2022 Alpine F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Cs98
Cs98

Re: 2022 Alpine F1 Team

diffuser wrote:
06 Sep 2022, 22:41
Cs98 wrote:
06 Sep 2022, 21:26
Redragon wrote:
06 Sep 2022, 20:44
I think Otmar should start to focus on the next driver to come and be silent otherwise whoever is coming is going to feel unwelcome because he is going to feel like the last choice they had. I will suggest to Otmar accept the outcome and focus on building the future instead of what could have been?
The damage has already been done to his and Alpine's image. Ironically, Otmar's "lack of integrity" accusations impugned his own integrity.
I disagree that any damage has been done that has any lasting impression. Pretty certain that any driver outside of the top 3 teams would jump at driving for Alpine, well with the exception of McLaren drivers and Alonso.
Well you say that but Alonso and Piastri just gave them the cold shoulder. I don't doubt that they can find decent drivers willing to go there, but their image has taken some punishment recently. And Otmar IMO has left a very bad impression. Saying Piastri has a lack of integrity, saying they had a solid contract, and ambushing him with an announcement in the simulator with out of the loop team personnel present when he had informed them he was leaving. Just low blows across the board.

djos

diffuser wrote:
07 Sep 2022, 14:22
djos wrote:
07 Sep 2022, 14:17
Autosport have a great timeline of events. It’s 100% on Alpine for cocking this up.

I'm sure it is and I'm not sure why we care anymore? It's over let's move on.
Just a response to the wall of text from mister 1980.
"In downforce we trust"

diffuser

Cs98 wrote:
07 Sep 2022, 14:26
diffuser wrote:
Cs98 wrote:
06 Sep 2022, 21:26

The damage has already been done to his and Alpine's image. Ironically, Otmar's "lack of integrity" accusations impugned his own integrity.
I disagree that any damage has been done that has any lasting impression. Pretty certain that any driver outside of the top 3 teams would jump at driving for Alpine, well with the exception of McLaren drivers and Alonso.
Well you say that but Alonso and Piastri just gave them the cold shoulder. I don't doubt that they can find decent drivers willing to go there, but their image has taken some punishment recently. And Otmar IMO has left a very bad impression. Saying Piastri has a lack of integrity, saying they had a solid contract, and ambushing him with an announcement in the simulator with out of the loop team personnel present when he had informed them he was leaving. Just low blows across the board.
Yet Gasly can barely contain himself.

diffuser

djos wrote:
07 Sep 2022, 14:36
diffuser wrote:
07 Sep 2022, 14:22
djos wrote:
07 Sep 2022, 14:17
Autosport have a great timeline of events. It’s 100% on Alpine for cocking this up.

I'm sure it is and I'm not sure why we care anymore? It's over let's move on.
Just a response to the wall of text from mister 1980.
Sorry, I didn't mean that to just you.

Really Strange, I would have figured this to be true during the summer break but between race weekends....

Cs98
Cs98

diffuser wrote:
07 Sep 2022, 16:02
Cs98 wrote:
diffuser wrote:

Red Bull's sloppy seconds. Not exactly christmas, is it?

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Cs98 wrote:
07 Sep 2022, 16:13
diffuser wrote:
Cs98 wrote:

That's a bit harsh. Look at what Albon does in the Williams. A different car and change of scene can change a driver for better (or worse...)

diffuser

AR3-GP wrote:
07 Sep 2022, 16:15
Cs98 wrote:
diffuser wrote:

That's a bit harsh. Look at what Albon does in the Williams. A different car and change of scene can change a driver for better (or worse...)
Look at Sainz.

It all depends on what they do from here. Do they close the gap to the top 3 next year? Do they increase the spread between itself and the midfield? or do the fall down and get over taken by the likes of McLaren and AMR? All that will effect if they can pick the best drivers.

Cs98
Cs98

AR3-GP wrote:
Cs98 wrote:
diffuser wrote:

Sure, they're all decent drivers. The point is Alpine isn't attracting talent to match its performance as the 4th best team IMO. Their nr 1 driver should be on the level of an Alonso, not Gasly/Ocon.

diffuser

Cs98 wrote:
07 Sep 2022, 16:38
AR3-GP wrote:
Cs98 wrote:

Sure, they're all decent drivers. The point is Alpine isn't attracting talent to match its performance as the 4th best team IMO. Their nr 1 driver should be on the level of an Alonso, not Gasly/Ocon.
They made a choice with Alonso, one I don't agree with. There is nobody else to be had out there. You're not gonna be able to drag Hamilton or Russell from Merc or Norris from McLaren if you don't step it up into the top 3. Nor will McLaren be able to keep Norris if they keep giving him a 5th place car. I have my doubts Alpine can do it WITHOUT Alonso but that doesn't change their job at hand.

