2022 Alpine F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
User avatar
JordanMugen
68
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:36 pm

Re: 2022 Alpine F1 Team

Post

continuum16 wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:27 am
If you’re Alpine; take Ricciardo.
Similar to Ferrari, Alpine's perception in the French media seems to be **the** single most important consideration for Alpine hence, it seems, Otmar's efforts to demonise Piastri and make clear that Alpine will seek compensation from Piastri in civil courts.

Ricciardo is not French. Gasly is French. On that basis, Gasly may be the best choice for Alpine as pleasing the French media is the number one priority? :?:

Edit - Victor Martins from F3 is another option. The (crucially French) Alpine junior has a superlicense and some say he is just as fast or faster than Piastri.

User avatar
continuum16
28
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:35 pm
Location: Kansas

Re: 2022 Alpine F1 Team

Post

JordanMugen wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:22 pm
continuum16 wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:27 am
If you’re Alpine; take Ricciardo.
Similar to Ferrari, Alpine's perception in the French media seems to be **the** single most important consideration for Alpine hence, it seems, Otmar's efforts to demonise Piastri and make clear that Alpine will seek compensation from Piastri in civil courts.

Ricciardo is not French. Gasly is French. On that basis, Gasly may be the best choice for Alpine as pleasing the French media is the number one priority? :?:

Edit - Victor Martins from F3 is another option. The (crucially French) Alpine junior has a superlicense and some say he is just as fast or faster than Piastri.
I guess if they're going French or bust, then Gasly, the driver their current driver views most unfavorably, is the only realistic option. Unless you steal Pourchaire from Sauber? I mean, Martins hasn't even driven in F2 let alone F1, even in practice or testing.

Admittedly I'm not French or even European so I don't know what the "local" perception of Alpine is, but I didn't expect the extreme nationalism angle. I mean both Piastri and Doohan, their two highest-ranking junior drivers are Australian, so I don't know what they are doing. On the basis of their actions, they don't either.
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

Ground Effect
Ground Effect
14
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:39 am

Re: 2022 Alpine F1 Team

Post

Why would Red Bull/Alpha Tauri allow Gasly go to Alpine?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

politburo
politburo
1
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:46 am

Re: 2022 Alpine F1 Team

Post

JordanMugen wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:22 pm
continuum16 wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:27 am
If you’re Alpine; take Ricciardo.
Similar to Ferrari, Alpine's perception in the French media seems to be **the** single most important consideration for Alpine hence, it seems, Otmar's efforts to demonise Piastri and make clear that Alpine will seek compensation from Piastri in civil courts.

Ricciardo is not French. Gasly is French. On that basis, Gasly may be the best choice for Alpine as pleasing the French media is the number one priority? :?:

Edit - Victor Martins from F3 is another option. The (crucially French) Alpine junior has a superlicense and some say he is just as fast or faster than Piastri.
F3 to F1 is a huge risk. But Jack Doohan has enough points for a super license and despite his terrible reliability and some unfortunate race circumstances he has 20% of the pole positions in F2 as a rookie, and is fastest based on supertimes.
"Nosotros diferimos, pero nosotros todos son iguales"

AR3-GP
AR3-GP
70
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:22 am

Re: 2022 Alpine F1 Team

Post

ringo wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:46 am
Otmar says he has 14 drivers asking for a seat. Are we still thinking Alpines loses? 8)
Drivers are a dime a dozen. Only 20 F1 seats in the whole world.
You are correct that drivers are a dime a dozen. Latifi could drive for anyone...

However, truly great drivers can be once or twice in a generation.

User avatar
diffuser
158
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:55 pm
Location: Montreal

Re: 2022 Alpine F1 Team

Post

Ground Effect wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:10 pm
Why would Red Bull/Alpha Tauri allow Gasly go to Alpine?
Pretty certain that Gasely is free to leave minus the new 1 year contract he sighed. That contract may have an out clause.

User avatar
PlatinumZealot
506
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:45 am

Re: 2022 Alpine F1 Team

Post

The Prodigy wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:11 pm
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:10 pm
Ocon has been released long ago.
I thought that Ocon is still “managed” by Mercedes/Toto?
Maybe by Toto. But no Mercedes link.

