2022 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: 2022 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

AR3-GP wrote: ↑
23 Oct 2022, 23:56
Vettel's pace today.... :wtf:

Especially compared to literally having the worst car on the grid in the first 3 races. It has been an almost unbelievable recovery of form for Aston Martin.
Lances Pace waa good before he crashed. He was keeping up with VET.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

diffuser

MadMax wrote: ↑
26 Oct 2022, 22:43
diffuser wrote: ↑
26 Oct 2022, 22:01
26 Oct 2022, 19:11

Alonso was a free agent for 2023. Sainz, Hamilton, Verstappen are not free agents. They have contracts.

As for what Stroll's "contract" situation is...well...Lawrence probably has full say on whether Stroll drives or not which is why a Vettel-Alonso pairing would have been realistic. Unlike the drivers you mentioned who have contracts with other teams.
Like I said, the only reason why Lawrence is in F1 is cause of Lance. My guess would be, no Lance no Lawrence unless Lance is ready to move on. As long as Lance wants a drive, he will have one.
In fairness, Lawrence had an interest in motorsport and F1 in particular for a long time. I think his support of Junior is really him living his own F1 dreams vicariously.
Maybe, but you're making my point. The 2 go hand in hand.

NAPI10
NAPI10

I think, Seb must be repenting his decision to retire. He shouldn't have joined AM in the first place. If u took that decision then give at least 3 years to the team who is the fastest-growing team in F1. Their investment in high-profile technical staff started paying off plus the new facility will give the added edge next year. Seb definitely robbed fans of amazing moments such as his charge in Austin to secure 7th.
As far as Lance goes, he definitely raised his game after the announcement of Seb's departure. He was having a brilliant weekend up until that suicidal move on Alonso. He is operating at Gasly, Ocon level at present.

continuum16

If the season started now and there were 20 races between now and the "end" of the season, I think AM could probably put up a good fight with Alpine and McLaren. Maybe on pure pace the other two are faster, but McLaren only has one driver and Alpine's car is not exactly reliable. Either way this is a massive step from the first few races when the team were debatably behind Williams.

I expect that Seb probably regrets his decision, to some degree at least. But when he made the decision they were nowhere so it was understandable. Now Fernando on the other hand, will be licking his chops seeing the progress the team have made. I think that Fernando would not be remarkably far off his current level if he was in the Aston instead of the Alpine, such is the gap they've closed. I will admit I did not think they would do it, at least this year.

Lance just needs better depth perception and/or situational awareness, because (to Seb at least) there is not a glaring deficit in speed in most conditions. But there is a suspicious pattern of people crashing into the rear wheels or sidepods of car no. 18...
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

organic

continuum16 wrote: ↑
27 Oct 2022, 16:41
If the season started now and there were 20 races between now and the "end" of the season, I think AM could probably put up a good fight with Alpine and McLaren. Maybe on pure pace the other two are faster, but McLaren only has one driver and Alpine's car is not exactly reliable. Either way this is a massive step from the first few races when the team were debatably behind Williams.

I expect that Seb probably regrets his decision, to some degree at least. But when he made the decision they were nowhere so it was understandable. Now Fernando on the other hand, will be licking his chops seeing the progress the team have made. I think that Fernando would not be remarkably far off his current level if he was in the Aston instead of the Alpine, such is the gap they've closed. I will admit I did not think they would do it, at least this year.

Lance just needs better depth perception and/or situational awareness, because (to Seb at least) there is not a glaring deficit in speed in most conditions. But there is a suspicious pattern of people crashing into the rear wheels or sidepods of car no. 18...
There has recently been a run of as bunch of races where higher downforce packages are useful - Suzuka being wet amplified this. Abu Dhabi will once again reveal this car's weakness which has been straightline performance.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

organic wrote: ↑
27 Oct 2022, 16:48

There has recently been a run of as bunch of races where higher downforce packages are useful - Suzuka being wet amplified this. Abu Dhabi will once again reveal this car's weakness which has been straightline performance.
Here is what I can't piece together:

AMR22 -> Looks like a Red Bull, but slow on straights.