F1since1980
F1since1980

Stig14 wrote:
07 Sep 2022, 08:17
F1since1980 wrote:
07 Sep 2022, 07:48

They should have told us they signed something on July 4th with McLaren. Had they told us back in July, we certainly would not have announced Oscar's signing in August until this matter was properly sorted out. Ok the CRB sorted the matter out and we came up on the wrong end, so be it. But Oscar and Webber are clearly trying to spin a positive - we are the victims narrative at our expense and I won't stand for it. Again, I want to confirm we knew nothing about a July 4th agreement. Why hide that from us after all the miles this kid has done at our expense. And why don't you guys ask Andreas Seidl and Zac Brown why they talk out of both sides of their mouths: secretly signing Oscar on July 4th and holding press conferences in the middle of that month supporting Daniel for next year. I find that appalling and that to me that lacks integrity and I am entitled to my opinion on that.
Generally I think the way the whole saga has been reported has done damage to all involved but now we know the facts, we need to be more subjective. Both Oscar and Otmar have acknowledged that Piastri's team did let Alpine know about their contract signed with McLaren on 4th July but Alpine still announced Oscar because they believed they had something watertight with him. We now know they didn't and simply mismanaged the situation by announcing him anyway. As for your point on McLaren's management of this, both Daniel and Andreas have said that they've been talking for months and that Daniel was aware that they were talking to other drivers about the seat. Daniel was privy to the exact details (as one would expect) but he knew they were talking to possible replacements. McLaren genuinely wanted and have tried to make their time with Daniel work but it simply hasn't and shows no signs of improvement. The initial contract with Oscar was for a reserve role in 23 with the possibility of a drive should Daniel not improve. Daniel did not improve (and has still not improved) and so the option to make Oscar a McLaren driver was taken up. You'll notice there is no animosity between Daniel and McLaren coming out in the same way there has between Fernando and Alpine since the announcements of parting of ways.
Can you tell me when Otmar confirmed that Oscar told him he signed on July 4th? I did not read that anywhere. I have posted a copy from the TP press conference in Holland when Otmar was asked directly about the July 4th signing his response, this is from the official F1 website:

Q: (Adam Cooper – motorsport.com) Question for Otmar. Obviously this July 4th date for the McLaren contract emerged yesterday. Can you clarify when you found out about it? When did Mark or Oscar tell you what was going on? Did you have any direct contact with McLaren? And secondly, at that time, what was the situation with Williams? Was Oscar walking away from a definite offer to go to Williams? Or was all that also up in the air? Was he thinking he was going to have another year on the sidelines if Fernando stayed?

OS: So as you can imagine, at that point in time, there were some rumours. So, it's not like we were oblivious to it. However, to answer your question, the Fourth of July date was made apparent when we had our submissions to the CRB. So that was a few days ago.

rumors and not an actual July 4th confirmation communicated to the team - either Otmar is lying or Oscar and Mark are lying. There are further questions asked about this and if anyone is interested in reading them - especially the sim room incident, etc.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... qyZCs.html

Planetf1, The Race, likes to just pull certain points from these press conferences and spin a nice story around them and to me the interviews put out by Mark and Oscar were obviously done in an attempt to clear his image, which seems to be working.

Regarding Daniel, he pretty much confirmed that he was in the dark on the July 4th contract date and was unaware of what was going on. Please read, this is from Planetf:

https://www.planetf1.com/news/daniel-ri ... ri-timing/
Daniel Ricciardo insists he was unsure about the timing of McLaren’s negotiations with Oscar Piastri, who has now been confirmed as his fellow Australian’s replacement at the team.
:

The FIA’s Contract Recognition Board has ruled in McLaren’s favour regarding their dispute with Alpine over Piastri’s future.

The Formula 2 champion had shot down Alpine’s announcement that he would replace Aston Martin-bound Fernando Alonso, those events occurring within the space of a couple of hours on August 2.

That was almost three weeks after Ricciardo himself had stated he was “committed to McLaren until the end of next year” in a social media post of his own, while on July 24 team principal Andreas Seidl had said in direct response to a question about Ricciardo and 2023: “He is committed, we are committed from our side, so just need to keep working hard together.”

