2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Alonsismo
Alonsismo

Re: 2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

organic wrote:
09 May 2022, 13:48
JPower wrote:
09 May 2022, 13:30
Vanja #66 wrote:
09 May 2022, 12:59
Good result for the team. It was always going to be difficult to win here with top speed deficit.

Sainz blew the start, he really doesn't have the racing intelligence of champions. In time, he'll get better, maybe good enough to challenge for a title in a few years. This error from Sainz cost Charles the time to build the gap he could manage and Max forced him to cook the tires.

Without any real upgrades and on a track favouring RB, finishing 2-3 is not a good result, its a great result. But the team shouldn't be happy about it.
Who on the dirty side of the grid had a good start? Hamilton, Norris and Russell all lost places at the start. Sainz had already pointed that out after quali that it would be tough to get a decent launch into T1.
Perez was the only one on the dirty side who didn't lose out at least a place iirc
and this was due to the bad start system that Alfa romeo has

JPower
JPower

Vanja #66 wrote:
09 May 2022, 14:09
JPower wrote:
09 May 2022, 13:30
Who on the dirty side of the grid had a good start? Hamilton, Norris and Russell all lost places at the start. Sainz had already pointed that out after quali that it would be tough to get a decent launch into T1.
He got a decent launch actually. He failed to understand Max's intention, which was 100% the only option he could have tried to gain a position - starting from outside and going into a chicane. Sainz had more than enough room and time to move half a car width to the left and prevent Max from getting a good position.
That’s not “blowing the start”. Risk averse, yes, but very understandable why Sainz would not take risks on shutting the door on Max given his recent run of DNFs.

I don’t think starts or start positioning are that’s a skill he’s lacking by any means.

ringo

Vanja #66 wrote:
09 May 2022, 12:59
Good result for the team. It was always going to be difficult to win here with top speed deficit.

Sainz blew the start, he really doesn't have the racing intelligence of champions. In time, he'll get better, maybe good enough to challenge for a title in a few years. This error from Sainz cost Charles the time to build the gap he could manage and Max forced him to cook the tires.

Without any real upgrades and on a track favouring RB, finishing 2-3 is not a good result, its a great result. But the team shouldn't be happy about it.
As for Sainz start maybe too timid into the first corner but not much he could do. Redbull brakes well. He could have been a little naughty with Max maybe.
But i hope he builds his momemntum and even get 1 win. I will be happy for him for his first win.
It's about time he finds a track that suits him more than Charles. Barcelona is going to put a lot of pressure on him.
For Sure!!

ferkan
ferkan

PlatinumZealot wrote:
09 May 2022, 02:37
Newey is confident RedBull will have the legs on ferrari and dominate. I don't know what Newey sees or doesn't see in the F175 but he feels his car has more more potential.
Newey also said they had better car last year, which for sure they didn't because after Silverstone Merc looked easily quicker car of the two.

organic

ferkan wrote:
09 May 2022, 15:35
PlatinumZealot wrote:
09 May 2022, 02:37
Newey is confident RedBull will have the legs on ferrari and dominate. I don't know what Newey sees or doesn't see in the F175 but he feels his car has more more potential.
Newey also said they had better car last year, which for sure they didn't because after Silverstone Merc looked easily quicker car of the two.
I don't think we should dig too deep into 2021 for fear of derailing the thread but had some key events played out slightly differently the points table for verstappen would've looked a lot more favourable. Misfortune made it close

I agree though that newey will believe in himself. The Ferrari car is good and the red bull car is good; it's likely that each team believes in their own concept! Just like it was with red bull believing in high rake and Merc believing in low rake in the previous regulations

Schippke
Schippke

Just going back to the race on Sunday, I think Ferrari missed a potential opportunity to win this race... and possibly snag 2nd as well.

Upon the Virtual Safety Car that became a Full Safety Car, they had the chance to pit both Charles and Sainz on a set of (fresher, though not new) Softs. Even if Perez stayed out, both Ferrari most likely would've had the chance to get past with the power deficit he was carrying, and would've had a shot at trying to pass Max for a shot at the 1,2.

Even if the performance on the tyres went away towards the end of the race, they still would've almost certainly finished 2nd and 3rd in the race anyway, since Perez was falling behind with the power issue.

Maybe I was missing something from that (aside from the potential issue with the pitstops which they seemed to be struggling with), but it would've been worth the gamble personally so I view it as a lost opportunity.

Had the situation been reversed (but identical tyre wise), Ferrari was leading and Red Bull were behind, you'd almost certainly think they would've pitted Max to change tyres and go or it.

Alakshendra

Schippke wrote:
10 May 2022, 15:14
Just going back to the race on Sunday, I think Ferrari missed a potential opportunity to win this race... and possibly snag 2nd as well.

Upon the Virtual Safety Car that became a Full Safety Car, they had the chance to pit both Charles and Sainz on a set of (fresher, though not new) Softs. Even if Perez stayed out, both Ferrari most likely would've had the chance to get past with the power deficit he was carrying, and would've had a shot at trying to pass Max for a shot at the 1,2.

