2022 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Big Tea

Re: 2022 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

NAPI10 wrote:
12 Apr 2022, 13:54
By the end of first 3 races, AM is officially last team in construction standing.
With crappy design concept, With one driver not improving & another on downward trajectory.....where they will end this season? #-o #-o
All compounded by losing Otmar, who seemed to be the guy holding the whole thing together
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

diffuser

Big Tea wrote:
12 Apr 2022, 14:30
NAPI10 wrote:
By the end of first 3 races, AM is officially last team in construction standing.
With crappy design concept, With one driver not improving & another on downward trajectory.....where they will end this season? #-o #-o
All compounded by losing Otmar, who seemed to be the guy holding the whole thing together
WEll, not sure you can put this squarely on the lack of Otmar, although I like him and happy he is at Alpine. Think thier biggest problem is they have 2 lousy drivers. A team can live with 1 lousy driver but 2 ?

But I agree AMR should never have taken the reins out of OtMar's hands. I bet he had nothing to do with hiring Vettel and letting Perez go.

If you look at Alpine, they basicaly built a good car without a team principle. Otmar didn't start till around the first preseason test.

Zynerji

Vettel should retire, and I am a huge fan. Better to take 4 into the history books than show the world your ass for 10 years in midfield cars...🙄

NAPI10
NAPI10

diffuser wrote:
12 Apr 2022, 14:45
Big Tea wrote:
NAPI10 wrote:
WEll, not sure you can put this squarely on the lack of Otmar, although I like him and happy he is at Alpine. Think thier biggest problem is they have 2 lousy drivers. A team can live with 1 lousy driver but 2 ?

But I agree AMR should never have taken the reins out of OtMar's hands. I bet he had nothing to do with hiring Vettel and letting Perez go.

If you look at Alpine, they basicaly built a good car without a team principle. Otmar didn't start till around the first preseason test.
Is there anything to salvage from this season? There is no point in bringing upgrade to this design philosophy.Gap to mid-field is too large to cover with this car.
Next year is going to be 'Make or Break' year for AM. If the team doesn't take step forward(at least top of Mid-field); Lawrence will go into 'Sell/Exit' mode.

diffuser

NAPI10 wrote:
12 Apr 2022, 19:55
diffuser wrote:
12 Apr 2022, 14:45
Big Tea wrote:

Is there anything to salvage from this season? There is no point in bringing upgrade to this design philosophy.Gap to mid-field is too large to cover with this car.
Next year is going to be 'Make or Break' year for AM. If the team doesn't take step forward(at least top of Mid-field); Lawrence will go into 'Sell/Exit' mode.
Maybe they'll get purchased buy VW.

They still need to figure out what is wrong with this car. Can't see how they don't have the same problem next year if they don't.

Also, they're probably not as bad as they look. The work around for porpoising is probably just making it look a lot worse.

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

I feel Lawrence Stroll brought in allot of money, but also killed the efficiency of this team. They built several top 10 cars, with a minimal budget. But now hardly reach midfield with a midfield budget. And now Otmar also hinted at Stroll sr wants to much hands on influence on the team.

diffuser

NL_Fer wrote:
13 Apr 2022, 07:30
I feel Lawrence Stroll brought in allot of money, but also killed the efficiency of this team. They built several top 10 cars, with a minimal budget. But now hardly reach midfield with a midfield budget. And now Otmar also hinted at Stroll sr wants to much hands on influence on the team.
Yep, he needs to be more of a "I'll get you want you tell me you need guy".

Fallows hasn't arrived yet. Isn't he do in April?

Be a few months before his impact will start to be felt. On the track even longer.

prendrefeu
prendrefeu

diffuser wrote:
12 Apr 2022, 21:59
That would be the best scenario for the long-haul because it would allow Aston Martin, both in racing and production vehicles, to get away from Mercedes engines.