However, the FIA’s statement of what the Contract Recognition Board had decided said: “The Tribunal has issued a Unanimous Decision that the only Contract to be recognised by the Board is the Contract between McLaren Racing Limited and Mr Piastri dated 4 July 2022.”

That was the day after the British Grand Prix and nine days before Ricciardo, who has endured a disappointing season-and-a-half since joining McLaren, had pledged his commitment to the team.

So how much did the 33-year-old know about what was going on between McLaren and Piastri?

“To be honest, on the date, that’s the first I’ve heard,” Ricciardo told Sky Italy on free practice day for the Dutch Grand Prix at Zandvoort.

“I’m not aware of obviously timelines and this and that, what the team is discussing.

“To be honest, already, let’s say before that date, let’s say months, we were already discussing, not my future, but of course where we can improve to try to have a better future with the team.

“So I’m aware there was going to be talks ongoing. In terms of timelines, I guess what the team does, let’s say preparing Oscar, that’s not also my business in terms of what they spoke this or that.

“If that’s the case, then so be it. It’s not really my decision to make.”

I am just pointing out what I have been reading...

F1since1980
F1since1980

djos wrote:
07 Sep 2022, 10:23
F1since1980 wrote:
So much negative press - PlantF1, the Race, YouTube channels all pretty much making Oscar out to be a victim...

I find it ironic that no media outlet points out the fact that both Oscar and Webber knew exactly what Alpine's driver situation was back in November, when they signed a NONBINDING TERM SHEET. They had no contract ties with Alpine at that point, did they?
Do you have any idea how corporate contracts work? Your writings suggest no!

A heads of agreement or non-binding term sheet is simply an agreement to work towards a common goal and explore creating a binding contract that both parties could eventually sign.

Alpine failed repeatedly to provide Oscar’s management with a binding contract, despite repeated requests to do so!

This Charlie Foxtrot was entirely avoidable and is entirely on Alpine’s head.
No I get that, the term sheet was not binding, but you are wrong, Alpine did put forth a contract but only in May which spelled out the terms defined in the originally term sheet in greater detail. Oscar and Mark did not sign it. The CRB apparently took offensive to Alpine taking so long to come up with one. I would assume the team was trying to figure out what to do with Alonso and concluded that they needed to make him an offer for next year and were finally ready to put something in front of Oscar and Mark to sign. This is based upon an article in The Race: https://the-race.com/formula-1/what-bun ... ng-alpine/

It is a pretty harsh article that really makes the team out to be the big bad wolves that they are, but my point was that Oscar and Mark knew the driver situation at Alpine back in November and how complex it was, yet they still agreed to take the ride. If they felt that a good faith term sheet was insufficient before an actual contract was put forth, then why agree in the first place. Explore other options.

Both parties had a responsibility in this mess.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

F1since1980 wrote:
07 Sep 2022, 19:07
djos wrote:
07 Sep 2022, 10:23
F1since1980 wrote:
So much negative press - PlantF1, the Race, YouTube channels all pretty much making Oscar out to be a victim...

I find it ironic that no media outlet points out the fact that both Oscar and Webber knew exactly what Alpine's driver situation was back in November, when they signed a NONBINDING TERM SHEET. They had no contract ties with Alpine at that point, did they?
Do you have any idea how corporate contracts work? Your writings suggest no!

A heads of agreement or non-binding term sheet is simply an agreement to work towards a common goal and explore creating a binding contract that both parties could eventually sign.

Alpine failed repeatedly to provide Oscar’s management with a binding contract, despite repeated requests to do so!

This Charlie Foxtrot was entirely avoidable and is entirely on Alpine’s head.
No I get that, the term sheet was not binding, but you are wrong, Alpine did put forth a contract but only in May which spelled out the terms defined in the originally term sheet in greater detail. Oscar and Mark did not sign it. The CRB apparently took offensive to Alpine taking so long to come up with one. I would assume the team was trying to figure out what to do with Alonso and concluded that they needed to make him an offer for next year and were finally ready to put something in front of Oscar and Mark to sign. This is based upon an article in The Race: https://the-race.com/formula-1/what-bun ... ng-alpine/

It is a pretty harsh article that really makes the team out to be the big bad wolves that they are, but my point was that Oscar and Mark knew the driver situation at Alpine back in November and how complex it was, yet they still agreed to take the ride. If they felt that a good faith term sheet was insufficient before an actual contract was put forth, then why agree in the first place. Explore other options.