That man has never done any promotion work after signing for Renault and never wore a Mercedes T-shirt nor appear on any mercedes listing.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌

====Zen level====
|||||||<@>||^||<@>|||||||

Enstone
Enstone
29
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:20 pm
Location: Malaga/Paris

Re: 2022 Alpine F1 Team

Post

diffuser wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:34 pm
Ground Effect wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:10 pm
Why would Red Bull/Alpha Tauri allow Gasly go to Alpine?
Pretty certain that Gasely is free to leave minus the new 1 year contract he sighed. That contract may have an out clause.
That's what i've read there's an option in his contract wich allow him to leave AT but only for a team with a better ranking at the constructors championship !
So Alpine can be an option for him !

There's no many valuable options left : Gasly - Ricciardo or Hulkenberg (wich is familiar to Otmar during all these years at Force India).

I've noticed 2 mistakes since Rossi is here :

1) To give Ocon a 3 years contract, you never do that... how can you put pressure on him now ?
2) Don't have the balls to say No to Alonso or Yes to Piastri !!!
Go Ricci !

JPower
JPower
35
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:06 am

Re: 2022 Alpine F1 Team

Post

Enstone wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:53 am

1) To give Ocon a 3 years contract, you never do that... how can you put pressure on him now ?
Put his childhood rival in the other seat. 8)

User avatar
ringo
204
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:57 am

Re: 2022 Alpine F1 Team

Post

They may not take Ricciardo.
Mclaren would have to pay him 21 million to not drive next year.

If he does drive and get a salary, then he would have to give back/ or leave Mclaren the difference.

I think Alpine will refrain from taking back Ricciardo just to spite Mclaren. If they take him it will make things look good for Mclaren.

They will just take someone else. Shumacher is an option. Ferrari isnt impressed with Mick.
For Sure!!

JPower
JPower
35
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:06 am

Re: 2022 Alpine F1 Team

Post

ringo wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:42 am
They may not take Ricciardo.
Mclaren would have to pay him 21 million to not drive next year.

If he does drive and get a salary, then he would have to give back/ or leave Mclaren the difference.

I think Alpine will refrain from taking back Ricciardo just to spite Mclaren. If they take him it will make things look good for Mclaren.

They will just take someone else. Shumacher is an option. Ferrari isnt impressed with Mick.
Good point. Why do them a favor by taking DR off their hands? Especially after stealing their driver of the future.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect
14
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:39 am

Re: 2022 Alpine F1 Team

Post

ringo wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:42 am
They may not take Ricciardo.
Mclaren would have to pay him 21 million to not drive next year.

If he does drive and get a salary, then he would have to give back/ or leave Mclaren the difference.

I think Alpine will refrain from taking back Ricciardo just to spite Mclaren. If they take him it will make things look good for Mclaren.

They will just take someone else. Shumacher is an option. Ferrari isnt impressed with Mick.
I don’t know if Alpine have the luxury of spiting McLaren, or should even go down that route. Schumacher hasn’t impressed Ferrari, but Alpine should take him, as a replacement for Fernando? Is he good enough for Alpines’s ambitions to lead the midfield and get closer to the top 3? Alpine need to put the best available driver in their car, whoever it is, that’s what they should concentrate on, not spiting McLaren. Besides, all these speculations about how much McLaren would need to pay and the mechanism being published by journalists is likely guess work. Nobody really knows the state of play, how did they arrive at that figure?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

User avatar
ringo
204
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:57 am

Re: 2022 Alpine F1 Team

Post

Ground Effect wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:54 am
ringo wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:42 am
They may not take Ricciardo.
Mclaren would have to pay him 21 million to not drive next year.

If he does drive and get a salary, then he would have to give back/ or leave Mclaren the difference.

I think Alpine will refrain from taking back Ricciardo just to spite Mclaren. If they take him it will make things look good for Mclaren.

