2022 Alpine F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
djos

Re: 2022 Alpine F1 Team

Otmar really needs to stop with the “we spent millions” on Oscar rubbish. His manager confirmed that only 20% of his junior racing budget came from Alpine.

https://apple.news/AJp_p24NhRfyAqvqi07TOig
"In downforce we trust"

diffuser

djos wrote:
06 Sep 2022, 03:28
Otmar really needs to stop with the “we spent millions” on Oscar rubbish. His manager confirmed that only 20% of his junior racing budget came from Alpine.

https://apple.news/AJp_p24NhRfyAqvqi07TOig
That's BS article. It doesn't mention anywhere that Otmar said that again. He hasn't said that since SPA. It's Webber commenting on something Otmar said a while ago and I'm not even sure when that quote from Webber was taken. it was probably taken in the SPA GP time as well.

It's obvious that the people that were dealing with Piastri's contract (not Otmar) were willing to let Piastri go and were only willing to give Alonso a 1 year contract.
NOTE - I'm not saying that those 2 choices are either good or bad, just stating it as a fact.

Why they kept Otmar in the dark is beyond me. Probably reflects a broken structure at Alpine.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

All I see is a broken management structure. Otmar was not involved in Alonso negotiations. Unfathomable. Otmar was not even here when the Piastri heads of terms was put on the table. Otmar was probably being misled like a cattle to a slaughter by Rossi. Despite this fact, he acts like he was involved in all and bad mouthed everybody. I don't get it.

Redragon

I think Otmar should start to focus on the next driver to come and be silent otherwise whoever is coming is going to feel unwelcome because he is going to feel like the last choice they had. I will suggest to Otmar accept the outcome and focus on building the future instead of what could have been?

continuum16

Redragon wrote:
06 Sep 2022, 20:44
I think Otmar should start to focus on the next driver to come and be silent otherwise whoever is coming is going to feel unwelcome because he is going to feel like the last choice they had. I will suggest to Otmar accept the outcome and focus on building the future instead of what could have been?
I think the team's "we accept the CRB decision and will move on" statement does exactly this. Clearly there's some game of telephone going on between de Meo, Rossi, Otmar, the drivers, and the press, and we probably won't know what really happened until after the season, if ever.

The team's executing on track (compared to their direct rivals at least) and with only Haas and Williams remaining, holds the most leverage in the driver market. If they want Gasly, then that's on the FIA it sounds like. If not, they can get whoever they want; nobody else is going anywhere.
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

Cs98
Cs98

Redragon wrote:
The damage has already been done to his and Alpine's image. Ironically, Otmar's "lack of integrity" accusations impugned his own integrity.

diffuser

Cs98 wrote:
06 Sep 2022, 21:26
Redragon wrote:
The damage has already been done to his and Alpine's image. Ironically, Otmar's "lack of integrity" accusations impugned his own integrity.
I disagree that any damage has been done that has any lasting impression. Pretty certain that any driver outside of the top 3 teams would jump at driving for Alpine, well with the exception of McLaren drivers and Alonso.

F1since1980
F1since1980

So much negative press - PlantF1, the Race, YouTube channels all pretty much making Oscar out to be a victim...

I find it ironic that no media outlet points out the fact that both Oscar and Webber knew exactly what Alpine's driver situation was back in November, when they signed a NONBINDING TERM SHEET. They had no contract ties with Alpine at that point, did they? Wasn't Oscar a free man after the end of his Championship last year since there was no real contract signed by either party, right? They could have done what they wanted. Alonso was already signed for 2022 (done in August of last year), Ocon through 2024. Anyone with half a brain could see that Alonso was probably going to be extended if he did a good job in 2022. All this was not new to Oscar and Webber so why cry foul?

So, if Alpine was lacking an available seat for Oscar in 2022 and possibly 2023 and beyond. Why did these two guys bother to agree to sign up as a reserve driver for 2022? Why not say - sorry mate, that is just not good enough for this super star and we need to find him a firm seat for 2022, or at the very latest 2023, so we need to keep looking, we thank you for your support over the years, but we need to do what is best for Oscar and will pass on that reserve seat. Thank you very much.
Isn't Mark Webber now a bigtime driver manager? Doesn't he have some major connections? (I am joking of course). Alpine never promised this kid a seat at Alpine in 2023 - just the possibility if Alonso did not resign. You can't tell me otherwise and these guys knew it.