The best scenario is for each team to produce its own engines (most teams representing a production marque, exceptions of RedBull/Alpha Tauri). Why? The trend of a team using a purchased-engine performing worse than the team with their own engine is not a coincidence, and I'd like someone to point me to a year in which a team with a purchased PU performed better than the team with their own marque's PU.

tpe
tpe

Red Bull/ Renault?

continuum16

prendrefeu wrote:
13 Apr 2022, 19:28
diffuser wrote:
That would be the best scenario for the long-haul because it would allow Aston Martin, both in racing and production vehicles, to get away from Mercedes engines.

The best scenario is for each team to produce its own engines (most teams representing a production marque, exceptions of RedBull/Alpha Tauri). Why? The trend of a team using a purchased-engine performing worse than the team with their own engine is not a coincidence, and I'd like someone to point me to a year in which a team with a purchased PU performed better than the team with their own marque's PU.
Not to get sidetracked, but I'm pretty sure the Renault works team failed to beat its customers in 2009-11 (Red Bull) and 2016-2020 (Red Bull, then McLaren).

The question for Audi/VW is rather they'd have AM or Sauber I think; AM would come with a brand new factory, but marketing as Aston Martin-Audi seems convoluted (although obviously right now it's AM-Merc). I think Sauber would be more receptive to an outright takeover, which seems to be the preferred route from Audi. The team seems to be at a fork in the road, pushing and pulling in a lot of directions. For the sake of the people there I hope they improve enough this year to save face, because I fear Andy Green will be sitting quite uncomfortably for the next few months.
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

NAPI10
NAPI10

continuum16 wrote:
13 Apr 2022, 20:47
prendrefeu wrote:
diffuser wrote:

Not to get sidetracked, but I'm pretty sure the Renault works team failed to beat its customers in 2009-11 (Red Bull) and 2016-2020 (Red Bull, then McLaren).

The question for Audi/VW is rather they'd have AM or Sauber I think; AM would come with a brand new factory, but marketing as Aston Martin-Audi seems convoluted (although obviously right now it's AM-Merc). I think Sauber would be more receptive to an outright takeover, which seems to be the preferred route from Audi. The team seems to be at a fork in the road, pushing and pulling in a lot of directions. For the sake of the people there I hope they improve enough this year to save face, because I fear Andy Green will be sitting quite uncomfortably for the next few months.
Andy Green should not be part of F1 car design anymore

continuum16

NAPI10 wrote:
13 Apr 2022, 21:28
continuum16 wrote:
prendrefeu wrote:

At the rate they're going, you're probably right and he won't be for much longer. The 'old guard' is slowly being shuffled out the door. First Perez, then Otmar, surely Green will be next; Fallows is clearly going to be heading this up. Also the last competitive car they "designed from scratch" was probably 2017/18, so it's been 5 years since he's produced something good.
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

diffuser

prendrefeu wrote:
diffuser wrote:

Like to see you proove that was the PU doing doing and not the $$$ the top team had over everyone else.

Need to start looking at trends from this day forward. Lots of changes were introduced that prevent the PU manufacturer from having and edge.

diffuser

NAPI10 wrote:
13 Apr 2022, 21:28
continuum16 wrote:
prendrefeu wrote:

As of 2022 Green was promoted to Chief Technical Officer as part of a reshuffle with Dan Fallows to take his place as technical director.

He doesn't really have alot to do with the day to day. He's a manager. Spends alteast as much time on improving efficiancy. The put Fallows bellow him. so he should have more car focus than CFO.

aran.vtec
aran.vtec

diffuser wrote:
13 Apr 2022, 12:39
NL_Fer wrote:
13 Apr 2022, 07:30
Yep, he needs to be more of a "I'll get you want you tell me you need guy".

Fallows hasn't arrived yet. Isn't he do in April?

Be a few months before his impact will start to be felt. On the track even longer.
This is exactly how I thought the team should of been handled, New regulations + budget cap played right into the "old" teams hands and gave the team the opportunity to become a front runner but ever since Lawrence stroll and the pink merc the team has taken a step back every year