They will just take someone else. Shumacher is an option. Ferrari isnt impressed with Mick.
I don’t know if Alpine have the luxury of spiting McLaren, or should even go down that route. Schumacher hasn’t impressed Ferrari, but Alpine should take him, as a replacement for Fernando? Is he good enough for Alpines’s ambitions to lead the midfield and get closer to the top 3? Alpine need to put the best available driver in their car, whoever it is, that’s what they should concentrate on, not spiting McLaren. Besides, all these speculations about how much McLaren would need to pay and the mechanism being published by journalists is likely guess work. Nobody really knows the state of play, how did they arrive at that figure?
Ricciardo is washed up. He's not on Alonso's level. And even Alonso himself cannot work magic to take the car beyond where it is. Hence his lack of podiums this year, or even lack of P-4's. He is in no man's land and Lando is still getting the better of him. So I think it doesn't matter how great the driver is. Once the car is better an average driver with experience should be good enough to put it where it belongs.
Newey once said his ideal driver is a 40kg sack of potatoes. Basically build a very good car and a driver can give the performance.
Gasly is a better bet than Ricciardo. I am sure he is faster over a lap at the moment. Mick is improving a lot, and seems to be quick over a lap; now that he is used to the car.
Hate to say it but Ricciardo may be sitting out for a year, or driving a Williams. And he doesn't have enough money to pay Williams for a seat, unless he brings some big sponsors.
For Sure!!

Ground Effect
Ground Effect
14
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:39 am

Re: 2022 Alpine F1 Team

Post

ringo wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:03 am
Ground Effect wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:54 am
ringo wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:42 am
They may not take Ricciardo.
Mclaren would have to pay him 21 million to not drive next year.

If he does drive and get a salary, then he would have to give back/ or leave Mclaren the difference.

I think Alpine will refrain from taking back Ricciardo just to spite Mclaren. If they take him it will make things look good for Mclaren.

They will just take someone else. Shumacher is an option. Ferrari isnt impressed with Mick.
I don’t know if Alpine have the luxury of spiting McLaren, or should even go down that route. Schumacher hasn’t impressed Ferrari, but Alpine should take him, as a replacement for Fernando? Is he good enough for Alpines’s ambitions to lead the midfield and get closer to the top 3? Alpine need to put the best available driver in their car, whoever it is, that’s what they should concentrate on, not spiting McLaren. Besides, all these speculations about how much McLaren would need to pay and the mechanism being published by journalists is likely guess work. Nobody really knows the state of play, how did they arrive at that figure?
Ricciardo is washed up. He's not on Alonso's level. And even Alonso himself cannot work magic to take the car beyond where it is. Hence his lack of podiums this year, or even lack of P-4's. He is in no man's land and Lando is still getting the better of him. So I think it doesn't matter how great the driver is. Once the car is better an average driver with experience should be good enough to put it where it belongs.
Newey once said his ideal driver is a 40kg sack of potatoes. Basically build a very good car and a driver can give the performance.
Gasly is a better bet than Ricciardo. I am sure he is faster over a lap at the moment. Mick is improving a lot, and seems to be quick over a lap; now that he is used to the car.
Hate to say it but Ricciardo may be sitting out for a year, or driving a Williams. And he doesn't have enough money to pay Williams for a seat, unless he brings some big sponsors.
I agree on most points, I just don't think Mick is a good enough option, to be fair, I'm not advocating for Daniel either. The Alpine is quick on it's day, and we can't ignore the fact that Fernando has had some bad luck this season. I doubt anyone at Alpine is unimpressed by his 2022 performance. They were happy to put him in the car for 2023, the problem both parties had was beyond 2023.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

User avatar
organic
140
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:24 am
Location: Cambridge, UK

Re: 2022 Alpine F1 Team

Post

Gasly leaving makes no sense for RB at this point. Their current junior crop has failed essentially & if Perez or Max get ill/injured etc then Gasly is a good stand-in

Plus Marko has denied even the existence of the get-out clause (but ofc take it with handful of salt): "There is no exit clause for Gasly. There was none before the summer break and there will be none after the summer break,"

Doubt he will leave the RB family this year.

Ricciardo, Pourchaire seem the most realistic imo