now - ultimately, he hit his targets and giving him one more year seemed sensible.

But, that said, I don’t think this is nearly as disastrous as people are making out. All the same people building the car, all the way up to the department chiefs, are still in place and will need minimal day-to-day supervision to maintain their roadmaps which are all already set. The main thing Ferrari needed in 2022 was someone to purely manage the operations of the race team properly and be a clear leader who sets the tone, organises and plays the political game well, and someone can easily slot into that sort of leadership role.

The idea that there’s real technical innovation that comes from someone in Binotto’s position is way off the mark - this all comes from the folks who are still there and will continue to be there. Indeed, in some cases removing a hands on boss - a TP who also wants to be a TD - in this kinds of situations can be freeing. Of course they need an overall technical leader and in the team to have the final say and ensure cohesion with the departments, but that can quite easily come from within.

So it wouldn’t surprise me at all if a set of announcements are announced in the coming weeks and there’s virtually no impact to next year’s car.

Now, for the fun speculation part: what about a return of Aldo Costa but as TP? He has the technical background - is currently at Dallara, so not tied to a current F1 team but has ties to Haas who have ties to Ferrari- and might be keen to step into an overall leadership role? He was, imho, mistreated at the end of his prior stint (the 2011 car was decent at its core - and much better than the 2012 - just missed the exhaust blowing) so could resent that but might also want to set the record straight?

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

I wonder what Cyril Abiteboul is doing these days....

diffuser

AR3-GP wrote:
01 Dec 2022, 19:47
Works for Mecachrome

diffuser

f1316 wrote:
01 Dec 2022, 06:20
I personally wouldn’t have fired Binotto right now - ultimately, he hit his targets and giving him one more year seemed sensible.

But, that said, I don’t think this is nearly as disastrous as people are making out. All the same people building the car, all the way up to the department chiefs, are still in place and will need minimal day-to-day supervision to maintain their roadmaps which are all already set. The main thing Ferrari needed in 2022 was someone to purely manage the operations of the race team properly and be a clear leader who sets the tone, organises and plays the political game well, and someone can easily slot into that sort of leadership role.

The idea that there’s real technical innovation that comes from someone in Binotto’s position is way off the mark - this all comes from the folks who are still there and will continue to be there. Indeed, in some cases removing a hands on boss - a TP who also wants to be a TD - in this kinds of situations can be freeing. Of course they need an overall technical leader and in the team to have the final say and ensure cohesion with the departments, but that can quite easily come from within.

So it wouldn’t surprise me at all if a set of announcements are announced in the coming weeks and there’s virtually no impact to next year’s car.

Now, for the fun speculation part: what about a return of Aldo Costa but as TP? He has the technical background - is currently at Dallara, so not tied to a current F1 team but has ties to Haas who have ties to Ferrari- and might be keen to step into an overall leadership role? He was, imho, mistreated at the end of his prior stint (the 2011 car was decent at its core - and much better than the 2012 - just missed the exhaust blowing) so could resent that but might also want to set the record straight?
Binotto is gonna be a boon for whoever sign's him. He will bring a wealth Ferrari process knowledge.

tpe
tpe

People saying names like Costa, or Resta.

The real question, IMHO is do they want to come back?
How did Ferrari treat them back then?

DDopey
DDopey

Scorpaguy wrote:
01 Dec 2022, 02:12
Bino seems to be getting a lot of credit for bringing the team back to competitiveness. I recall it differently...Arri had the team consistently fighting at the front end of the grid-was unceremoniously sacked-replaced by Bino-Big Red then had a horrible year (much worse than Arri ever did)-Bino and Co. pleaded for patience and stated stability would reap rewards...and it did to a degree (unlimited cash will facilitate such). However, the house Bino built up was the very one he tore down. I wonder where Big Red would be had they given Arri 4 more years.

Still, the Arri/Bino years were likely doomed to be sans titles...Merc was just too strong. The Ferrari culture is now a bit reminiscent of the Spinal Tap drummer throne. I fear it is not the TD keeping them from a title. They too should know this, so I suspect a pick from "left field" to try a different paradigm.
Agree a lot with this. A team principal has to work with what he gets. You can blame Arri for a lot, but not the car speed, that was actually more on the plate of Binotto.

diffuser

tpe wrote:
01 Dec 2022, 21:11

I think the real question is "Does John Elkann have a clue of the tallents that Binotto's replacement should possesses".

Shal_Leg16
Shal_Leg16

Scorpaguy wrote:
01 Dec 2022, 02:12

i dont really get what credit he is getting. For building a fast car in 2022 ?

for a team like ferrari with all the manpower, resources and experience available building a good fast car should be just the first basic step. As a TP his real job starts after thet. with that Car & driver like Leclerc only 3-4 wins is not a good performance. People only seem to think its good because they compare it with previous 2 seasons.

apart from this bad performance in race management, strategic blunders , incompetence in deciding driver priority, incompetance in influencing Technical directives and related politics all this flaws stand at Binotto's doorsteps.

He is not that bad but in comparison to likes of TOTO & horner he is no match. Ferrari wont win anything with him.

mzso
mzso

AR3-GP wrote:
01 Dec 2022, 19:47
Bring back Briatore instead!

But more seriously, they should pay a boatload of money to Ross Brawn for a few years, to put things together. With free reign of course.
Which would include finding his successor.

Peter Ian Staker
Peter Ian Staker

diffuser wrote:
02 Dec 2022, 01:01
tpe wrote:

I think the real question is "Does John Elkann have a clue of the tallents that Binotto's replacement should possesses".
You are expecting the finance guy or the semiconductor person he installed as CEO to know what qualities an F1 team principal should have?
Ideally they should have just hired a known good quantity and just let him cook but since none of these people seems to want this job we are down to Leclerc's management trying to dictate the next TP through the media.

diffuser

Peter Ian Staker wrote:
02 Dec 2022, 17:56
diffuser wrote:
02 Dec 2022, 01:01
tpe wrote:

You are expecting the finance guy or the semiconductor person he installed as CEO to know what qualities an F1 team principal should have?
Ideally they should have just hired a known good quantity and just let him cook but since none of these people seems to want this job we are down to Leclerc's management trying to dictate the next TP through the media.
Don't think Horner, Wolfe are looking for jobs and Todd and Brawn are retired. :)

If Elkan is making decisions based on LeClerc's opinion, Ferrari are lost. You need to be meeing with the people that feed into Binotto, including Binotto, regularly, one on one and to talk about what's going on. You need to have a pulse on the decisions being made and what the choices were. They Say that Binotto was trying to iliminate the blame culture at Ferrari, to spur creativity. It's easy, in that situation, for the buck to always stop at Binotto.

Regardless of the negative effect on creatifity, If you have a blame cluture, it's easier for a guy like Elkan to get info without doing any work. Maybe that's what he's looking for.

I like Binotto and thought they got rid of him to earily. Obviously, Elkan might know more than I think he knows and is doing this based of facts, he wants the blame game or his own guy.