When I read that Oscar was feeling down and disillusioned by Alpine not getting him that seat for next year... He friggen knew that was a real possibility back in November - yet again he still took the deal.
Why not call out both Webber and Oscar on this very point and ask them both directly:
Well guys, why did you agree to join them in the first place if they could not guarantee you a seat? Did you not have any other options? So, you took the deal anyway... hmm.
Or:
Why did you not specify a set date to Alpine as to when they needed to find you a seat for 2023 or all bets are off? Can't you negotiate that in?

Otmar called out a "lack of integrity", because this kid - knowing the driver situation at Alpine, still took the deal and had Alpine spend quite a few quid on his 3,500 km practice drives on all these different tracks, with the assumption that they had options on him through 2024. Unfortunately, these idiots as we know forgot to get a real signature on a valid contract - dumb asses.

Otmar's remarks and answers at the questions asked of him during the TP press conference were pathetic. The guy has no backbone to stand up to all those truth twisting journalists. In my opinion, this is what he should have said:

Back in November of last year, Oscar and Mark Webber where fully aware of our driver situation at Alpine going forward, yet they agreed to a reserve driver role knowing our driver seat situation was quite complicated with Alonso on board and Ocon signed through 2024. Yet they signed anyway. They should have told us they signed something on July 4th with McLaren. Had they told us back in July, we certainly would not have announced Oscar's signing in August until this matter was properly sorted out. Ok the CRB sorted the matter out and we came up on the wrong end, so be it. But Oscar and Webber are clearly trying to spin a positive - we are the victims narrative at our expense and I won't stand for it. Again, I want to confirm we knew nothing about a July 4th agreement. Why hide that from us after all the miles this kid has done at our expense. And why don't you guys ask Andreas Seidl and Zac Brown why they talk out of both sides of their mouths: secretly signing Oscar on July 4th and holding press conferences in the middle of that month supporting Daniel for next year. I find that appalling and that to me that lacks integrity and I am entitled to my opinion on that. One has to wonder if all of this was not done on purpose to set us up - Yes, I said that - You can't help but wonder, especially when Oscar, Webber, Zac and Andreas knew we were still negotiating with Alonso. But OK, it might be a bit too far-fetched to think that, but our direct competition seems to be a bit on the back foot compared to last year. So, is it? I will leave it at that - End of press conference

Ok, yes and Otmar would never be welcomed again at Mclaren and that's why I am not a TP.

But come o man - STAND UP FOR YOUR TEAM, you are the Team Principle, and the media is having a field day with your sorry ass.

Ok I expect you guys to roast me over this one, but I had to get it off my chest. Don't be too harsh :D

Stig14
Stig14

F1since1980 wrote:
07 Sep 2022, 07:48

They should have told us they signed something on July 4th with McLaren. Had they told us back in July, we certainly would not have announced Oscar's signing in August until this matter was properly sorted out. Ok the CRB sorted the matter out and we came up on the wrong end, so be it. But Oscar and Webber are clearly trying to spin a positive - we are the victims narrative at our expense and I won't stand for it. Again, I want to confirm we knew nothing about a July 4th agreement. Why hide that from us after all the miles this kid has done at our expense. And why don't you guys ask Andreas Seidl and Zac Brown why they talk out of both sides of their mouths: secretly signing Oscar on July 4th and holding press conferences in the middle of that month supporting Daniel for next year. I find that appalling and that to me that lacks integrity and I am entitled to my opinion on that.
Generally I think the way the whole saga has been reported has done damage to all involved but now we know the facts, we need to be more subjective. Both Oscar and Otmar have acknowledged that Piastri's team did let Alpine know about their contract signed with McLaren on 4th July but Alpine still announced Oscar because they believed they had something watertight with him. We now know they didn't and simply mismanaged the situation by announcing him anyway. As for your point on McLaren's management of this, both Daniel and Andreas have said that they've been talking for months and that Daniel was aware that they were talking to other drivers about the seat. Daniel was privy to the exact details (as one would expect) but he knew they were talking to possible replacements. McLaren genuinely wanted and have tried to make their time with Daniel work but it simply hasn't and shows no signs of improvement. The initial contract with Oscar was for a reserve role in 23 with the possibility of a drive should Daniel not improve. Daniel did not improve (and has still not improved) and so the option to make Oscar a McLaren driver was taken up. You'll notice there is no animosity between Daniel and McLaren coming out in the same way there has between Fernando and Alpine since the announcements of parting of ways.