Both parties had a responsibility in this mess.
How do you know they didn’t explore other options? And if they did, which ones would those have been?

There was no room on any team for 2022 back in November of last year, the only potential deal was a reserve driver role and they manage to get that… Been that all seats on the grid were taken for the current season, the only option was to look for a seat in 2023, which the deal with Alpine (or at least the intention of Alpine, since there wasn’t a contract in place) was to help Piastri get a seat not in Alpine but at Williams for the next 2 seasons and have an option on him for 2024.

Nothing wrong in how it was managed by Piastri’s Team in my book and only one party to blame on the fiasco (Alpine)… They had all the cards and they didn’t use them… And to make matters worst, they publicly played the victim card when they clearly weren’t one.

Stig14
Stig14

F1since1980 wrote:
07 Sep 2022, 18:41
Stig14 wrote:
07 Sep 2022, 08:17
F1since1980 wrote:

They should have told us they signed something on July 4th with McLaren. Had they told us back in July, we certainly would not have announced Oscar's signing in August until this matter was properly sorted out. Ok the CRB sorted the matter out and we came up on the wrong end, so be it. But Oscar and Webber are clearly trying to spin a positive - we are the victims narrative at our expense and I won't stand for it. Again, I want to confirm we knew nothing about a July 4th agreement. Why hide that from us after all the miles this kid has done at our expense. And why don't you guys ask Andreas Seidl and Zac Brown why they talk out of both sides of their mouths: secretly signing Oscar on July 4th and holding press conferences in the middle of that month supporting Daniel for next year. I find that appalling and that to me that lacks integrity and I am entitled to my opinion on that.
Generally I think the way the whole saga has been reported has done damage to all involved but now we know the facts, we need to be more subjective. Both Oscar and Otmar have acknowledged that Piastri's team did let Alpine know about their contract signed with McLaren on 4th July but Alpine still announced Oscar because they believed they had something watertight with him. We now know they didn't and simply mismanaged the situation by announcing him anyway. As for your point on McLaren's management of this, both Daniel and Andreas have said that they've been talking for months and that Daniel was aware that they were talking to other drivers about the seat. Daniel was privy to the exact details (as one would expect) but he knew they were talking to possible replacements. McLaren genuinely wanted and have tried to make their time with Daniel work but it simply hasn't and shows no signs of improvement. The initial contract with Oscar was for a reserve role in 23 with the possibility of a drive should Daniel not improve. Daniel did not improve (and has still not improved) and so the option to make Oscar a McLaren driver was taken up. You'll notice there is no animosity between Daniel and McLaren coming out in the same way there has between Fernando and Alpine since the announcements of parting of ways.
Can you tell me when Otmar confirmed that Oscar told him he signed on July 4th? I did not read that anywhere. I have posted a copy from the TP press conference in Holland when Otmar was asked directly about the July 4th signing his response, this is from the official F1 website:

Q: (Adam Cooper – motorsport.com) Question for Otmar. Obviously this July 4th date for the McLaren contract emerged yesterday. Can you clarify when you found out about it? When did Mark or Oscar tell you what was going on? Did you have any direct contact with McLaren? And secondly, at that time, what was the situation with Williams? Was Oscar walking away from a definite offer to go to Williams? Or was all that also up in the air? Was he thinking he was going to have another year on the sidelines if Fernando stayed?

OS: So as you can imagine, at that point in time, there were some rumours. So, it's not like we were oblivious to it. However, to answer your question, the Fourth of July date was made apparent when we had our submissions to the CRB. So that was a few days ago.

rumors and not an actual July 4th confirmation communicated to the team - either Otmar is lying or Oscar and Mark are lying. There are further questions asked about this and if anyone is interested in reading them - especially the sim room incident, etc.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... qyZCs.html

Planetf1, The Race, likes to just pull certain points from these press conferences and spin a nice story around them and to me the interviews put out by Mark and Oscar were obviously done in an attempt to clear his image, which seems to be working.

Regarding Daniel, he pretty much confirmed that he was in the dark on the July 4th contract date and was unaware of what was going on. Please read, this is from Planetf:

https://www.planetf1.com/news/daniel-ri ... ri-timing/
Daniel Ricciardo insists he was unsure about the timing of McLaren’s negotiations with Oscar Piastri, who has now been confirmed as his fellow Australian’s replacement at the team.
:

The FIA’s Contract Recognition Board has ruled in McLaren’s favour regarding their dispute with Alpine over Piastri’s future.

