2022 Alpine F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Kamel
Kamel

Re: 2022 Alpine F1 Team

I don’t see any prerequisites for Alpine to become a top team, big breakthroughs through updates needed to be quicker.
But for now 12kW (16hp) gap in MGU-K

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... all-sainz/

peewon

Alonso's gap went from around 4 secs at the start of the VSC to 6+ secs at the end. Similarly, when Ricciardo came out of the pits he was 5.5 secs behind Alonso but only about 2.5 at the resumption. Maybe it was some lag in the timing or was Alpine and Nando asleep at the wheel?

Alonsismo
Alonsismo

it was because the track positionof alonso when VSC ended.

if you are in a fast zone, then you will be in a bad situation because the speed difference between vsc delta and race speed is bigger on fast zones of the track than in slow zones.

max_speed
max_speed

This team will always be a midfield team and we have to make peace with it. Team with ambition and drive behave differently. Sometimes i feel, what makes driver like Alonso to belive in such projects. I guess , he wants to give himself one more chance to fight but he must realize in next 50 years chance will not come with Alpine. This team lacks high performance culture.

diffuser

peewon wrote:
13 Jun 2022, 12:31
Alonso's gap went from around 4 secs at the start of the VSC to 6+ secs at the end. Similarly, when Ricciardo came out of the pits he was 5.5 secs behind Alonso but only about 2.5 at the resumption. Maybe it was some lag in the timing or was Alpine and Nando asleep at the wheel?
You know I noticed that too. Not that it helped Daniel. The other thing is that 1KM at VSC speed might take 7 second but under race conditions it takes 2.

diffuser

Kamel wrote:
13 Jun 2022, 10:07
I don’t see any prerequisites for Alpine to become a top team, big breakthroughs through updates needed to be quicker.

The first Prerequisit is not to listen to other people HP numbers, they really don't know.
#1 They don't know if Alpine are still holding back on full tilt mode.
#2 MGU-K has been set to a fix power setting since before these PU era came into existince(pre 2014).
#3 The Artical says " Ferrari engine has the most power in the field." . Engine is ICE not MGU-K.
#4 When you're talking about PUs that might have 1200HP what's 12 HP ? What are Bigger factors is getting power to the ground and aero efficiancy. Change in chassis drag reduction can easily be equivelent to 100s of HP at speeds > 200KPH.

peewon

diffuser wrote:
13 Jun 2022, 14:49
peewon wrote:
You know I noticed that too. Not that it helped Daniel. The other thing is that 1KM at VSC speed might take 7 second but under race conditions it takes 2.
Its an interesting point you make but this is not a phenomenon Ive noticed consistently, with other drivers or in other races. Usually I think they're told to maintain the time delta. Also, Ive noticed certain drivers are more attuned to sneaking a few tenths here and there under VSC. The team should be on top of it though.

peewon

diffuser wrote:
13 Jun 2022, 15:04
Kamel wrote:

The first Prerequisit is not to listen to other people HP numbers, they really don't know.
#1 They don't know if Alpine are still holding back on full tilt mode.
#2 MGU-K has been set to a fix power setting since before these PU era came into existince(pre 2014).
#3 The Artical says " Ferrari engine has the most power in the field." . Engine is ICE not MGU-K.
#4 When you're talking about PUs that might have 1200HP what's 12 HP ? What are Bigger factors is getting power to the ground and aero efficiancy. Change in chassis drag reduction can easily be equivelent to 100s of HP at speeds > 200KPH.
At the same time, the gap could actually be wider. These are just estimates. Alpine have been running very low DF setups this year. Last year, Alpine internally pegged their deficit at around 35 hp from Mercedes and we know how much a difference it made on power circuits vs downforce circuits. I think even 16HP is a significant deficit. Not having to sacrifice DF would also enable better tyre life.

diffuser

peewon wrote:
13 Jun 2022, 16:14
diffuser wrote:
13 Jun 2022, 14:49
peewon wrote:
Its an interesting point you make but this is not a phenomenon Ive noticed consistently, with other drivers or in other races. Usually I think they're told to maintain the time delta. Also, Ive noticed certain drivers are more attuned to sneaking a few tenths here and there under VSC. The team should be on top of it though.

What I noticed was that I was watching TV and live tiimng at the same time. I had sync'd the two but then my Live timing crashed about 10 minuites before this sequence, I had to restart it. When I brought it back up, I had forgoten to sync the live timing to the TV telecast. I think the VSC ended on LT and I didn't notice cause I was also watching the TV screen. Maybe that's why the Gap Changed? Something similiar happen to you?

Alonsismo
Alonsismo

i think the new FIA rule about porpoising, should help alpine

diffuser

Alonsismo wrote:
17 Jun 2022, 12:47
i think the new FIA rule about porpoising, should help alpine
I think it could. From what I read they're just gathering data at this point.

selvam_e2002
selvam_e2002

ride height = low performance. so how it help Aline?

draghixa
draghixa

selvam_e2002 wrote:
17 Jun 2022, 17:23
ride height = low performance. so how it help Aline?
Because Teams suffering porpoising may need to rise the ride height and lose performance while Alpine is least likely in this situation.

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

Kamel wrote:

They say Renault powerunit is 12kw in total output power, not the MGU-K only. MGU-K is only 120kw and efficiency difference is maybe less than 1%, 1kw difference between the brands, or less.

But like another has pointed out. Output power itself is not telling much, because hybrid efficiency is just as important. A better hybrid system can give a longer deployment time. So maybe an engine has 2% less power, but 5% longer deployment, it is still faster.

Deployment is how much time the ERS can power the MGU-K during a lap.

Alonsismo
Alonsismo

i was thinking about alpine and the use of low angle rear and front wings.

May they use those wings because is the better way to reduce porpoising at high speed and at the same time having the car at the minimun height they can?