Stig14
Stig14

Stig14 wrote:
07 Sep 2022, 08:17
F1since1980 wrote:

They should have told us they signed something on July 4th with McLaren. Had they told us back in July, we certainly would not have announced Oscar's signing in August until this matter was properly sorted out. Ok the CRB sorted the matter out and we came up on the wrong end, so be it. But Oscar and Webber are clearly trying to spin a positive - we are the victims narrative at our expense and I won't stand for it. Again, I want to confirm we knew nothing about a July 4th agreement. Why hide that from us after all the miles this kid has done at our expense. And why don't you guys ask Andreas Seidl and Zac Brown why they talk out of both sides of their mouths: secretly signing Oscar on July 4th and holding press conferences in the middle of that month supporting Daniel for next year. I find that appalling and that to me that lacks integrity and I am entitled to my opinion on that.
Generally I think the way the whole saga has been reported has done damage to all involved but now we know the facts, we need to be more subjective. Both Oscar and Otmar have acknowledged that Piastri's team did let Alpine know about their contract signed with McLaren on 4th July but Alpine still announced Oscar because they believed they had something watertight with him. We now know they didn't and simply mismanaged the situation by announcing him anyway. As for your point on McLaren's management of this, both Daniel and Andreas have said that they've been talking for months and that Daniel was aware that they were talking to other drivers about the seat. Daniel was not privy to the exact details (as one would expect) but he knew they were talking to possible replacements. McLaren genuinely wanted and have tried to make their time with Daniel work but it simply hasn't and shows no signs of improvement. The initial contract with Oscar was for a reserve role in 23 with the possibility of a drive should Daniel not improve. Daniel did not improve (and has still not improved) and so the option to make Oscar a McLaren driver was taken up. You'll notice there is no animosity between Daniel and McLaren coming out in the same way there has between Fernando and Alpine since the announcements of parting of ways.

djos

F1since1980 wrote:
So much negative press - PlantF1, the Race, YouTube channels all pretty much making Oscar out to be a victim...

I find it ironic that no media outlet points out the fact that both Oscar and Webber knew exactly what Alpine's driver situation was back in November, when they signed a NONBINDING TERM SHEET. They had no contract ties with Alpine at that point, did they?
Do you have any idea how corporate contracts work? Your writings suggest no!

A heads of agreement or non-binding term sheet is simply an agreement to work towards a common goal and explore creating a binding contract that both parties could eventually sign.

Alpine failed repeatedly to provide Oscar’s management with a binding contract, despite repeated requests to do so!

This Charlie Foxtrot was entirely avoidable and is entirely on Alpine’s head.
"In downforce we trust"

peewon

F1since1980 wrote:

I find it ironic that no media outlet points out the fact that both Oscar and Webber knew exactly what Alpine's driver situation was back in November, when they signed a NONBINDING TERM SHEET. They had no contract ties with Alpine at that point, did they? Wasn't Oscar a free man after the end of his Championship last year since there was no real contract signed by either party, right? They could have done what they wanted. Alonso was already signed for 2022 (done in August of last year), Ocon through 2024. Anyone with half a brain could see that Alonso was probably going to be extended if he did a good job in 2022. All this was not new to Oscar and Webber so why cry foul?

So, if Alpine was lacking an available seat for Oscar in 2022 and possibly 2023 and beyond. Why did these two guys bother to agree to sign up as a reserve driver for 2022? Why not say - sorry mate, that is just not good enough for this super star and we need to find him a firm seat for 2022, or at the very latest 2023, so we need to keep looking, we thank you for your support over the years, but we need to do what is best for Oscar and will pass on that reserve seat. Thank you very much.
Isn't Mark Webber now a bigtime driver manager? Doesn't he have some major connections? (I am joking of course). Alpine never promised this kid a seat at Alpine in 2023 - just the possibility if Alonso did not resign. You can't tell me otherwise and these guys knew it.

When I read that Oscar was feeling down and disillusioned by Alpine not getting him that seat for next year... He friggen knew that was a real possibility back in November - yet again he still took the deal.
Why not call out both Webber and Oscar on this very point and ask them both directly:
Well guys, why did you agree to join them in the first place if they could not guarantee you a seat? Did you not have any other options? So, you took the deal anyway... hmm.
Or:
Why did you not specify a set date to Alpine as to when they needed to find you a seat for 2023 or all bets are off? Can't you negotiate that in?

Otmar called out a "lack of integrity", because this kid - knowing the driver situation at Alpine, still took the deal and had Alpine spend quite a few quid on his 3,500 km practice drives on all these different tracks, with the assumption that they had options on him through 2024. Unfortunately, these idiots as we know forgot to get a real signature on a valid contract - dumb asses.

