2022 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: 2022 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

That's now how you get the best out of engineers. Stroll sells clothes. He knows nothing about that.

Matechitz, Haas, Toto, John Elkan give the engineers creative space.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

NAPI10
NAPI10

Year started for Lance with bit of a Shame...beaten by a driver who got just 2 days in the car.

F1doc
F1doc

NAPI10 wrote: ↑
19 Mar 2022, 17:35
Year started for Lance with bit of a Shame...beaten by a driver who got just 2 days in the car.
Just 3 hours of practice. Calling it 2 days is a bit much.

Both cars out in Q1 doesn't surprise me as I wouldn't view Lance a team leader, and set up direction will be lacking.

NAPI10
NAPI10

F1doc wrote: ↑
19 Mar 2022, 17:48
NAPI10 wrote: ↑
19 Mar 2022, 17:35
Just 3 hours of practice. Calling it 2 days is a bit much.

Both cars out in Q1 doesn't surprise me as I wouldn't view Lance a team leader, and set up direction will be lacking.
Looking at Hulk time, Vettel could have gone couple of position higher. It's highly disappointing anyways....race pace is also not that good so everything comes down to reliability. It will be painful first half of a season. #-o #-o

Neuron
Neuron

With such performance I'm afraid that this is end of Vettel's career...

F1doc
F1doc

Neuron wrote: ↑
19 Mar 2022, 19:06
Only one Qualifying so far. It doesn't look good but with a new car, they have plenty to learn. In the heat of the day, they didn't look too bad, however in the dusk and cooler temps...

They had Lance in for 2 evenings of the pre-season test compared to one for Seb; Seb isn't racing this weekend to help guide on set up. I see no blame on Hulk as he is stepping in with no prep, and has gone faster than Lance either with skill if using the same set up (or he has figured out how to dial the car in). I don't think Lance has enough experience to lead the team on the technical side.

isullivan
isullivan

Maybe next year they buy this years Mercedes

AtlasZX

isullivan wrote: ↑
19 Mar 2022, 19:22
Maybe next year they buy this years Mercedes
It doesn't looks like a fast car either.

NAPI10
NAPI10

I don't think Vettel will take the decision based on this years performance. New members are joining the team; they will take some time to settle & start adding value. Team is moving to new facility by end of this year.
He will or should wait at least till end of 2023.

silver
silver

I wonder if it makes sense for Vettel to come back and drive. I don't think he signed up with Aston to be competing for Q3 spots. He should simply be gracious, retire and let Hulkenberg have a bit of time in F1. It would gutting to see Vettel fighting Williams at the back end of the grid. If he does want to continue, only hope is the new car in the wind tunnel currently.
[Edit]Sorry. Mistake, it was not Q3, it was Q1.
Last edited by silver on 19 Mar 2022, 19:56, edited 1 time in total.

NAPI10
NAPI10

silver wrote: ↑
19 Mar 2022, 19:42
I wonder if it makes sense for Vettel to come back and drive. I don't think he signed up with Aston to be competing for Q3 spots. He should simply be gracious, retire and let Hulkenberg have a bit of time in F1. It would gutting to see Vettel fighting Williams at the back end of the grid. If he does want to continue, only hope is the new car in the wind tunnel currently.
I don't think he will be available for Soudi next week...so 2 weeks of misery managed

F1doc
F1doc

F1doc wrote: ↑
19 Mar 2022, 19:15
Only one Qualifying so far. It doesn't look good but with a new car, they have plenty to learn. In the heat of the day, they didn't look too bad, however in the dusk and cooler temps...

They had Lance in for 2 evenings of the pre-season test compared to one for Seb; Seb isn't racing this weekend to help guide on set up. I see no blame on Hulk as he is stepping in with no prep, and has gone faster than Lance either with skill if using the same set up (or he has figured out how to dial the car in). I don't think Lance has enough experience to lead the team on the technical side.
I don't know if it is poor form to quote oneself, but I'll do it!

Team quotes confirms my suspicion Lance hadn't gone the right way with set up.

https://www.astonmartinf1.com/en-GB/new ... h-and-19th

"We are disappointed with today’s result and it is not what we expected after a positive FP3," said Lance.

"We made some changes to the car and perhaps they were in the wrong direction. In qualifying, we did not have the grip to extract the performance.

"We need to go over the data and understand it so we can learn from this. The early races are going to be a learning curve as we try to understand the car more.

"Tomorrow is a new day, so we will come back ready to try to make progress in the race."

diffuser

I'm a proud Canadian but I can still see that stroll is out of his depth.

PlatinumZealot

Yup. He said he will see how the year goes then make his decision. The only way Aston can keep him is if they radically develop to the point they are fighting for podiums every other race. It's possible in these new regs. Seb just has to be patient.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

diffuser

PlatinumZealot wrote: ↑
20 Mar 2022, 02:02
Yup. He said he will see how the year goes then make his decision. The only way Aston can keep him is if they radically develop to the point they are fighting for podiums every other race. It's possible in these new regs. Seb just has to be patient.
Albon or Hulk are better choices.