The Formula 2 champion had shot down Alpine’s announcement that he would replace Aston Martin-bound Fernando Alonso, those events occurring within the space of a couple of hours on August 2.

That was almost three weeks after Ricciardo himself had stated he was “committed to McLaren until the end of next year” in a social media post of his own, while on July 24 team principal Andreas Seidl had said in direct response to a question about Ricciardo and 2023: “He is committed, we are committed from our side, so just need to keep working hard together.”

However, the FIA’s statement of what the Contract Recognition Board had decided said: “The Tribunal has issued a Unanimous Decision that the only Contract to be recognised by the Board is the Contract between McLaren Racing Limited and Mr Piastri dated 4 July 2022.”

That was the day after the British Grand Prix and nine days before Ricciardo, who has endured a disappointing season-and-a-half since joining McLaren, had pledged his commitment to the team.

So how much did the 33-year-old know about what was going on between McLaren and Piastri?

“To be honest, on the date, that’s the first I’ve heard,” Ricciardo told Sky Italy on free practice day for the Dutch Grand Prix at Zandvoort.

“I’m not aware of obviously timelines and this and that, what the team is discussing.

“To be honest, already, let’s say before that date, let’s say months, we were already discussing, not my future, but of course where we can improve to try to have a better future with the team.

“So I’m aware there was going to be talks ongoing. In terms of timelines, I guess what the team does, let’s say preparing Oscar, that’s not also my business in terms of what they spoke this or that.

“If that’s the case, then so be it. It’s not really my decision to make.”

I am just pointing out what I have been reading...
Without clogging up this forum any more with long winded posts, you can read this article where it says "Asked by The Race why Alpine announced Piastri publicly when it knew of his intentions to leave, Szafnauer said: “At that point we were having discussions with Oscar, we were under the impression that the contract arrangements we had with Oscar were valid. We didn’t have the CRB [ruling] yet, that was the reason for it.”"

https://the-race.com/formula-1/alpine-s ... -to-leave/
So Otmar did know Oscar was leaving.

And RE Daniel, despite the headline of the below it quotes "for months, we were already discussing – not my future – but where we could improve to try to have a better future with the team. So, I’m aware there were going to be talks ongoing."
I never said he knew about the exact signing date, but he was clearly aware of ongoing discussions with other drivers and McLaren did not hide that from him.
https://the-race.com/formula-1/ricciard ... on-july-4/

F1since1980
F1since1980

Ok guys - enough said. - no more posts about this topic from me going forward. - I promise. Just trying to defend the team a bit, from what has been tough month for every fan I am sure. I always like to think there are two sides to every story.

Sorry for the long posts.
Cheers.

diffuser

It always boggles my mind on how F1 come up with these numbers...

They show that Alpine race paces is 1.06 off of RBR and they show McLaren .81 off.

Norris Number
L Time
1 17:03:43
2 1:23.764
3 2:03.177
4 1:35.832
5 1:23.689
6 2:05.944
7 1:23.699
8 P 1:44.807
9 8:45.307
10 1:22.338
11 P 1:49.723
12 10:15.845
13 1:26.757
14 1:27.066
15 1:27.257
16 1:26.882
17 1:26.604
18 1:26.804
19 1:27.563
20 1:27.096
21 1:27.089
22 1:26.812
23 1:28.514
24 P 1:32.556
25 2:08.897
26 1:28.202
27 1:26.093
28 1:44.820
29 P 2:0

Lap 13 to lap 23 as his long run pace on Mediums..

Alonso

4 1:23.486
5 1:57.534
6 P 1:37.345
7 13:30.501
8 1:22.752
9 1:54.960
10 P 10:40.134
11 2:09.573
12 1:27.032
13 1:26.605
14 1:26.549
15 1:26.595
16 1:26.652
17 1:26.629
18 1:26.840
19 1:26.465
20 1:26.494
21 1:26.560
22 1:26.370
23 1:26.718
24 1:26.589
25 1:26.750
26 1:54.693
27 P 2:16.634

Alonso's long runs , also on Mediums was on lap 12 to 26.

Alonso is doing mid 1:26s consistently and right to the end while Norris looks to not able to keep it up as his times start to drop off and then he pits.