Otmar's remarks and answers at the questions asked of him during the TP press conference were pathetic. The guy has no backbone to stand up to all those truth twisting journalists. In my opinion, this is what he should have said:

Back in November of last year, Oscar and Mark Webber where fully aware of our driver situation at Alpine going forward, yet they agreed to a reserve driver role knowing our driver seat situation was quite complicated with Alonso on board and Ocon signed through 2024. Yet they signed anyway. They should have told us they signed something on July 4th with McLaren. Had they told us back in July, we certainly would not have announced Oscar's signing in August until this matter was properly sorted out. Ok the CRB sorted the matter out and we came up on the wrong end, so be it. But Oscar and Webber are clearly trying to spin a positive - we are the victims narrative at our expense and I won't stand for it. Again, I want to confirm we knew nothing about a July 4th agreement. Why hide that from us after all the miles this kid has done at our expense. And why don't you guys ask Andreas Seidl and Zac Brown why they talk out of both sides of their mouths: secretly signing Oscar on July 4th and holding press conferences in the middle of that month supporting Daniel for next year. I find that appalling and that to me that lacks integrity and I am entitled to my opinion on that. One has to wonder if all of this was not done on purpose to set us up - Yes, I said that - You can't help but wonder, especially when Oscar, Webber, Zac and Andreas knew we were still negotiating with Alonso. But OK, it might be a bit too far-fetched to think that, but our direct competition seems to be a bit on the back foot compared to last year. So, is it? I will leave it at that - End of press conference

Ok, yes and Otmar would never be welcomed again at Mclaren and that's why I am not a TP.

But come o man - STAND UP FOR YOUR TEAM, you are the Team Principle, and the media is having a field day with your sorry ass.

Ok I expect you guys to roast me over this one, but I had to get it off my chest. Don't be too harsh :D
I mean this is easily answerable if one bothered to read the CRB report
Alpine believed a 2022/23 'Terms Sheet' dated in November 2021 constituted a "valid contract between Piastri and Alpine for the purposes of a race driver role in the 2023 and 2024 F1 seasons," RacingNews365.com understands.

However, this was only the "intended" starting point for negotiations, with the Piastri camp being informed by Alpine CEO Laurent Rossi that contracts would be exchanged within 10 business days of 15th November 2021.

This deadline came and went with Webber growing frustrated by Alpine not sending the documents over, telling Director of Legal Affairs Benedicte Mercer that "there are so many times can tell Mr Piastri and his father that 'it's coming'".

In response to this, Mercer stated that she was "the bottleneck" due to a lack of legal resources at the team.

After nothing happened in January, Mercer wrote to Webber in February 2022 stating that she felt like: "I am in the spin cycle of a washing machine" and that "things should ease off after the launch - which means I can pick things up right where I left off on Oscar's contract."

By March 2022, days before the season-opening Bahrain Grand Prix, Piastri did not have a contract with Alpine - either for his 2022 reserve driver duties or a race seat. This reserve deal was lodged with the CRB on March 14th, but did not feature any extension beyond December 31st for a potential race seat with Alpine.

Piastri received this contract through his lawyers on March 15th, with Mercer stating that this was "an emergency measure" with the season starting just four days later, and no reserve driver agreement in place.

Without a contract in place, Piastri could not be granted a super licence for his reserve position, which Mercer was aware of.

So instead of copping up to their own incompetence, they decide to

a) decide to anounce Piastri as their driver despite knowing fully well they don't have a contract with him and that he's already signed with McLaren.

b) repeatedly question the integrity of a young driver when they were completely in the wrong

As for Otmar...

Alpine team principal Otmar Szafnauer claimed he had told Piastri of the team’s announcement for 2023 while he was on the team’s simulator and that the Australian “smiled and was thankful”.

“It was done publicly in front of some members of the team who were oblivious to the situation and I didn’t want to cause a scene in front of them. Once we were in private, I told Otmar what our position was and what he had been told multiple times before that. It was very surprising to me to make that announcement.”

And that's why Otmar is getting the flak.

Big Tea

F1since1980 wrote:
Like all news now, facts have little to do with it, it is 'human interest' that is the whole point and a young driver is more human than a nasty old rich team
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

djos

Autosport have a great timeline of events. It’s 100% on Alpine for cocking this up.

"In downforce we trust"

diffuser

djos wrote:
07 Sep 2022, 14:17
Autosport have a great timeline of events. It’s 100% on Alpine for cocking this up.

I'm sure it is and I'm not sure why we care anymore? It's over let's move on.