Even if the performance on the tyres went away towards the end of the race, they still would've almost certainly finished 2nd and 3rd in the race anyway, since Perez was falling behind with the power issue.

Maybe I was missing something from that (aside from the potential issue with the pitstops which they seemed to be struggling with), but it would've been worth the gamble personally so I view it as a lost opportunity.

Had the situation been reversed (but identical tyre wise), Ferrari was leading and Red Bull were behind, you'd almost certainly think they would've pitted Max to change tyres and go or it.
Actually i felt the same thing. It was strange that there were just 13 laps remaining and ferrari didnt tried for soft by taking advantage of the pit under safety car.

I do think that from strategy point we are still not talking chances and taking a conventional approach.

One thing which i was not able to understand how redbull got that much straight line speed and ferrari lost that much ground after such amazing start. Leclerc even complained that car is difficult to drive.

CRazyLemon
CRazyLemon

Schippke wrote:
10 May 2022, 15:14

Agreed, opportunity to pull an RBR on RBR and potentially Leclerc wouldn't even have come out behind Perez.

LM10
LM10

So apparently Ferrari have not even used the new rear wing after all.

Ferrari did NOT use the new rear wing in Miami, Binotto confirmed that to
@danielesparisci
: "When we arrived in Miami we saw the asphalt conditions, it was very rough, so it was not the ideal choice. We had to focus on tyre degradation first rather than speed on the straight."

Binotto about the Barcelona upgrade: "It will be an important package, not the most important of the season. It will be a technical confrontation that will go on for a long time and it won't be a single innovation that makes the difference."

Binotto: "But I also think that at some point Red Bull will have to stop developing, otherwise it would not explain how they do it with the budget cap. We monitor the changes that Red Bull brings to each race & make an estimate of the costs: so far they have spent more than us."

Binotto: "The differences [between us and RB] aren't big, we're talking about two tenths of a second, which in F1 isn't much. Our developments will come, Barcelona is the new challenge. We have to make sure that everything we have planned works. As it has happened this winter."

#AMuS At Ferrari, the plan is to combine larger upgrade packages together. The upgrades get mounted on the car once it is certain that they will bring progress.
Binotto: "In Barcelona we will have an upgrade. It is very important that it works."
#tami.

dialtone
dialtone

https://www.formu1a.uno/ferrari-allatta ... -3-decimi/

0.3s update in Barcelona without the floor. I hope they'll bring the new floor and make that 0.3s a bit more, I'm pretty convinced without porpoising they would have won in both Imola and Miami handily.

falonso81

It would be a bummer if they fail to get the new floor on. They need to turn the tables quickly or else Red Bull will run away with both championships.

dialtone
dialtone

Re: Ferrari F1-75

matteosc wrote:
10 May 2022, 21:44
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM240IV ... Ng&index=2
Interesting video, even if I do not agree 100%. I think Ferrari cannot run a low downforce package with the same efficiency of Red Bull.
This video is pretty much dead wrong on any point they bring forward for what it's worth.

JPower
JPower

dialtone wrote:
10 May 2022, 19:01

0.3s update in Barcelona without the floor. I hope they'll bring the new floor and make that 0.3s a bit more, I'm pretty convinced without porpoising they would have won in both Imola and Miami handily.
I think getting rid of the porpoising will benefit Sainz a good bit. His late braking style doesn't fit the car well as it sits. I think Hamilton is in the same boat interestingly enough. Charles' early in, early out seems to work better with the '22 cars' stiff suspension and helps mitigate the effects of the bouncing.

I don't know if it will help close the gap to Leclerc a lower, softer, more predictable setup should be right up his alley.

Obviously, Leclerc should be able to take it to Max if the car gains 3 tenths. The Ferrari should be front of the pack in Spain and Monaco given the diminished importance of top speed at those two tracks.

dialtone
dialtone

JPower wrote:
11 May 2022, 02:30
dialtone wrote:
10 May 2022, 19:01

I think getting rid of the porpoising will benefit Sainz a good bit. His late braking style doesn't fit the car well as it sits. I think Hamilton is in the same boat interestingly enough. Charles' early in, early out seems to work better with the '22 cars' stiff suspension and helps mitigate the effects of the bouncing.

I don't know if it will help close the gap to Leclerc a lower, softer, more predictable setup should be right up his alley.

Obviously, Leclerc should be able to take it to Max if the car gains 3 tenths. The Ferrari should be front of the pack in Spain and Monaco given the diminished importance of top speed at those two tracks.
Plus unless these cars really can follow, if Ferrari can start in front, it will end in front.

Schippke
Schippke

dialtone wrote:
11 May 2022, 02:33
Plus unless these cars really can follow, if Ferrari can start in front, it will end in front.
Was this in regards to Monaco or Grand Prix in general? Because if general... Max sort of proved that point incorrect in Miami. :lol:

My concern with Monaco isn't so much to do with the car... I think it is more to do with Charles himself. Charles' run at home has been... quick, but accident prone. Could be a good opportunity for Sainz to rise up and snag the win... if Red Bull isn't the absolute team to beat there.