What is it about the AM that is making them slow on the straights?

I'm not too sure it's the PU (well atleast not the bulk of the issue), because AT have Honda and they aren't setting any records down the straights either.

diffuser

27 Oct 2022, 17:06
organic wrote: ↑
27 Oct 2022, 16:48

Here is what I can't piece together:

AMR22 -> Looks like a Red Bull, but slow on straights.

What is it about the AM that is making them slow on the straights?

I'm not too sure it's the PU (well atleast not the bulk of the issue), because AT have Honda and they aren't setting any records down the straights either.
Because the amount of power needed to overcome drag goes up exponentially the faster you're traveling, it's almost never the PU. 20Hp more power will be much more apparent below 300KPH than above. I think they're so bad in a straight line cause they're not generating alot of DF from the floor. This results in them running more rear wing and BEAm wing to get aroundthe corners...

@continuum16 You can't assume that just because the Renault PU has not been overly reliable to this point in the season, that it will continue to be unreleiable. They are making changes as they go to fix those issues.

search

they also don't have a rear suspension as "active" as Red Bull, of course, which was reported to be one of the keys contributing to their high speed advantage

Ashwinv16

Re: Aston Martin AMR22

Since Singapore Aston clearly has the 4th fastest car in terms of Race pace.
Halo not as bad as we thought

Big Tea

Re: Aston Martin AMR22

Ashwinv16 wrote: ↑
28 Oct 2022, 01:45
Since Singapore Aston clearly has the 4th fastest car in terms of Race pace.
You would put them above Mclaren and Alpine?

Then I suppose it depends if you compare Alonso / Vittel / Lando, and Occon / Stroll / Dann?
It could be seen either way I suppose

Which ever, they seem on the up.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

diffuser

search wrote: ↑
27 Oct 2022, 22:18
they also don't have a rear suspension as "active" as Red Bull, of course, which was reported to be one of the keys contributing to their high speed advantage
What does that mean "Active" rear suspension?

search

28 Oct 2022, 17:28
the car gets lower with speed

https://www.planetf1.com/news/ted-kravi ... not-trick/

diffuser

28 Oct 2022, 18:40

Isn't that the normal tendency of a car, for the rear end to squat with speed(increase DF on the rear+Beam wing and under accelleration from the twisting of the rear axle?

There is also a min height they can go. I presume for this to work, they get max DF from the floor at a higher ride height(than the min) and the floor stalls at the min ride hieght? or is the decreased in drag just coming from the change in the angle of the rear + beam wings?

Think the suspension might be the easy part. Generating more DF at higher ride height is the real trick.
Last edited by diffuser on 28 Oct 2022, 21:07, edited 1 time in total.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

28 Oct 2022, 19:01

Isn't that the normal tendency of a car, for the rear end to squat with speed(increase DF on the rear+Beam wing and under accelleration from the twisting of the rear axle?

There is also a min height they can go. I presume for this to work, they get max DF from the floor at a higher ride height(than the min) and the floor stalls at the min ride hieght? or is the decreased in drag just coming from the change in the angle of the rear + beam wings?

Think the suspension might be the easy part. Generating more DF at heigher ride height is the real trick.
Yeah people are making it out to be more simple than it really is. Just like the Merc's of old. It's not one singular thing making them quick. It's the entire package in harmony.

diffuser

28 Oct 2022, 19:22
28 Oct 2022, 19:01

Think the suspension might be the easy part. Generating more DF at heigher ride height is the real trick.
Yeah people are making it out to be more simple than it really is. Just like the Merc's of old. It's not one singular thing making them quick. It's the entire package in harmony.
I also have my doudts that it is even possible(the aero part) in this short a time into this new set of regs. To have the wherewithal to not go for max DF. Instead, to try and acheive max DF at a higher height, when typically a lower height is were you're gonna generate more DF, would be something. Oh and I forgot the then try and stall the floor at the lower level. The Beam/Rear wing angle change is MUCH easier.
Last edited by diffuser on 28 Oct 2022, 21:15, edited 3 times in total.